• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just Joined

john1970

Hi, My name is John and I had a Sleeve gastrectomy on Thursday 30 October 2014; it was carried out at Kings College Hospital in London by Professor Francesco Rubino.

I stayed in Guthrie Wing and was discharged at 4pm on Friday 31 October 2014.

I am now 5 weeks post-op and have lost 2 stone 9LB. Problem is I am having difficulty progressing onto Soft Foods; although, today I managed soft fruit.

My pre-op weight was 26 Stone 7LB, with a BMI of 55. However, my weight was in July 2014 - 28 Stone.

My biggest problem is reminding myself, that it will all be worth it.

Hi and welcome x

Hello john,
welcome to fantastic site like you say your only a matter of weeks post op and many would sail its always plain sailing for all but in the end I like to think it will be worth it in time
good luck with everything

Hi and Welcome!!!

Hi john, welcome! Yes it will all be worth it. And you will progress......one day at a time

Hi John, I was in Kings Guthrie too - although different surgeon.

It absolutely is worth it, but the changing of the stages does need to be taken carefully. There's a lot of trial and error with the different foods.

Welcome!! Well done with weight loss so far!

It is still relatively early days and the stomach is still healing, this happens at different rates for everyone. Some will tell you they breezed through the food stages while others struggle and take months to get back to real food.

Was it worth it? Only you know the answer to that for you but ask yourself why you did it. If it was to lose weight or be healthier then you're already well away and on the right track :) I totally understand your frustration, I had my bypass on 1st Nov so only a few days after you and I'm desperate to get back to some kind of 'normal'. It's coming slowly but I'm little miss impatient and want it now :) Best wishes with your continued recovery x

Hi John,
I am having a sleeve at Kings London on 17th December and my surgeon is also prof Rubino, what's he like ? I have not even met him yet , and is it normal to only stay in one night .hope you don't mind the questions but I have no idea how long the hospital stay is and when I asked I was told to ask these questions at my pre op on Thursday 11th , but that doesn't give me much time to make arrangements for my journey home on discharge as I thought it might be 2 or 3 nights in ...anyway enough of my waffle, I'm sorry to hear your having problems with next stage but hopefully it will get easier real soon , take care , Just.

Hi John,
I am having a sleeve at Kings London on 17th December and my surgeon is also prof Rubino, what's he like ? I have not even met him yet , and is it normal to only stay in one night .hope you don't mind the questions but I have no idea how long the hospital stay is and when I asked I was told to ask these questions at my pre op on Thursday 11th , but that doesn't give me much time to make arrangements for my journey home on discharge as I thought it might be 2 or 3 nights in ...anyway enough of my waffle, I'm sorry to hear your having problems with next stage but hopefully it will get easier real soon , take care , Just.

Just

Prof Rubino is a very pleasant gentleman and also one of the World Leaders in research. His fatality rate is one of the very lowest - below 0.3% Unless there are problems, you should be going home about 3pm on the 18 December.
I am in Sittingbourne in Kent. If you are local, (kent or London), - I do not mind collecting you; if you have a problem arranging a pick-up.

John T

Hello john,
welcome to fantastic site like you say your only a matter of weeks post op and many would sail its always plain sailing for all but in the end I like to think it will be worth it in time
good luck with everything

Your quote "It took more than a day to put it on; it will take more than a day to take it off." - This has helped me - thank you.:)

Hi John..
I had a sleeve too.
When i started soft food I found fish in parsley sauce was very good, weetabix, porridge, beans with sausages in a tin, cottage pie, fish pie. You can get 75p ready meals at Morrisons as above and at that price it doesnt matter if you only eat a few fork fulls and the rest then goes in the bin..or the dog!

Good luck and well done on the weight loss

Hi John,
Thanks so much for your offer but I live on the south coast near Brighton, either my daughter or Son are happy to take me home , I was just not sure at all about how long I would be in , but the next day sounds good to me , thanks for your reply and hope everything is going well for you ,

Hi I'm quite local to John1970 and was originally referred to Kings several years ago and I've yet to even see the consultant. I was referred by chest clinic at MMH.

Following referral to third hospital, I had my bypass 11 days ago. I was operated on on Wed, came home Sunday night although consultant tried to encourage me to stay longer.

I am still rather limited in terms of activity so haven't been out to weigh myself. I hope to get a pleasant surprise when I do.

I wish you well on your journey

Hi - i am new to this site but I too had my gastric sleeve at Kings (Guthrie Ward)& my surgeon was prof. Francesco Rubino. Why don't you google him ...it's VERY impressive & made me feel very confident in his ability & expertise - he's a world leader in this kind of surgery. He's also a very nice bnloke

I have a new surgery date , this Friday 9th Jan
I do hope it doesn't get cancelled again !!!

Back