• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Home, settled and finally feeling comfortable! (Warning, quite long!)

chivasgirl

Good morning ladies!! Not feeling so great today, but I know that's to be expected. Got the runs something chronic and loo is upstairs, just walking upstairs is exhausting, so I'm going to go and lie down in bed today. Don't know if it's because I drank some normal milk yesterday with NAS crusha (can't stand the taste of milk) or just general replumbing issues. Have a bit of pain in my lower intestine, which I am not panicking about as I'm sure it is all normal. I know the runs are normal too at this point, it's just so unpleasant (and not always given any notice...!!!! - Be Warned!!).

I wasn't really surprised about having to give up my bed quite early, itw as the moving out of bed while in the shower that was the issue!! I know they need the beds and that's fine. They did ask us to go and wait in the 'discharge lounge' which is just a load of chairs, no pillows to support you, one loo for the ladies and not really that comfortable to sit and wait for ages. I think by staying on the ward it meant they worked harder to get my drugs to me so I could go home!!! The day staff at Walsall work SO hard, they are all kind, thoughtful and just trying to do the best they can. When I go to see them for my next appt I will drop in to say hello and thanks!

Right, off to bed with my bottle of water for a bit!

Lorns..xx

archiesmum

Hi Lorna. Sorry to hear that today is not a good day but there will be oodles of them to come. Try not to do too much as when you are having a good day the temptation is to overdo things. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

ladybird_gal

Thanks for posting your story Lorna. I never tire of reading peoples experiences of the op and immediate post op recovery.

Relax now and enjoy this time while you can. Before you know it you will be back to work and back to normality.

Couldn't have put it better myself Sam. Lorna - take it easy and let your body tell you what to do next!! Best wishes to you.
x x x

Nezzy

Hi Lorna
You will start feeling alot better now your home. I had my bypass on the 14 June and was in with Topsy and Bonita and its fair to say that I felt I was treated very well and the staff were great. I have felt really well the last 3 days so won't be long for you, take care xxxx

Anez

fairyringuk

free your spirit
Lorna thanks so much for sharing your experience with us and so glad you are recovering well take care and leave the damn clothes in the machine, lol. I am just the same can never rest. Look after yourself

Jay xx

Lesley7575gold

Hi Lorna, glad all went well. My gastric bypass was the 18th June and my recovery has been great. I feel a bit of a fraud that I have had no pain and just a little discomfort from wind. Thought about you when I was in hospital so really glad you are on the mend. I have lost a stone this week so really pleased. take care xx

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi Lorna
Sorry just come across your post. Firstly thanks for the detailed account i appreciate everyone's stories with 6 weeks to go till surgery. You sound like me washing got to get done,it's funny how domestic habits are hard to change. Sorry you had a bad day too but i hope as i post this you are feeling better. Lots of hugs for a speedy recovery xx

chivasgirl

Hi All, a bit more of an update!

Well nothing much really to add. I've got some pain in my lower left side which I can't seem to shift with paracetamol or moving around, so just have to learn to live with it I guess. Let hubby do the clexane - hmm, have taken the power away from him again, I think he enjoyed it too much and it always hurts when he does it!!! I'm sleeping fine, but find that I get in one position and then don't move at all until I wake up, usually around 5am, for the loo. We have a waterbed which really is meant to help you get a better night's sleep by supporting you all over, so you don't tend to move much. However, I don't think I get in the right position to start with, always wanting to be curled up to hubby, when really I need to lie the other way round on my right, cos the left hurts!!! So I wake up in pain from that. But really it's just discomfort, I truly can't say it is THAT painful, and I feel very lucky it's nothing more.

Still have a weeping bit on my wound and still on antibiotics. Having no problems with showering or any loo issues. Did go to Boots and PC world today and that knackered me out completely. I find it exhausting just having people round to say hi, talking tires me out!! Which is hard for someone who can't generally shut up!!! Just wishing I could go with hubby when he takes the dog out for a walk, feel like I'm missing out, but I know I couldn't do it.

Learning to ignore things like the washing up etc at the moment. It's hard, but it's not the end of the world is it!!!

Enjoyed watching Glastonbury all weekend, but did get a bit excitable with Bruce Springsteen - saw him years ago and just kept remembering how much fun I used to have going to gigs ALL the time - Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Glastonbury every year it was on, loads of rock concerts, god I can't remember half of them, but it was fab! So got a bit teary too!!!!

Have tried some soups watered down and with all the tasty bits taken out and have decided that all soup is grey and don't want to have any until I can keep the bits in. Tried some tomato mixed with milk and it made my side hurt alot more, so forget that for a few weeks. Have taken a step back and gone back to the stockpots I was having. Only way I can manage the vile vitamins is in Bovril!! Only thing strong enough to take taste away. Mouth nasty taste issue sorted out - sugar free gum. Just have to be careful not to swallow it!!! Everything was tasting so vile because of the ketosis, I was having to clean my teeth 5 or 6 times a day. I think it's why everyone says the Fortimel tastes so vile - it was fine until I left it for 10 minutes, then it was awful. Hubby has frozen some and also put some in cream whipper and turned it into a mousse - only trouble is although it is a nicer way to eat it, it turns it into masses!!!!!

Well, that's me for now, watching Blur now and remembering V2000 when I saw them in Leeds!!

Bonita

Glad to hear your doing well Lorna, try popping a pillow under your tummy at night, it helped me a fair bit.

I'm not so sure about the Ketones and Fortimel. I still can't stand the stuff even frozen six weeks on. Been thinking about passing the mountains I have onto my son who is into body building cause I'll never get through it.

I also couldn't cope with the Davlit, even the smell makes me heave, so went and bought some childrens chewable multivitamins and minerals from the general wellbeing range at Tesco and double them up.

I'm finding that once I've managed to get all the morning meds down I'm not hungry for hours afterwards, they are a meal in themselves...lol

Anyway it really is good to know that your ok.

Bonita
xx

LizzieBee

Loving being a loser!
Sorry to butt in... I have my op in 10 days, should I be ordering some of this dreaded Fortimel for post op recovery?
Lx

Bonita

Sorry to butt in... I have my op in 10 days, should I be ordering some of this dreaded Fortimel for post op recovery?
Lx

Its a high protein drink that does aid recovery especially in the first few weeks post op. Some people find it rather yucky post op others can tollerate it quite well.

Our bariatric nurse supplied a weeks worth when we left the hospital and gave us a prescription for another months worth but not all hospitals do that.

My neice wasn't offered any and her doctor refused to prescribe it so she bought protien powder from Holland and Barrat.

I'd ask your hospital first, especially if you have to pay for your prescriptions.