• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just me or does everyone have 2nd thoughts ????

Butterfly38

Hi all, getting near my op date now and I'm hearing more and more things that scare me!! Silly things, small thing, hair loss dry skin , vit deficiancies.... Feeling sick constantly ... Food intolerances etc OMG I'm in panic mode..... Rationally I know it's silly, they are small things in comparison to what I put up with being fat!!! But I'm just getting nervous thinking am
I doing the right thing?????? Does anyone else feel this way?????

I was terrified, when I spoke to one of my male bosses at work about it. Quote "its a non brainer think of the benefits" I did not expect such a blunt answer :)

Now I think what on earth was I worrying about.

Lol yes..... You see when i read that it made me laugh and think yeah stop being silly.... I just get these little moments of panic!! Thanks x

I pleased its not just me. Panic setting in. My social life revolves around couples having meals. I enjoy food and the social aspect of it. I dont have any relationship issues and i am generally healthy. Why am I having surgery? OMG!!! Am I on a ride I can't get off? Do I want to get off? Aaaggghhh

Most people do. I had them up until the operating table,when the gas mask was on.

Thank god I went through with it. I was terrified of having a heart attack pre op(because of my size and my raising blood pressure) and that was crippling me mentally, I could not function. The fear that was sending my blood pressure threw the roof disappeard as soon as I woke up post op and it has not returned :D

No-one else can tell you whether you are doing the right thing as that can only be something that you can say so if you're having doubts and if it could be anything other than normal nerves - give yourself time to make sure that its the right decision for you.

For me, my surgery was the best thing I've done, it wasn't an easy decision, took me over 7 years to make and to know I was doing the right thing, but now I have Im glad that I've taken that step although as soon as I made the decision I've never had 2nd thoughts.

Thanks everyone, I know it's going to be the best thing I ever do...... I think because I've waited so long and cant believe I'm finally having it that I'm starting to panic!! Suppose none of these worries out weigh the problems of being over weight gives you hey !!

Just confirmed my next wls. Every day for the last 3 months, I've been having the "am I doing the right thing" thoughts.

Still can't make my mind up, also booked my friend to come with me to the hospital, to either hold my hand, or get a bucket if I'm throwing up with nerves.

Wish there was a clear cut answer to this.

Well, I suppose it's quite normal then or us all to have doubts?? One thing I know in my mind is I HAVE to have this operation or my weight is going to kill me.... Simple as that !!! I just worry about the silly things !!

iF you didn't have any i would be thinking you havenot thought this through properly we all have doubts of sorts but the benefits far outweigh the doubts. x we have all had doubts throughout the process even after it that first week or so you think what have i done how will i manage but thats normal and we are all NORMAL xx

It's completely normal! I went back and forth - in fact I was really shaky on op day. But I knew whatever fears my imagination could come up with, they were nowhere near as bad as my daily reality being fat. I'm 5 months post-op, nearly 5 stone down and feel and look so different, for me it was absolutely worth it, despite hair loss, sickness etc. I'd take it all again to see SUCH a change in myself. Hopefully you will feel the same about your new life xx

Yes like Borogirl sometimes I feel I am on a rollercoaster ride with no way to get off and yes i am also like you at times where doubts creep in & my hubby tells me that "I think too much":eek::rolleyes:. I think its natural to be worried but for me its a no brainer but then again my future is not rosey at all if i dont get the balloon quickly followed by the bypass ;). x

Very very normal and here's some news; you'll get the "OMG what have I done to myself?" Afterwards too.

It will still all be worth it :)

Thanks ruthiep, I hadn't thought of that. I'll be prepared for that too. I feel As though I've prepared myself as much as I can.... Seems to be all I've done , trying hard not to let this whole thing Consume me and let it control my life..... But it's hard when it's about to change everything in my life..... Will try to keep being positive and focus on the positive x

I feel exactly the same, I do not have a date yet,but am seeing the consultant on Friday. When you are overweight you have all the issues that go with that but generally l feel very well, so why am I going to have an operation that is very likely going to make me feel pretty poorly for a while!! I just try and look to the future , if I stay like l am now my future looks pretty bleak, so l,ve got to do something about it.

Yes H12, i was same, just overweight .... No other health issues...... Then boom..... All hit me
At once very recently..... Abscesses.... Diabetes..... Sore knees aching hips.... The list goes on..... So do it now before you get to that stage is my advice, wish I'd done it earlier in my life, I'm on 38 but I have missed out on soooo much in my life through weight issues x

Hi,

I felt such relief ready your post- I'm having my band 3 weeks today and need to pay for it Wednesday.
Although this is something I've wanted for years and no more so than now (being at my heaviest and really starting the effects of being overweight) yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks and I thought 'oh my god this is massive' can I actually do this?? I went into a bit of a panic but know deep down this is going to be the best thing for me, and I'm sooooo glad it's not just me getting pre op nerves!
When is your op?? X
Danielle x

Hi Danielle , my op is 5 march, I'm having a bypass. Yes I'm sure a lot of us feel the same but if i sat and wrote a list of pro's and cons ..... I sure know which one would be the longest!!! Lol I'm almost certain none of us go into this lightly...... It's the last thing in a line of desperate attempts of trying, fighting..... Battling.... Out weight... Also mentally you come to the end of the road and think I can't take anymore I need help, that's how I felt . So, for us to question and doubt it just as chrisa says earlier, it shows we have thought it through..... And some!!! It's bloody hard and it's such a drastic rs to travel down but once we get to this point there's no going back. What date is your op? Xx

i had no doubts whatsoever, i wasnt worried or scared, i was firm in the beleif i was doing the right thing, id done my research etc what i wasnt prepared for was how id feel afterwards, as ruthie says "oh my god what have i done to myself" i wasnt in pain, i just felt so tired, weak, wires coming out of me all over the place etc i thnk in all my positivity id actually lost sight of the fact that i was having major surgery, not just getting me hair cut or something lol so maybe some pre op nerves are a good thing x

Hi Danielle , my op is 5 march, I'm having a bypass. Yes I'm sure a lot of us feel the same but if i sat and wrote a list of pro's and cons ..... I sure know which one would be the longest!!! Lol I'm almost certain none of us go into this lightly...... It's the last thing in a line of desperate attempts of trying, fighting..... Battling.... Out weight... Also mentally you come to the end of the road and think I can't take anymore I need help, that's how I felt . So, for us to question and doubt it just as chrisa says earlier, it shows we have thought it through..... And some!!! It's bloody hard and it's such a drastic rs to travel down but once we get to this point there's no going back. What date is your op? Xx

Yes that's exactly how I feel! My op is on 25th feb at Dolan park, feels really strange even typing that , it's such a mix of emotions! I'm excited to begin my new healthy, happy life but so scared at the same time if something going wrong xx

Back