• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

King's College Hospital. Any experiences??? L

Boblatina

Hi everybody :wavey:

I am sooooooooo happy to have found this forum because, to be honest, I was beginning to feel very alone and very freak-ish. I honestly thought that I was the only person who was was waiting for WLS and it was really getting me down but all your stories have made me feel tons more optimistic and definitely inspired! Some of the weight losses you guys have managed are just amazing :D

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone here has had any experience of King's College Hospital in SE London?

As a bit of background, I have very serious problems mainly resulting from morbid obesity (BMI in the high 50s). I have type 2 diabetes and my general mobility is very compromised, high BP etc etc .

The good news is that I have a really brilliant GP who suggested WLS to me and referred me to Kings earlier this year (February)

I had my first appointment with the team at Kings on 1st May and the medic I saw was very pro my having the op. (And, because of my size and health problems PCT funding wasn't a problem)

I had a blood test within the next month (results better than I had expected - my diabetes doing well) and a sleep apnea test (some sleep apnea but not enough to prevent me having a general)

Got called into see the surgeon (Ms Chang) at the end of July (with less than 24 hours notice but I am so revved up now I will move heaven and earth to do what I have to do!). She talked me through the procedures. We agreed on a RNY (rather than a sleeve) and I even signed my consent forms there and then.

I am now on the surgery waiting list - I actually saw the completed form being put on my records and passed to the secretary - so I am now in Limbo waiting for the letter.

So I am asking people who really know what is going on (ie you) what you think.

The surgeon said that it would normally be about 5-6 months from seeing her to having my op (Unless swine flu closes down the whole NHS of course) This would mean a date early in New Year 2010 - does this make sense?

Has anyone been to Kings for their op? What was it like? (My surgeon would be either Mr Patel or Ms Chang)

Is there anything particular about Kings that I should be aware of? My GP didn't give me a choice of where she was going to refer me and technically this isn't the nearest large/teaching hospital near to me (I am nearer the Mayday or even PRU if anyone knows the area - I know I'm glad I am not going to the Mayday though (commonly known as the May-die amongst the locals :()

love to hear from someone

thanks

TillyBob

Hi Tillybob and welcome to MM, congrats on getting your funding and being well on the way to having ur surgery.
I am sorry i dont know anything bout Kings but i have read on another site that many people had Mr patel and have only read very positive things bout him.
Am sure there will be others along who will be able to give u some more advice.
Looking forward to reading bout ur wls journey take care luv Roch xxx

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated and very good to hear your comments about Mr Patel (perhaps that was why my GP pushed me to Kings).

It is awful how much my life feels on hold waiting for this - I just want to get going!!

love

TillyBob

Don't know anything about KCH, Just wanted to say hello & good luck

Hi Tillybob

Yes I am at Kings.
Did you go to the group meeting?...When did you go?

At the group meeting we were told that from getting the one-2-one consultation that the waiting time would be within 18 weeks.

I had my consultation on the 7th August and was told that the surgical waiting list was about 14 weeks...I was not given a date because I have to have more tests...(to be honest I would not have been given a date on that day as I think you have to get another consultation with them after all your tests have been done, like your liver and gall bladder scan and your bloods). I got my scan exactly one week later...Friday just gone in fact.

I asked if Mr Patel would be doing my operation and was told that he would...I was happy about that as I sort of clicked with him at the group meeting...(First impression stuck...lol)

I was contacted here by a lady who had Mr Patel do her operation and she was happy with him...

I would like to know the site that Roche was talking about regarding his work too.

I have been very lucky with bringing all my appointments forward by asking for cancellations and might have to cancel one myself as I have not had one of my tests yet.

The clinic at Kings is a very busy clinic and seems to run very well but very late...We were seen an hour and a bit late.

Judging by what you have posted above, I reckon you will get your operation much sooner as I think they tell you the maximum time it could be...and you could always ring to see if there are any canx.

Give me a shout any time...I would love to know about your journey.

(((hugs)))

Thanks very much for your reply Snow Crystal. I am really glad to hear from someone else who is going to Kings - I knew there had to be someone here!

I haven't been to a meeting (or even heard about them until now :() At what stage did they first mention it to you?

My journey so far does not seem as difficult as other people's which is good in one way but worrying in another because I am now thinking I have missed something obvious and important.

I waited a good 4 months for my first appointment at Kings where I saw one of the endichrinologists on 1st May (Mr Choudhary - a very nice man indeed). He went through my medical history very carefully and right there and then said that he did not think of any alternative approach to my case than surgery and said he wuld be putting my case forward at the next funding meeting (subject to my sleep apnea and blood tests)

The OK results from the tests were confirmed in a letter to my GP and the next I heard was a letter from the surgical team at the end of July.

I saw the surgeon at that day's clinic (Ms Chang - but she confirmed that it was quite likely not to be her doing the Op and it could be Mr Patel instead)

She went through my history again and we discussed the alternative types of operation available. She then got me to sign the consent forms and passed my folder and all the records to the secretary with a "put on the waiting list for surgery" note and told me I would be contacted about pre-op "in due course".

And other than a follow-up appointment with Mr Choudhary that was it. (And he said that was pretty much a waste of time as I had gone through the surgeon's clinic - and it was all on my notes)

So, it has been 4 weeks since I saw Ms Chang, and I haven't heard anything about a date yet. (Not that that would surprise me because speed of correspondence is not a Kings strong point!)

I am now all a-quiver because of you saying it might be 14 weeks rather than the 22-26 weeks she said to me at first. (Interestingly, when I went for my first appointment they did say that waiting times might come down a bit because they were getting a new experienced surgeon to do WLS - I wonder if this is Ms Chang????)

I would take a cancellation like a shot but work is a bit difficult to organise with less than a fortnight's notice. They are good about me taking long term leave, it is just that we have rotas and cases that cannot be altered overnight (not that I am not going to take as long off work as I can, all being well!)

I think I am going to have to give them a call!

Snowcrystal. I wrote quite a lengthy reply and then lost it. 'aint that always the way.

I haven't had a group meeting and I haven't had one mentioned to me. Is this part of the pre-op procedure that the surgeon mentioned to me when I saw her??? Is this when they put you on your liver reducing/softening diet or is that meeting with a dietician another joy I have to look forward to do you think?

I am definitely all of a tiz now about time scales. When I first went to see an endochrinologist (Mr Choudhary) he did mention that they were expecting to start a 2nd experienced bariatric surgeon very soon afterwards. I wonder if they have.

I am now wondering if we could possibly both end up under the scalpel at around the same time?

Hi Tilly

I got referred around the 24th April and got my letter to attend a group meeting on the 24th June where we were given a slide show and Mr Patel spoke to us about the surgeries available to us. We were invited to ask questions and I felt that I got most of my questions answered on the night.

I received my letter for my one -2-one consultation with a member of Mr Patel's team for October...I rang and got a cancellation and got another date for September and so I rang again and got another appointment for 7th August.

That meeting went well (with Mr Patel's registrar) until we spoke about 2 colitis (unspecified) and proctitis flare-ups I have had (long story but I have to have another scope (colonoscopy) to check and await reports from the hospitals I was under at the time). I might not get any surgery because of this, although there a possibility of the Sleeve...fingers crossed.

After the consultation I went to reception for another appointment for 4 - 6 weeks to see the doctor again...(no appointment within this time frame so manager would send me out an appointment) I then went straight downstairs to the blood department and got all my bloods done (fantastic guy done my bloods and I wish I could remember his name) and this wonderful phlebotomist advised me to go straight up to the ultrasound department and get my appointment date there and then as it would be quicker than waiting for an appointment when they are left for the staff to send one out to me....I was lucky and got a scan for the very next week...I had that done (last Friday) and my gall bladder looks healthy with no stones present...(Had 2 flares of inflamed gall bladder in the past)...I was also told that my liver looked fine apart from a lot of fat around it.

I got my appointment come through for the next consultation with the doctor/surgeon for 9th Oct...I rang for another cancellation and got one for the 21st August.

After my Scan on Friday I popped into the clinic and asked the nurse if I should cancel my appointment next Friday as I have not had my colonoscopy appointment yet...she tried to get in touch with that department as this has been outstanding since 7th August...It was past 5pm and they were probably all gone home...so she gave me a number to ring them first thing Monday morning and explain the situation, she told me not to cancel my appointment until then.

I have hypothyroidsm and am borderline diabetic...I have awful sciatica...I have had some scares recently as my GP thought I might have Barrat's Oesophagus and Sjogrens but thank fully after another set of bloods and a scope I am clear of these conditions...I don't know what my outcome will be yet because of this IBD...I hope it will be possitive.

Well that was my journey so far...I don't think I left anything out really...
I don't understand why you did not go to the group meeting, but I would not worry about it as you seem to have been able to skip this part and go straight to your one-2-one consultation...And of course this might be how Ms Chang works.

Yes it would be great if we ended up under the knife around the same time...would be nice to know someone....

Let me know how it all goes for you.

(((hugs)))

Last edited:
Hi to you all:wave_cry:

I have a very big hernia were my C section scar is.. this is from 13 yrs ago.. and on my right side I have a big lump.. which is fluid from the hernia... I'm now in so much pain!!
the doc said he will do the hernia op at the same time as the one for my weight...
I have fluid in my feet and legs...last year I had pneumonia and have severe sleep apnoea..I lost my job last year due to ill heath!! I have trouble just bending and I get puffed just walking up one flight of stairs.
the list goes on.. oh just put me down now :ignore:

I've opted to have the sleeve.. :eek:
This will be at kings collage hosp in London.uk..Dr A Patel,,

I live in rainham Kent..and will have to travel by train...
how will this affect me after the op!!..it takes over a hour to get home..
im worried that ill have trouble as I love food!! :eating:

I've been to see the doc in London again,,,yet again saw a different doc. last time I went up was December.. he put me on the waiting list on the 28th June 2011
I had an MRI scan on Fri 8th July, the doc said the lump in my liver is 1.4cm..im getting worried!!! :eek:
The waiting time to have the op is 5-6mths.. my hernia has got bigger its now from my C section scar to my navel.:cry:
he said ill be in HDU overnight as I will have to have tube put down my throught as I stop breathing when im asleep. :sign0137:

they will let me know when im having the op 10 days before hand..there not putting me on any diet before hand but they want me to loose weight before.

had my BP checked on the 20:9:11 and it was really high 207
been told that if it doesn't come down I wont be able to have the op!!

I phoned up and spoke to a lady who does the waiting list for Dr Patel, and she said that he hasn't put me down for a date yet and that people that were due to have there op last sep are only just having it done now,she said there were 2 docs doing the same op!I Think my op will be right at the end of DEC on top of new year,

this means that instead of having my op in DEC this year ill have to wait till DEC 12.
I was olso told buy Doc sing that I was on the priority list but this lady said there wasn't one!!
I haven't spoken to Doc Patel so I don't know watts going on or how long I have to wait!! doc said it would be done in 6 mths.Ive had No communication from the hospital..

so instead of being on the waiting list,. for 6 mths.. I have now got to wait a year..I can't wait, that long to have my hernia repaid I'm in too much pain!!

I was told if im in pain go to the hosp,, I did and because im seeing Dr Patel then they wont touch me,,
ive been told that i wont even get a date for the op untill next june!!
im going to see my doctor this week as my left arm really hurts and my hurnia really hurts when i need a wee,, ill ask him if he can wright to dr pattel to get this sorted sooner,I dont care about the weight op now i just want this pain to STOP!!:cry:
IVE NOW HAD ENOUGH OF WAITING!!
Has anyone else had to wait!!
Update
I have now met Dr patel and hes really nice he reconmended that i have the bypass insead of the sleeve, so im going with what he suggesed,
He olso said that my surgery would be done beween march and june this year,
Im soo looking forward to it now!!
Debs
xxxx

Last edited:
Back