• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nutrition Group meeting (Dietitans) Kings college Hospital

Hi WLS family just a quick question has anyone attending this nutrition seminar/group meeting at King's College Hospital or any other hospital.

I called the hospital yesterday and was told my meeting date is February 7th.
What should I expect to happen at this meeting? And what happens after?

My Dietitan did say wait to see surgeons but do I not have to have all those other apps before?

Oh I see thank you. Is it a huge group of people normally and is surgeon there ? Does this also means your surgery is accepted then xx

Ok great news then. How long did you wait after that group for your surgery?

Hopefully it speeds things up a bit once you attend.
So is this still considered the tier 3 weight management programme then or is it tier 4?

Wow your lucky to have jumped. And that's not too much of a wait I guess. And you must feel so much better after having your surgery.

Oh wow you still had to wait 9 months. But compared to some on here have waited 2/ 3 years. It's horrible them telling you your bmi. Mines 50 and I'm gobsmacked I allowed it to get to that. Giving birth didn't help me at all. I put on so much weight after my son almost 3yrs ago.

I wouldn't say @starryeyed had it easy at all to be fair. Maybe it'd be worth reading her diary @Jadine Hayles
I think the meeting you will have was the one I had in December and then I got a date for May in early April. They had formed patients in to talk to us as well as the dietician and nurses and that was very helpful to hear from someone on the losers bench.

@Jadine Hayles the "wait" isn't always a straight wait on a waitlist for surgery - there may be dietician apts, psychologist, sleep apnoea testing, anaesthetist apts etc etc - sometimes that wait is the best thing needed to ensure that the person is ready for surgery and is better able to have a successful outcome after surgery. The quickest route/fastest surgery is not always the best solution for a successful outcome. This isn't just surgery in isolation it is a complete body and mind re-adjustment and if someone isn't ready for that it is unlikely they will get the best out of surgery, or even be able to cope properly after surgery.

If someone had told me before this that I would need apts with a psychologist I wouldn't have believed them, but I have them in my package and I have my next one this week - I am looking forward to it and find them really useful, which has suprised me, but there is so much adjustment after surgery it really does help - especially with Christmas around the corner and all the issues facing that without food being the main focus!

Hey sorry for the delay...thanks for the msg @Feebe Yes I will have a read thanks. Oh yes that would be very helpful as I've just been researching here and online/blogs/vlogs etc. So thanks for the heads up Feebee.

@Hannah2 thanks so much for the msg.
Yes I know what you mean. It definitely will be a huge change to the mind and body. Will take a while to adjust.

I've had a lung function and sleep apnea test already, I also saw the hospital Dietitan from last December until July/Aug so the King's dietitians said I won't need to see them and discharged me. She just said attend this group meeting and see surgeons. Never mentioned all those other appointments that's why I'm a tad bit confused. Like does this mean I don't have to attend. And she also said wait for the mdt meeting also.
I'm happy your doing well after your op. And it's good they're monitoring you after.

Hi @Jadine Hayles Just seen your message and realised you are under Kings like myself. I went through the tiers and saw the surgical team initially in August 2015, met with the dietician on three occasions because I was already seeing a dietician and going to the GP exercise on referral. I had to go to a seminar in December 2015 and once we had gone there our names were ticked off a list and we were given a surgeons appointment with our surgeon of choice. From the beginning I had chosen Ms Chang because she removed my gallbladder and she and her team were excellent in before and after care. I know all the surgeons are fantastic but I already knew her care. I saw here on January 11th 2016 and finally had my surgery on November 15th. I have to say sleep apnea test and lung function were done when I had my gallbladder removed in June 15 and ecg and heart scan were carried out in October 16. Hope this helps a bit and good luck with your surgery.

Ps Do you know which surgeon you will have? This makes a big difference in waiting times as well.

Hi WLS family just a quick question has anyone attending this nutrition seminar/group meeting at King's College Hospital or any other hospital.

I called the hospital yesterday and was told my meeting date is February 7th.
What should I expect to happen at this meeting? And what happens after?

My Dietitan did say wait to see surgeons but do I not have to have all those other apps before?
They will discuss with the group the different types of surgery how they work and your diet after you have had the surgery. what to expect in terms of weightloss for each surgery and you have an opportunity to ask questions.

Hi @paulam thanks so much for your message. This has helped alot. Wow so waiting list was 11 months. Was there a reason for this? And also no I don't know what surgeon I'll be seeing but at least they allowed you to choose. I only heard of Dr Patel or ms Chang. Well I like the sound of Ms Chang then as I know some hospitals after care are bad. What surgery did you have?

Hi @paulam thanks so much for your message. This has helped alot. Wow so waiting list was 11 months. Was there a reason for this? And also no I don't know what surgeon I'll be seeing but at least they allowed you to choose. I only heard of Dr Patel or ms Chang. Well I like the sound of Ms Chang then as I know some hospitals after care are bad. What surgery did you have?
Hi Jadine. They are all excellent. I had RNY gastric bypass but was originally booked for sleeve. Acid reflux returned with a vengeance so was advised that the bypass would be better for my because reflux can get worse with sleeve if you had it already.

Oh really when did they decide on the rny? Has your acid reflux stopped now?
@paulam

Hi Jadine. They are all excellent. I had RNY gastric bypass but was originally booked for sleeve. Acid reflux returned with a vengeance so was advised that the bypass would be better for my because reflux can get worse with sleeve if you had it already.

I always had reflux but after I had my gallbladder removed in June 2015, it stopped for a while but came back last year so I had to go to see Jan and MsChang again. It was then that it was decided to change my surgery to the RNY bypass. I dont have as much attacks just the odd minor pain if I dont take my lansoprazole.

Back