• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A call to caution

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
This is just a note of interest not s criticism of anyone, anything just a warning from my own experience that could be useful.

What do you do when you are so far out (5.5 years), have had no support from your privately funded team and now feel lost and alone? I’ve tried with forums, tried really hard but the ‘well researched’ newcomers or those who have had no problems are so ready to claim their expert status based solely on their experience they decry anything you post. Up until 5 years out I had 2 years when I lost slowly but eventually after a great deal of effort managed to exceed 100% EWL. So I underwent plastics, fortunately able to fund myself and very pleased. I really thought aged 57 this was it, a good few decades to actually enjoy and live a normal life, giving many thanks to the bypass. Wrong - years 3 to 5 what a struggle, regain, loss, regain. Demonstrating my head was not in remotely the right zone. Cue over £2500 on private CBT – little to no help. Then bolt from the blue developed a major problem with weight loss, it shot off me like no tomorrow enough to send me from 12 stone down to under 9 in weeks. Investigated for everything but no answers.

The answer came very fortunately but totally randomly, nothing at all to do with many expensive consultations with my team who really couldn’t care less. Yes it wasn’t eventually diagnosed as your wls problem but they made no attempt to refer me on or even consider what to do next. My cousin (a maxio-facillo surgeon herself) was very worried by all this as we are very close. She mentioned, when doing a stint as a visiting lecturer at the hospital in Stockholm, to the maxfax team there how worried she was about me at lunch one day and stated that there had been no problems with the bypass other than finding massive ovarian cysts. This was overheard by a gynaecological professor there and she sought my cousin out to get more details. These were that ovarian cysts were found during the bypass op and were described by the wls surgeon operating as ‘massive’. Gynaecologist consulted at that time said to forget about it I was menopausal and they would shrivel and die. Well oh no they didn’t. In fact it transpired after I was seen in Stockholm that they became very much alive and were eating me away from the inside as they sought to keep their blood supply etc going. Once seen by the team in Sweden who are experts in this rare event the general opinion was I would have died within weeks if not found and treated. I have now had 2 major ops in Sweden and am recovering well, albeit at a great cost, to date in excess of £50,000.

This is a bit rambling but I am getting to the point. As I developed a problem everyone first wanted to locate it within weight loss surgery, had it gone wrong? Well I was a text book case until 5 years did better than expected but also suffered from problems with regain. How was anyone to know what was wrong was not wls based, they asked in hindsight. My problem seemed to be that anyone who was connected with wls didn’t want to refer me on to other departments even privately they stood within their own speciality and had no interest outside of that. Other specialities felt wls was bound to be the problem where excessive loss or gains were recorded. So when I suddenly lost weight, which would have been a marker for alarm in non-wls folk, in my case it wasn’t, arguments were my bypass was surely working well again. By chance I found the right team and the right answers but will others be so lucky? The point of this post is to say is if you have problems yes investigate the wls connection but please do not leave it there. If you still have problems insist your wls team or their consultants don’t leave it there, if you still have problems insist on further referrals or investigations. I stupidly didn’t, yet my unique circumstances (cousin etc, ) saved me, without them I would be dead. We see lots of posts about not letting your weight define you can I add in don’t let your weight loss surgery define you either. It is not the reason for every post op problem you may face and don’t let anyone tell you it is.

Gosh you have been through the mill lately haven't you hon :( So pleased that you are now in a much better place - but I do agree. They are desperate to pin everything and anything on the surgery or the massive weight loss. I'm struggling to get them to help me with my lymphodema issues :(

A very timely and helpful warning. And I do hope that I was never one who made you feel dismissed.

A sobering tale and golly gosh surgery is expensive in Sweden. I paid just over £500 for getting a gastric ulcer treated by endoscopy and a night in patient in South Africa at the end of last year. This might just be your surgeon??

I'm 2 years and 3 months out and thankfully my team still care and look as they will do so in the future. I had all my surgery privately and 'crossed to the dark side' just for aftercare of my feeding tube. I was unexpectedly admitted from A&E a week ago and finding my surgeon was on nhs call that weekend I texted him to save me, and yay :) he did just that.....:). Following scans he has also referred me to two different departments for further investigation and nhs - bingo :)

Not ever Yvessa, you are always bringing to the fore things just as it is and gaining your own great insights into this wls maze. I just hate it when for example a pre-op parrots a well worn wls cliche at you e.g. back to basics. Now don't get me wrong we all start at that point but set myself up to give advice or worse still tickings off at that stage, never not in wls or in any other walk of life, you watch, you experience and you learn, ask questions, explanations offer support but come marching in with "well you should do this or you can't be doing that right" never ever before you have undergone the basic experience.

Off my soap box, perhaps not to be posting for yonks, been there, done that, tried all sorts to keep long termers posting here and on other fora. Doesn't work, not anywhere. Over 5 years out I feel my wls had better work, and for long term folks you had better know what to do for yourself because help and support is scarce.

Sorry but I found some of that quite insulting.

I am one of the lucky ones who has had no problems so has had no experiences of what other people are going through. Therefore bar greetings and good lucks there is very little I can contribute.

So I'm damned, in your eyes, for not posting but would be damned if I did post as I have nothing valuable to contribute.

I think that's my cue to head off to pastures new where people don't ***** for *****iness sake!!

Don't you dare head off to pastures new Lincs Lass. I have read your posts with interest over the past few months. I'm certain CCPM doesn't mean it like that.

I can see her point of view - it's not just WLS that this happens in though, it's life in general. I've not come across it on this forum, but in life, someone will always put their four penneth in whether they know what they're talking about or not. And yes, of course it's irritating when this happens.

Equally CCPM, I get your point. You have had a huge run of bad luck. I have concerns for the future that every time I have something wrong with me, it'll always be the wls that's investigated first.

I hope your troubles are over CCPM

Not ever Yvessa, you are always bringing to the fore things just as it is and gaining your own great insights into this wls maze. I just hate it when for example a pre-op parrots a well worn wls cliche at you e.g. back to basics. Now don't get me wrong we all start at that point but set myself up to give advice or worse still tickings off at that stage, never not in wls or in any other walk of life, you watch, you experience and you learn, ask questions, explanations offer support but come marching in with "well you should do this or you can't be doing that right" never ever before you have undergone the basic experience.

Off my soap box, perhaps not to be posting for yonks, been there, done that, tried all sorts to keep long termers posting here and on other fora. Doesn't work, not anywhere. Over 5 years out I feel my wls had better work, and for long term folks you had better know what to do for yourself because help and support is scarce.

Take care hon, and please remember that while this may not feel like home any longer there are people here who care about you and want a happy ending for you.

I am one of the lucky ones who has had no problems so has had no experiences of what other people are going through. Therefore bar greetings and good lucks there is very little I can contribute.

So I'm damned, in your eyes, for not posting but would be damned if I did post as I have nothing valuable to contribute.

I think that's my cue to head off to pastures new where people don't ***** for *****iness sake!!

I don't think CCPM is saying that people should post, when they don't know what they're talking about. I think she felt that her concerns were often dismissed by newbies. And bearing in mind that back to basics etc is the first thing we try when things start to go wrong. I actually think you and CCPM agree to some extent - as you say you haven't the experience to recommend suggestions - I think sometimes it is very easy, especially in the early days where you have researched like mad, to think its easy and that the biggest worry is whether you lose or gain weight. But ultimately my biggest worries now are my continuing health and my growing body dysmorphia/need for plastics. And that's a very different mindset, and its easy to feel frustrated when you've tried all the things in the trouble shooting guide.

Just to give you an example - I go to a slimming world group weekly and I had one of my big bounce ups - 12 lb in a week. The consultant asked if I'd lost focus. I explained I hadn't changed anything. Week later it started coming off and the consultant asked if I had my focus back. I almost lost it there and then.

What I will say, and I do hope that you won't be offended, is that you've left before and come back with a certain amount of fanfare. I am very fond of you and read your posts with interest, but it is your choice to be here, or not as the case may be. CCPM shouldn't have to change her post voicing her own frustrations in order to keep you here.

Thank you for your honest report . It struck me as a really good friend who 4 years out bypass was getting pains went for a scan her and her family are all heath care professionals she thought and the medics that it would be gallstones ,, when in fact the scan found she had a tumour on a kidney !!! .she now minus a kidney

Hello CCPM. I am so sorry that you have been through so much. Thank goodness your relative was in the right place at the right time and that your life was saved.

It has been nearly four years since I had my surgery and it has been a battle (and an ongoing one) to try and get put right what went wrong for me. When I joined this forum over 5 years ago your diary was one of the first I read and I am so glad I did because I would have had no clue about just how hard things can be after the surgery and also gain some insight into the problems providers never tell you about or any amount of researching on the net will reveal.

You always post with honesty - telling it how it is. I wish you would post more often but I understand your reasons for not doing so and respect that.

I hope that people read your post and understand the message your are trying to convey which is a very important one. Before surgery the medical profession will pin any health issues on your weight and refuse to look beyond that. When you lose the weight then any health issues are pinned on the fact that you have had surgery. Bariatric teams are loath to let anyone else in - and GP's are afraid to do anything unless they sanction it. I wonder how many people have slipped through the net and have suffered as a result? Reading your post has made me step back and think. I hope others will do the same.

I hope that you continue to recover from this terrible ordeal and live the life you have worked so hard for. Take care.

TBx

If you want to leave please feel free to do so, there is no need to announce it. Goodbye threads /posts are not welcome on the forum!

We don't need or wish to see bad language either.

Hey even without wls you get fobbed off by Doctors, i was told my irregular bleeding and pain in my mid 20s were period pains by my GP and to not be so silly, a second opinion later and i had a womb full of fibroids!! Two weeks later i had them removed under general...
I have more great examples!!

Thank you for your candid post. I find myself many many months out now, and I live my life with my bypass. It is no longer and extraordinary thing, it is my life. So far, i have had no negative health issues either connected to surgery or not.

But i would like to add something i think is very important (for the newer members of our community). We are all responsible for our own healthcare. NEVER rely on the medical profession to be 100% responsible for your health. Learn all you can, and be empowered by the knowledge. Be pushy, and make them do what you need.

I'm pretty sure this attitude got me discharged by my team at 10 month post op, haha.

I recently saw a wls friend, and was very worried for her. Less than a year out, not eating properly, not taking vitamins and minerals. I told her i was worried, but left it at that. Incidentally she also had a health issue that because it had coincided with the op, an assumption was made that it was the cause. But given its nature, its highly unlikely. Consequently treatment has been a long time coming!

Hello,

As a newbie I wanted to say thank you for your post. Yes I can see maybe reading it it could come across as strongly worded shall we say, but reading the whole post it is clear you have had a long bumpy road with a lot of frustration.

As a pre op person who has a history of ovarian cysts I am grateful to read your post, now whilst I may only have my balloon in for 12 months we should all be aware that not every problem after surgery is surgery related.

Strangely enough yesterday we were discussing my impending op with friends & they very much focused on problems & it was like they were all ready saying that any issues I have in the next year will surely be related to the surgery. Maybe for some it is still a taboo subject & not trusted so they automatically blame the band, bypass, plication etc etc but thats a bit like saying oh your having problems a few years after knee surgery well that must be it.

I'm pleased your cousin was able to help, & although an awful surgical bill, I know in Sweden have a great health care system so hopefully they won't drop that bill on your doormat.

Good luck for the future

Oops sorry Lincs Lass you read it not in the way I posted at all and I apologise. Still I take your point and once more I will take away the message enshrined within your post. It just isn't worth it trying to record what you thought was useful and feel able to say how you felt, that brings stringent criticism. Back to reading only.

CCPM - I agree, long termers need to communicate.

I read more than post nowadays...doesnt mean i still dont have questions, or have anything to offer.

Maybe, rather than posting in the 'General' part of the forum, where everyone has/will answer, how about resurrecting the long termers part of the forum...think there was one set up...

We all need support, and the majority are more than happy to hold each others hand and offer words.

I for one still need that, but, I do agree...the enthusiasm of newbies can come across as harsh.

But, thats a problem with typing, and no face/body language to read along with it...

If you need support, you should most definitely voice it.

CCPM so pleased you are still on here. WE need long termers on here, I find it quite frightening the further out I get. It is good to be able to talk to others further out that do have and have had problems. I know Emma Louise has had similar problems as I havew but hers is more frequent than mine and I am thankful for that, my journey as been quite good only the same recurring issue but its bloomin painful at times. I am over 3 years out now and I have regained a little and am struggling to get it back off. But am still trying. Your experiences are very valuable to post oppers and pre oppers, I think people should know what can happen. People say about medical issues blamed on wls surgery, my doctor tends to steer clear of me I usually have to tell him. I have only met 1 doctor that was interested and 1 nurse and clinical lead nurse they have all done some training on bariatric surgery and are interested to hear about how I feel etc. Keep posting I love reading your threads. I only chat now on the odd thread. Sad but if I see one where people have read and no one has responded I check it out to see if I can help at all. WE all need help from time to timexx

We do all need help Chrisa you are so right. Despite my feeling its not really what anyone really wants to hear let me try to explain myself further.

I have a few good friends, made by posting here before I ever had the bypass (a period of 2 years plus). They were so supportive we became very close. 3 of the 5 have gained back all their weight and 2 beyond their start weight, One has gained and has a severe medical problem.

WLS isn't the golden bullet many see it as. I wish it was. 6 years on more and more surgeons offer the procedure, how competent are they? Is it now a quick fix, albeit limited to some extent by funding? I don't have the answers by any stretch of the imagination. What I try to do is stretch the envelope, ask questions see where gaps are. I don't personally give a stuff what the surgery was, how individuals have done I want to get to grips with what the bigger picture is and realistically in that scenario newbies have no voice other than immediate post op problems. That is a separate set of questions, a different research stream. Not belittled just different. I am not decrying newbies in any way.

My interest has always been the long term, not merely because I am there but essentially because everyone will eventually be there and the truth of that landscape is what we all should be concerned with. It can inform choices we make, it can show us where we may go astray, it may help us avoid problems. No problems at 1-2-3 years good for you, don't feel this subject must therefore be critical of you and leave you nothing to say. Rather be glad you don't currently have problems, share your experience but never be complacent be on the alert, problems can come out of the shadow to grab you any time.

On all the many forums I belong to long termers are never there routinely….unless they have a problem. The impact of that is to make it appear long term is about major problems i.e. if more long termers posted we would probably be able to determine what the true percentage of problems is. However if more folks who are successful posted we could learn from them how to make positive choices. One example of this is for banders as we read more and more about problems with bands failing in some way and many appear to revise to a bypass. Yet there are major success stories, do all of those who don't do well get revised? Do some who don't do well (I suspect a majority) write it off as another failed weight loss attempt and think I tried chalk it up to experience. Do the successful move on don't see the need for these forum. My cousin lost 3 stone, gained 2 with a band thinks she did OK, posted like a mad thing until she had it done and for 4 months after, then didn't see she had anything to say particularly as she regained.

We need long term analysis on a large qualitative scale to get the correct picture, getting upset when people like me post posing questions seeming a bit controversial, pushes the very relevant questions into the background again. How I wish the many hundreds of people passing through the forum for the past 6 years all came on and told it as it really is, no holds barred then we might start to get an idea. Until then well that is the question isn't it? If we just think of our own experience and have no concerns beyond that, WLS will be as described by the clinicians not as experienced by those having the surgery. A long career in the NHS has shown me that the medical/surgical staff in all disciplines can control what happens as they have their 'statistics' readily to hand, sadly these are not usually enriched by the personal experience of the patient, they more focus on numbers operated on , morbidity rates etc etc.

Last edited:
Hi
Your post is exactly why I personally trawl the forums , I want to see and hear of problems that appear years down the line , and see if there is a trend with different surgery types , but this information is very hard to come across as people seem so excited by the process and the great weight loss at the beginning , The support is great but as you say full facts from actual long termers is essential in making the right choice ,
Your input is essential and thanks

Hi 6 years ago I went private and had a band, 3 years in was rushed to hospital as couldn't keep anything down, fainting etc, was admitted with malnutrition they emptied the band for a few weeks. I then had to pay £150 for a fill. Still wasn't right, everyday coughing up blood, trouble breathing. Various tests told a hernia then a damaged oesophagus. Took 3 years of testing to be told band had slipped & was damaging stomach, had to have removed. Was gutted, got down to perfect size 10, paid private to have tummy tuck, boobs done never once taking from NHS, I was in a state, as even on theatre table begging them not to remove band but just to put in place.
7 months after having band removed, £20k spent and now 4.5 stone healthier, no support from NHS, in fact after crying to dr for help she laughed & said to cut back 100 calories a day I could lose a stone a year. Am gutted as worked hard & spent loads & suffered to be honest to let the weight go on. Now booked to go Prague for a sleeve. As no help even though I've worked all my life & paid :( but if I don't do the last 6 years was a waste x

How did I miss this post from way back. Interesting read and spot on.
Diagnosed coeliac two years after my op despite me banging on about all the tummy issues & bloating I was having since my RNY. I was told it was down to diet & to try reduce fat intake even further, I literally could not reduce them any further than I had done already and yet the problems persisted. Discovered I was lactose intolerant (not unusual for bypassers) and symptoms reduced a little but not entirely. A few months further on and without going into graphic detail things became unbearable and even hubbys patience was starting to wain. I needed to get proactive and get a handle on this. The things I was experiencing surely could not all be linked to my RNY, could it?? Nobody else reported about living in a constant green cloud of "fumes" with a tummy that sounded and felt like a barrage of hand grenades were going off incessantly day and night. I always thought it was diet related but never in a month of Sunday's put it down to coeliacs. I cannot get the gold standard test of diagnosis due to the bypass and the restrictions it imposes but I have all the markers and a barrage of docs who are nodding in agreement that yes I am classic Coeliac. Won't say it's been all plain sailing since diagnosis but things are certainly a load better but find I'm rankled that my symptoms were dismissed and put down to my op and my persistence of bad dietary habits when in fact I was doing it all by the book and more!
Same issue with a recent neurology appointment. My gammy droopy leg that I have had for over a decade now once again put down to my weightloss and the fact I can now cross my legs?! Errrrrr I couldn't cross my fingers let alone my legs a year ago and I still had this issue then all fell on deaf ears ...
One thing I am quickly learning is that before my fantastic weightloss any issue I had was instantly put down to my weight now two years later it's all being blamed on my ""fantastic weightloss" or our diet as a result of it. We just can't win.

Back