• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just a quick question

lotsabeefy

When i get my op, i'll have to travel approx 50 miles in some direction to get it and i was just wandering what you guys who also had to travel did regarding visiting and support etc?
Did you ride it out alone or did your family/friends come and see you cos i've noticed from a few diary's etc; that most people accompanying are asked to leave quite early on.:confused:

I had my girlfriend there with me all the time. My parents then came a couple of hours after my op and they were asked to leave around 10pm.... However I was private, so it might be different on NHS.

I do have a feeling it will differ hospital to hospital tho

x

I am fortunate my hospital is fairly local. My mum and daughter came with me the day of my op, but they have to take it in turns to sit with me till my op, as I was only allowed one person. After my op my mum and daughter came daily. My brother who I hardly ever see came the evening after my op. Was a bit out of it so just about remember him being there lol. On my ward visiting time ended at 8pm.

I went in with my parents (I do not drive) and my best friend. They went off for a walk while I went down to surgery though were welcome to stay. They came back once I was out and stayed with me from about 2 till 8pm but could have stayed longer. The visiting times were 9am-9pm and other times if you asked a nurse to arrange it. This was private.

I travelled from Edinburgh to Manchester for my op and went private. My family came with me and were allowed to be there as much as they wanted within reason, of course. Probably different rules at different hospitals.

Good luck with your op though.

You really will have to check with the hospital as they all seem to differ, not only between NHS and Private. They should be able to tell you what is allowed there.

Good Luck with your opp, just make sure who ever picks you up brings a pillow to put under the seat belt accross your stomach.

Jeanx

I think it will all depend on the hospital you go to. I was at Salford Royal and my mum was allowed to stay with me till i got took down to theatre then there was visiting hours on the ward they were 3pm-4pm and 6pm-7.30pm.

Hope this helps.

I rid it out like a soldier . There and back all on my own.

Marks right visiting times do vary from hospital to hospital

Jean is right, do take a pillow to put between tummy and seatbelt. It feels like yr insides are going to shoot out when the driver brakes suddently. (Which my OH did).

My op was also 50 miles away from me.My Mum drove me there, and was allowed to stay all day and until after my op, so only went home late that night.The day after she came all day, but I was in a private room even though the op was on NHS, so may be different to if you're on a ward;)
Where are you having your op?

My op was 90 miles away, I went there by train and got a mate to collect me by car when I was released who then insisted on stopping at a motorway service station to sit down for his lunch in burger king :doh:. I told my relatives to stay home no point travelling that far to see me in pjamas with tubes in my arm

I also had to travel think it was about 40 miles.Pete came every day to see me, but I told everyone else not to bother and visit once I was home as it was an 80 mile round trip

My op was also 50 miles away from me.My Mum drove me there, and was allowed to stay all day and until after my op, so only went home late that night.The day after she came all day, but I was in a private room even though the op was on NHS, so may be different to if you're on a ward;)
Where are you having your op?
Dont know yet but it looks loike people from my neck of the woodsare either going o Cheadle or the Wirral

My main concern is my children, I dont want them to be left without both their parents while my husband i with me they'll be worried enough. My mum is coming over but i think she will drive me insane.
I think its best we all drive together I kiss them goodbye and see them all when i am discarged.

Back