• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits about having had the sleeve!

Sashie1977 said:
I love this thread! I had the sleeve 6 1/2 weeks ago.
Pros: I have dropped almost 3 stone, by blood pressure is now below normal, my skin and hair are glowing and I feel amazing. I am so happy I have done this.

Cons: I can't seem to slow down my eating and I keep being sick after everything I eat :(
I also can't stop drinking tea with my food....I know it's not allowed but I am finding it a very hard habit to break. I often wonder if I should just stick to the liquid stage!
Will I ever be able to eat normally without being sick? It makes going out for dinner quite awkward! :/

Please where did you have your surgery? I'm looking for a good surgeon in Europe with good record

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to the site having spent the last few months seriously considering and researching WLS and went for a free appointment today with a WLS dietician at Spire. To be honest in my gut I know this is the right route for me but I know my friends and family would not understand or support me so I'm keeping it all to myself and finding the lack of support/someone to talk to really hard. Has anyone else gone through with surgery where they've not told others? How do you deal with all the questions on work leave and your sudden weight loss? I'm going to have to privately fund somehow because I don't want to wait to keep putting on more weight and deteriorating health before the NHS will consider me, I want to be pre-emptive because I've been overweight since I was 10 years old and it does majorly affect my life. As I've researched more into it I've switched thoughts from Balloon to Band to POSE and now pretty sure I've settled on the gastric sleeve being best for me. Thanks for starting this thread ruthie and to everyone sharing their pros and cons, it's really helpful to read and get the real picture, please keep posting! Has anyone in the North London/Beds/Herts area had private surgery and could recommend? I'd like to check out a few options rather than just go to the nearest hospital Thanks xx

Hi, I only shared my decision with a handful of people, and to be honest, I think I must have covers myself up so much previously that actually no one has noticed my 2. And a half stone weight loss! My brother is aware of surgery but he couldn't tell. I told people I had
gastric flu and I'd lost weight, and that it had given me the motivation to keep being good !!
Had my op at a spire hospital. Feel free to pm me or read my diary, sleeve by default but so happy xx

Good Points I survived the surgery :p

I have lost as much weight as my body is happy with not moved since xmas but went from a sz 22 to a sz 12 :)

Dietitain told me to eat full fat foods but only the amount I can get in which is still less than a child portion so atleast I am getting in my cals

I get a pain when ive eaten enough so I stand and empty the remainder in the bin so I cant sneak a bit more :)

I have more energy for a chronic fatigue suffer that is a plus just havent managed to pace myself properly so still have crash days (but atleast I enjoyed myself on a good day :) )

Bad Points:

Bowl movements lucky to go once a week yuck.............bloated feeling not good my own fault forget to help myself :)

I forget to take my Vits daily but docs take regular bloods and all is OK

Fibromyalgia pain has not eased but you cant win it all :)

all in all NO BAD POINTS really best thing I have done to make myself healthier
my doctor actually said I look 20 yrs younger after not seeing me personally for a while WOW!!!

If your in doubt dont be it is worth the journey to a better life go for it you only live once make the most of it :)

I had my sleeve 4 days ago on Tuesday late afternoon 27 May- I was kept in hospital for 3 nights which upset me seeing bypasses leave and me not. I suffered terribly with wound pain and wind, some nurses clearly had bariatric experience- others not!

Cons- seemed to have suffered pain wise and in recovery more than most people
Still very reliant on pain relief
Needing help and things taking do long yo do- I'm yes to being very independant
Struggle to have enough fluid, horrid soluble drugs and liquids sloppy food- bit of a full time job- and I'm struggling to have 1tbsp of purée without feeling sick
Awful reaction to Forcival so scared to try it again and in a lot of pain after sick/ straining
Burping - but nothing the other end
Exhausted
Coughing very painful

Pros- it's done and onto the next stage
Home not in hospital - own bed is a luxury!

Feeling a bit sorry for myself but no there is so much good around the corner

Good Points I survived the surgery :p I have lost as much weight as my body is happy with not moved since xmas but went from a sz 22 to a sz 12 :) Dietitain told me to eat full fat foods but only the amount I can get in which is still less than a child portion so atleast I am getting in my cals I get a pain when ive eaten enough so I stand and empty the remainder in the bin so I cant sneak a bit more :) I have more energy for a chronic fatigue suffer that is a plus just havent managed to pace myself properly so still have crash days (but atleast I enjoyed myself on a good day :) ) Bad Points: Bowl movements lucky to go once a week yuck.............bloated feeling not good my own fault forget to help myself :) I forget to take my Vits daily but docs take regular bloods and all is OK Fibromyalgia pain has not eased but you cant win it all :) all in all NO BAD POINTS really best thing I have done to make myself healthier my doctor actually said I look 20 yrs younger after not seeing me personally for a while WOW!!! If your in doubt dont be it is worth the journey to a better life go for it you only live once make the most of it :)

Hi I'm booked to have my sleeve done on 3rd July and I was interested to see you have fibromyalgia as I also have that. Did you suffer any side effects with the fibromyalgia ie a flare up post surgery?? I'm really worried about this xx

This is such a wonderful and honest thread I love reading about everyone's experiences can't wait for my operation date.
Thanks everyone for your personal experiences through your journeys x

I was sleeved 30 April 2014

Pro's:

with pre op diet I've lost 22kg / 46lb so far
I'm shrinking!
My incisions healed really well with no issues and scars are now fading.
Homerton team have been amazing, so supportive
Work have been amazing, I'm on full salary for up to 6 months of illness, fingers crossed I won't be off that long
Sex feels amazing because there's less flab in the way! (TMI)
Not spending a fortune on eating and drinking
I had a surprise hernia when they opened me up so they fixed that too - it was 2 4 1 surgery!
Apparently I don't snore like I used to

Con's:

I'm still on liquids and puree, have been really struggling with vomitting.
I've had diarrhea since my op so hard to keep hydrated
Hair is thinning, losing a lot in shower
Work won't have me back until I'm on food and not throwing up so whilst I'm being paid it's getting boring at home!
My larger friends making snide remarks because they are jealous
My head hasn't caught up with my body, I have no confidence with clothes etc and keep trying on old size 22 when I'm out but can squeeze into an 18 - this should be exciting but it's a bit overwhelming
I don't have much energy
I need early night's every night
Can't go out with friends in evenings because I'm too tired

That's it so far, I think my cons will all pass with time as I get better. I don't regret it at all and hope it'll be the best thing I've ever done.

S x

I was sleeved 30 April 2014 Pro's: with pre op diet I've lost 22kg / 46lb so far I'm shrinking! My incisions healed really well with no issues and scars are now fading. Homerton team have been amazing, so supportive Work have been amazing, I'm on full salary for up to 6 months of illness, fingers crossed I won't be off that long Sex feels amazing because there's less flab in the way! (TMI) Not spending a fortune on eating and drinking I had a surprise hernia when they opened me up so they fixed that too - it was 2 4 1 surgery! Apparently I don't snore like I used to Con's: I'm still on liquids and puree, have been really struggling with vomitting. I've had diarrhea since my op so hard to keep hydrated Hair is thinning, losing a lot in shower Work won't have me back until I'm on food and not throwing up so whilst I'm being paid it's getting boring at home! My larger friends making snide remarks because they are jealous My head hasn't caught up with my body, I have no confidence with clothes etc and keep trying on old size 22 when I'm out but can squeeze into an 18 - this should be exciting but it's a bit overwhelming I don't have much energy I need early night's every night Can't go out with friends in evenings because I'm too tired That's it so far, I think my cons will all pass with time as I get better. I don't regret it at all and hope it'll be the best thing I've ever done. S x

Really helpful !!

Hi, first post, & looking for honest opinions.

I'm waiting for an appointment to get the camera down inside my stomach, if all is well, I'll be getting a date for the sleeve. I've had the camera down twice before, but the bariatric team want to look for themselves.

So, looking about the web I came across this forum, & this thread. I have to say that a lot of what has been classed as "bad points" I haven't been told about.

I'm now having second thoughts on having surgery, mainly because of the permanent change in life style.

I have a good social life, & like a drink, along with having a meal, this will no longer be the case reading the posts above.

Could someone be truthful & post how much liquid they can drink, & would it be possible to go out for a meal.?

I can see by a few posts that I think I know the answer, but just to satisfy my curiosity, as nothing was said at my last appointment.

Since first going to the first seminar, I've lost 2st dieting on my own, I'm wanting to do it myself without surgery, the latter been the last resort.

I do feel that I need to be able to let my hair down once in a while, but surgery will undoubtedly take that option away, am I right.?

I was 25-1/2st at first, down to 23-1/2st now & feel better for it, I've set 20st as a target weight for myself, if I can get down to that I'll be well chuffed.

So if possible, someone that has led a lifestyle like mine above, & has had the sleeve, could you tell me post surgery how you feel about your permanent change, & are you glad you did it.

I feel I need answers from people who are in the position of having the surgery, from the horses mouth so to speak, before I can commit myself to go any further.

Thanks in advance,

Korky.

Hi Korky. I had the sleeve in May last year. It hasn't stopped me going out for meals - you just need to adapt. At first you will be on a liquid diet, I went for a cafe lunch during this time and had soup. Puree is more tricky but again soup is a good standby. Soft food is a little easier - omlette, jacket potato (not the skin) etc. Once you are on 'normal' food you can have anything!
As to size of meals - again with planning this can be achieved. You can ask for a child's portion, not every place will allow this - but it's worth asking. A lot of places do light bites, or will let you have a starter instead of a main. Another thing I've done is share a curry with my friend who has a small appetite.
As for alcohol, I didn't touch it for 3 months as advised by my team. Every team has different ideas on this, some say 12 months some say never! It is up to you, but you feel drunk much more quickly post op. Also fizzy is not a good thing as it fills you full of gas and can stretch your stomach. I do now have the odd glass of wine, or even beer as it is not too fizzy draught.
I was quite determined that having the op would not mean I couldn't live a normal life. I mostly eat the same food as my family and we eat out. I go out with friends and work colleagues. I learned not to care if I left food on my plate. At the end of the day my 7st weight loss is far more beneficial to me than being able to eat or drink loads!

Hi MCW, Thanks for the detailed reply.

I received my appointment for a Gastroscopy yesterday to attend in a couple of weeks time, so things are moving along.

I got a phone no for one of the bariatrics team on my second visit, who I'm going to phone today, the reason is, I really need to do this myself, I just can't make my mind up at this point in time...:confused:

Cheers,

Korky.

Hi MCW, Thanks for the detailed reply.

I received my appointment for a Gastroscopy yesterday to attend in a couple of weeks time, so things are moving along.

I got a phone no for one of the bariatrics team on my second visit, who I'm going to phone today, the reason is, I really need to do this myself, I just can't make my mind up at this point in time...:confused:

Cheers,

Korky.

Good luck on your decision x

Please where did you have your surgery? I'm looking for a good surgeon in Europe with good record

Yes very good pro's and con's I'm sure that it will settle down early day's. I am just awaiting my 1st letter which gives my appointment for the 7th Nov but I can't wait to be in your shoes with a great weight loss etc. But I've only got my 1st foot on ladder x

Just found this. .. would be great if people started adding to this thread again! ! Saw surgeon last week after a referral con my gp only 5 weeks ago. ..I cannot believe they said yes and it's all systems go! !have decided on the sleeve. ..I Think? !!! I know there are going to be cons but I think the weight loss all be the biggest pro ever. .. thanks everyone for your honest thoughts its really helped. X

Just found this. .. would be great if people started adding to this thread again! ! Saw surgeon last week after a referral con my gp only 5 weeks ago. ..I cannot believe they said yes and it's all systems go! !have decided on the sleeve. ..I Think? !!! I know there are going to be cons but I think the weight loss all be the biggest pro ever. .. thanks everyone for your honest thoughts its really helped. X

Have you had your surgery yet?

Hi all

Thinking of seeing someone about a sleeve. It's great to read all the pro's & con's. I am no stranger to weight loss surgery had 2 failed gastric bands ?.

Can anyone recommend a surgeon/company (not hospital group) at present I'm thinking spire.

Thanks guys xx

Pre op

Any one out there had a sleeve and has type 1 diabetes . Just had my one stop clinic at uclh last week so waiting for mdt to make a dicision t.i.a

Faye4boys,
I do not have an answer to your question but someone should come along soon to answer you. Alternatively you can post your question under pre-op section.

I am glad you brought this thread forward though. I read these entries pre-op, and now op a lot makes more sense.

I am only three week out so feel too early to add to the best and worst bits yet.

Hope some others will continue adding comments. I will visit this page in a months time - when I have fully recovered and started eating normal food again.

Back