• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Joint pain

Ruthiep

One of the reasons I went down the WLS route was to help with my painful and debilitating osteo arthritis. Since losing 37lbs so far I have really felt so much better, the pains in my knees, spine and ankle have been much reduced. So I was really puzzled and upset when last night my left knee started hurting me sharply whenever I changed position in bed. It was a throwback to the bad old days.

Why would this be? Am I deficient in some vitamin or mineral do you suppose?

oh no Ruthie :( cant help im afraid. but hope you get it sorted soon :) xxx

Hi ruthie
Do you take anything extra apart from multi vits? Also have you had a blood test at the doctors yet. Im going for mine today to check B12, folate, glucose & 2 other things ive forgotten the name of. My doctor said he likes to check bloods for sleevers as well as bypass patients. You never know it could show up something your deficient in. Hopefully this is just a blip and will gradually lessen as you lose some more weight.
Hope it doesn't play you up too much.
Kim

My joint pain lessened for a few months and then unfortunately came back full force. The doctors have been wonderful about playing around to find the right medications for me.

You will find our surge of energy in the begining tends to mask a lot of aches and pains.Then they kick in again,slow steady exercise will help.Good shoes and posture too.
My lower back and hip gave me hell at Xmas.Our skeleton shifts with each loss and takes time to adjust.We need to strengthen our muscles and bones.Exercise builds bone as well as muscle.Maz x

Hm, thanks all. As to blood tests, yes I have had one soon after my op and it showed I was perfectly OK in all departments except vitamin D so my GP prescribed an extra strength vitamin D capsule to be taken just once a week. Other than my multivits I take iron, and calcium with vitamin D (obviously not enough of the latter!)

Hm...cos last time I lost a lot of weight my arthritic pain disappeared completely so I was a bit surprised to feel the knee pain last night. Anyway been walking today and been pain free so am hopeful it was a blip as someone said. Maybe I've been a bit rubbish at taking my iron syrup, it has the potential to make me quite sick sometimes so I tend to avoid it, but I made sure to have a goodly swig of it this morning!

Thanks again!

Weightloss cannot cure osteoarthritis but it can make it a he'll of a lot easier. I will still have to have a knee replacement op but the less pressure put on the new knee the better it will be.

hi ruthie,
i too have osteo arthritis in both knees and hips and i too am having wls in the hope of taking away some of the crippling pain.
congratulations on your weight loss to date and it is great to here that up until this recent 'blip' your pain had decreased. i can't wait for that to happen to me.
don't laugh but, i sometimes get extra pain in extreme cold weather. it has been bitterly cold this past week - could you pain be linked to this? just a thought my love.
jan xx

Jan: could be, but then wouldn't it be worse outdoors than inside in a nice warm bed?

I know osteoarthritis won't go away because I've been sleeved but as you say, I'm hoping it will get a lot easier with less pressure on it.

i have rheumatoid and oesteo arthiritis and the pain has got worse for me too lately plus the broken ribs which they think is due to my bones thinning even more :( i have 4 adcal d3 a day and the extra strength vit d as well as sulphasalazine for the rheumatoid and all the other vits and 3 iron tabs a day , i was really hoping it would help my knees and hips and any other joint which decides it is sore that day and suppose it must because there's less stress on them but unfortunately it is a very painful condition and they can't cure us :(

hi angie,
guess i must lower my expectations. nothing is a miracle cure is it? i just hope the pain is lessened a bit or that my knees collapse less often?
good luck with your wl journey my love
jan xx

we've got to keep positive though :) i think of myself like a lorry that's overloaded and the springs (knees) are under so much stress but when you watch a lorry un load the springs go back up again they are our shock absorbers just need more servicing nowadays :)

I am walking a lot at the moment and the pain is dreadful. As you say much worse at night and I don't know why either. The strain of walking makes it much worse because of the inflammation it causes. Weight surely must add 10 fold. If I am fairly sedentary the pain eases off but who wants to lie about all day. Mine must be so obvious now because people offer to help me so roll on getting rid of the weight.

i'm 50 now but feel more like 80 some days :) i looked a right idiot the other week walking with my stick, holding my ribs and trying not to slip on the ice taxi driver got out to help me :( but i refuse to sit in the house all day the doctors kept saying give up work etc etc but no way as long as i can i will :)

i've swam 36 lengths today :) very proud of myself i went the other week before my ribs broke and only did 18 so much better today, i couldn't stay in the jacuzzi though the air pressure of the pump was too strong for my ribs :( got appt with trainer on tuesday to see what if anything i can do in the gym and what exercise classes i can do eg pilates i quite fancy that and it's supposed to be strengthening for bones xx

I must start going swimming. No pressure on the old knees. Awful to think people so much younger than me suffer so much already. I am sorry.

you know what they say Angee never give in :) when my daughter was a little girl she used to say it's not impossible just more difficult :)

Back