• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just wondering if someone could help?

Hi :eek:

Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice?
I am going to my G.P tommorow to ask to be refered for gastric banding. I have done my research over the past few months and have got notes to take to my doctor e.g why i feel i need the surgery, how my weight is effecting me at the moment, what gastric banding entails etc I have also printed out a form that bariatric surgeons ask for from G.P's about the patient.

I was just wondering what i should say? I have tried dieting, vlcd, exercising (as much as i can with the weight i'm carrying) & orlistat.

Are there any tips about how to convince my gp into refering me?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Grumble.

Whereabouts in the country are you based, and do you know which PCT you come under.

All of the things you have mentioned are important to mention to your GP, but if you knew what your PCT's funding criteria is, and you can show that you fit that criteria then your GP shouldnt refuse to refer you.

Many PCT's (but not all unfortunately) follow the NICE guidelines which state anyone with a BMI over 40 with no co-morbidities is eligible for surgery, or anyone with a BMI over 35 with co-morbidities. A co-morbidity is something like diabetes, or sleep apneoa that surgery can put into remission.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with your GP appointment x

I did not have any luck the NHS route but I wanted to wish you luck and crossing my fingers you are able to get your doctors support in this.
xx Hugs xx

Thank you :)

I did check the PCT and its under the NICE guidline critera, and i have BMI of 45 ish :( with no co-morbidities (as far as i know!) so i am hoping that i will be refered but i have heard that some GP's just don't agree with gatric banding, has anyone else encountered this?

Thank you Neen (you look gorgeous and have done amazingly well btw :))

Last edited:
Thats great news that your PCT follow the NICE criteria. Print them off and take them with you, as your GP may not be familiar with the criteria unless he has referred someone before.

For me, the scariest part of the procedure was the thought of asking my GP for that initial referral, but actually it was nothing to worry about. I hope your GP is as supportive as mine was, but if not, just politely tell him that you meet the criteria for referral and you would therefore appreciate it if he could refer you so that a bariatric expert can decide whether you are a suitable candidate for bariatric surgery.

I think you have a good chance of getting put forward then really, and if your Doc is not willing to help you try another in the Practice...and if that doesn't work look on NHS website to find out what Doctors in your area are registering new patients. You simply fill in a form to change Docs at the new surgery and you needn't give a reason why.
Be optimistic and don't give up.
Ensure you get across that you know it's not a magic fix that does the work for you, and stress that you are willing to do whatever you can to make it successful for you. It can be a great success and it's not easy ! Some docs are more clued up on it than others.
I wish I could be more certain you will get it but I hope given that you seem to meet the criteria, you'll be OK.
It's definately helped me stick to a calorie controlled eating plan!
Lots of luck Hun and don't give up if at first you don't succeed xxx

Thanks, i will do that!

I have been worrying about asking him, but the way you said 'politely say- i meet the criteria to be refered' I now know what to say! Thank you!

I found the info on www.bospa.org are there any other sites that anyone have found with the info about the NICE criteria?

Sleepless night ahead me thinks :eek:

I did see on other sites that sometimes you do have to fight for a referal. I was just wondering if you know how long it can take from referal to op? i have read it can be from 2-5 years! not sure i'll last that long! If i had the money i would pay for private but i only work part time & so does my O.H (he also wouldn't be too happy with me having the op)
If you don't mind me asking (the ones who have gone private) how you have managed to afford it? Did you get a loan etc?

Thank you x

Oooo also how do you thank a post?

Hiya again, maybe with the co-morbidities etc you may not have to wait too long...No-one can really give you a precise answer on it , I know it kills not knowing these things! Get your appointment out the way and take it from there. Stay on here with us as lots of members are on the waiting stage and you can keep focused and get useful advice to maximise your chances etc....at least have the benefit of others experiences and so on.
I was only able to go for it privately as we sold our house and moved to rented. It's worth finding out if any providers you can get to do payment plans also. At the end of the day it's your life, you meet the criteria to have it on the NHS so let's hope that you can go down this route. The private route obviously costs a lot but has no waiting list in comparison.
I hope your OH can accept your reasons for having the surgery, it's your body and part of who you are is wanting to become slim and healthy.
Let us know what your Doc says and we can help you accordingly I'm sure x

Thanks, i will do that!

I have been worrying about asking him, but the way you said 'politely say- i meet the criteria to be refered' I now know what to say! Thank you!

I found the info on www.bospa.org are there any other sites that anyone have found with the info about the NICE criteria?

Sleepless night ahead me thinks :eek:

Bospa is the best site for finding out the criteria. It seems to be pretty accurate.

I did see on other sites that sometimes you do have to fight for a referal. I was just wondering if you know how long it can take from referal to op? i have read it can be from 2-5 years! not sure i'll last that long! If i had the money i would pay for private but i only work part time & so does my O.H (he also wouldn't be too happy with me having the op)
If you don't mind me asking (the ones who have gone private) how you have managed to afford it? Did you get a loan etc?

Thank you x

Oooo also how do you thank a post?

the length of time from referral to Op will depend on where you are and which hospital you are referred to. I live in Bham and was referred to Walsall Manor. For me, from referral to surgery was about 8 months.

I was lucky enough to get NHS funding so I didnt have to think about the money side of things, but I do know of people that have got a loan, or remortgaged.

To thank a post, click on the thanks Icon in the bottom right hand corner of the post you are thanking. x

You two are great!!! Thank you so much for answering my questions.... I will let you know how i get on,fingers crossed.

I'm in East Sussex and haven't a clue what waiting lists are like here but hoping it's quick :D either that or i win the lottery!!!

xx

Hi Grumble i see between Sam and Neen they have sorted you out...

Can i just suggest you ask your gp to test you for diabetes and also check out sleep apnoea and see if any of the info seems familiar?

My husband had sleep apnoea for i don't know how long but it wasn't until i told him he stops breathing in his sleep that he got it checked..

As for diabetes i had no symptoms and was amazed when my gp informed me a couple of years ago i was type 2...

It's awful when you have to wish yourself ill to have what is potentially life saving surgery...

Good luck with the doc xx

Hi Grumble i see between Sam and Neen they have sorted you out...

Can i just suggest you ask your gp to test you for diabetes and also check out sleep apnoea and see if any of the info seems familiar?

My husband had sleep apnoea for i don't know how long but it wasn't until i told him he stops breathing in his sleep that he got it checked..

As for diabetes i had no symptoms and was amazed when my gp informed me a couple of years ago i was type 2...

It's awful when you have to wish yourself ill to have what is potentially life saving surgery...

Good luck with the doc xx
Thanks thats a really good idea, i was wondering if i have suffered from sleep apneoa before, i have woken up with a big start before gasping for air, so maybe i should get checked out. I will check the symptoms online in a mo and turn myself into a hypercontriac i think! Anything to help my quest!

It really is bad to hope for extra illnesses to help you along...but if it helps the decision i may aswell use what illnesses i do have!

xx

ps i wonder if having sleep apnoea would help me in their decision or hinder?

Firstly waking up gasping for breath is a sign of sleep apnoea. It is a comorbidity and the reason my husbands consultant has referred him for wls!

The only hinder you will find is that they need to get you onto the oxygen machine and stable with that before they will give you surgery. This didn't take very long for my husband so don't worry too much there.... Do you nod off at the drop of a hat? On the bus or in the car?

My diabetes had no symptoms, no excessive thirst or nothing. Weirdly enough i never had gestational diabetes although i was as big as i am now...

Firstly waking up gasping for breath is a sign of sleep apnoea. It is a comorbidity and the reason my husbands consultant has referred him for wls!

The only hinder you will find is that they need to get you onto the oxygen machine and stable with that before they will give you surgery. This didn't take very long for my husband so don't worry too much there.... Do you nod off at the drop of a hat? On the bus or in the car?

My diabetes had no symptoms, no excessive thirst or nothing. Weirdly enough i never had gestational diabetes although i was as big as i am now...
Well it's only happened to my knowledge a handful of times but i suppose it could have happened more and i haven't realised. The thought of going on an oxygen machine makes me feel embarraced already...urggh i hate being a fatty *humph*
As for the diabetes, i do sleep really easily & in the day too. I don't go out much so don't fall asleep in cars etc but if i had my way i'd sleep 12-14 hours a day easily. I also pee a lot and have recent blurred vision (just looked at the symptoms)
Thank you for suggesting to be tested, i probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise!

Now you have found out that you have got diabetes did that help with being accepted for wls?

x

In all honesty my pct funds automatically so it hasn't made much difference to me, but my husband isn't as big as me (he's around 17 1/2 stone) so having sleep apnoea has helped him get the referral from his consultant as when he approached a gp in our practice he was advised to go home and eat like a sparrow and try and lose weight the 'hard way'.... However if he'd asked the gp i see he wouldn't have got such a response...

Now if i was still under my old pct ( i moved city's last June) the diabetes would definitely have been a decider!

Well just back from the docs and he is going to refer me :D he was really supportive and was more than happy to put me forward.

I asked for a blood test for diabetes & tharoid which i'm booked in for next week. Just the waiting game now- he said i should get an appointment in 8ish weeks but stressed it isn't his decision...so out of his hands now...but on the way :)

Thank you all for your support i was so scared and turned beetroot red but first step ticked off :checkmark green:

fantastic news Grumble, In my opinion thats the worst bit over with.

Use this waiting time to do all the homework you can about WLS and try not to get too stressed about the waiting game. You are on the right road now. x

Thank you :) I will stick around and probably ask lots more questions around the board, hehe so i'm sure i'll be pestering you all even more soon! :p

xx

Back