• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Knee Pain

BarbaraG

Owww!

My knees are getting more painful, for more of the time. They've been troublesome on and off for years (well, decades, actually), but I have never sought medical advice because I always assumed the first piece would be "lose weight". Now I'm starting to wonder whether knee replacement ops may be closer than I had thought (and I am only 48).

And I kind of assume that a surgeon would refuse to do a knee op while I'm at this sort of size - BMI 46 at the mo.

Anyone got any experience to offer? What, short of surgery on my knees, will help? Am I right that I wouldn't be allowed anyway at this size?

Barbara
PS I love this forum - I have had so many helpful replies to previous posts, and so quickly too.

I have a bad knee and my doctor wouldnt even examine it, he said come back once you have lost all your excess weight.

i also get bad knees and im only 27!! i think we all know why we have these aches and pains its due to our sizes to be honest if we did loose our excess weight we wouldnt get these pains xx

I have to say that since I've lost half my over weightness my left knee that has been really troublesome has become an awful lot better. I can come down stairs normally now instead of both feet onto the same step each time and hanging onto the rail.

I'm sure yours will improve too once you start to lose.

Kate x

BarbaraG said:
Owww!

My knees are getting more painful, for more of the time. They've been troublesome on and off for years (well, decades, actually), but I have never sought medical advice because I always assumed the first piece would be "lose weight". Now I'm starting to wonder whether knee replacement ops may be closer than I had thought (and I am only 48).

And I kind of assume that a surgeon would refuse to do a knee op while I'm at this sort of size - BMI 46 at the mo.

Anyone got any experience to offer? What, short of surgery on my knees, will help? Am I right that I wouldn't be allowed anyway at this size?

Barbara
PS I love this forum - I have had so many helpful replies to previous posts, and so quickly too.

I am on the waiting list for a total knee replacement. My BMI is 40. I am 67 years old and considered young for this op and the surgeon said his average patient age is approx 10 years older. This is because there is a time limit on a new knee. In the meantime weightloss could be as effective as an operation. Either way you would need an xray to determine any damage/need. The surgeon has not mentioned weight to me but I know that it will hinder any recovery and need to give it my best shot.

Back