• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad Knees

jaxx

One of the reason I wanted weight loss surgery in the first place was so that my hips and knees wouldn't be under so much pressure and would hopefully prevent me from having joints replaced.

I've been suffering from joint pain for years and my right knee clicks when climbing stairs but it's been managable. Today my right hip and knee were the most painful they've ever been. I had so many things I needed to do today but I ended up taking some codiene and going to bed to rest my knee. But I live in a first floor flat and after going to see my mum I struggled to get up the stairs and I had a horrible crunching noise coming from my right knee and lots of pain.

I've made an appointment with my GP next week as I've never been to see anyone about this thinking that I'd just be told to lose weight. But now the weight is coming off the pain seems to have become worse.

I was going to go swimming today, do some tidying at home (which badly needs doing) and go grocery shopping. The only thing I got to do was my grocery shopping with the help of a crutch and a couple of taxis. I'm at the stage that I need to start exercising to maximise my weight loss but I'm being prevented because of this.

Has anyone had similar problems with their joints after surgery?

Is it possible that you have been more active already post surgery than you were prior to it, and just didn't realise it?
My right knee is getting worse and worse every day and often gives way when I'm walking. Am really hoping it will improve once I lose weight.

My right hip is worse after surgery. I've had to cancel shopping and stay in 'cos I didn't think I could walk far. I thought that it would get better, especially as it hasn't got an extra 5 stone on it.

My right knee used to hurt lots and lots when I was walking, but it's not now. But now, it hurts when I bend it back, like at the top of the pedal on the bike. But it gets better after a few yards.

I think I've done some permanent damage but I can live with it for now. Last thing I need is another operation that puts me on my back for a few weeks to rest!

Fraid cant really help, I have fibromyalgia and just before Christmas I could barely walk. Since the op things have definitely improved, I think it is because I can do some gently exercise and this helps to keep my joints moving. I do hope your pain will decrease soon, but def worth getting it checked out. I wish you good luck.

Ooh I definitely sympathise with you!!

Having had chronic low back pain for over 25 years and osteoarthritis in my knees for over 10 years and being told that if I lost weight I'd be in less pain I really looked forward to this after my WLS.

Tha pain in my back got worse before it got better - I get terrible sciatica now - more than before.

My knees got worse as the weight came off - so much so that I asked to be seen by the surgeons and as you may know I had my left knee replaced in August 09 and my right one on March 1st - this second was is really painful - I'm up to my eyeballs on morphine at the mo for the pain - it is getting easier. I am young for replacements - 52!!

Some of the increased pain I put down to being able to be more active - but however much weight one loses the damage done to the joints will never be taken away - unless they are replaced

Interestingly I have some, but very little arthritis in my hips!! must be something other than weight going on!!

Hope you get it sorted out

Angela

I went to the Hallamshire group meeting when they were giving a talk about exercise and physio. The physio there said it is to be expected to get painful joints as we loose the weight. Due to the speed at which we will loose the weight out bodies cannot adjust our center of gravity fast enough to keep up. We have to make an effort to stand/sit properly as we shrink to minimise the problem.

Jaxx - I really feel for you and hope it is as above and I am sending some hugs to make you feel better soon. xxx

maybe doing those balancing exercises on the wii fit will help, as they're all about centre of gravity.

I'm 51 and have got osteoarthritis in my knees (mostly the right knee due to injuries sustained over 20 years ago) and am in constant pain. It was the knee surgeon who recommended I consider WLS and offered to refer me to his bariatric colleague because he said he wouldn't contemplate a knee replacement at my current weight. I'm yearning for less pain after surgery - and am horrified at the thought I might actually experience more !!!

Rose

I'm 51 and have got osteoarthritis in my knees (mostly the right knee due to injuries sustained over 20 years ago) and am in constant pain. It was the knee surgeon who recommended I consider WLS and offered to refer me to his bariatric colleague because he said he wouldn't contemplate a knee replacement at my current weight. I'm yearning for less pain after surgery - and am horrified at the thought I might actually experience more !!!

Rose
Same here rose, i'm slightly concerned that all my aches and pains will still be bugging me when i lose the weight, such a horrible thought. At the moment i can hardy walk 5 mins down the road without my lower back and right hip giving me grief. I was really lokking forward to a pain free life. well a girl can wish lol x

The orthopaedic people wouldn't even see me when I was 24 stone let alone consider any treatment.

My GP told me I needed a BMI of under 35 to be considered for new knees - it was 36 when I had the first one done and 29 when they did the second.

As I've said before however much weight we lose it will take the strain off our joints but can't undo the arthritic damage already done - and it was that which was SO painful - I'm not painfree now - but that awful pain where the bones ground together has gone

DOn't be put off by me saying my pain has been worse - I can get around so much more easily - don't knock things over or into them - I expected the pain to lessen post-op having been told for years that my back pain would go away if I lost weight - it's the damage thats the problem :cry:

I don't regret the WLS or the knee replacements for one minute - I can get around without going blue in the face and feel SO different

Best wishes Angela

One of the reason I wanted weight loss surgery in the first place was so that my hips and knees wouldn't be under so much pressure and would hopefully prevent me from having joints replaced.

I've been suffering from joint pain for years and my right knee clicks when climbing stairs but it's been managable. Today my right hip and knee were the most painful they've ever been. I had so many things I needed to do today but I ended up taking some codiene and going to bed to rest my knee. But I live in a first floor flat and after going to see my mum I struggled to get up the stairs and I had a horrible crunching noise coming from my right knee and lots of pain.

I've made an appointment with my GP next week as I've never been to see anyone about this thinking that I'd just be told to lose weight. But now the weight is coming off the pain seems to have become worse.

I was going to go swimming today, do some tidying at home (which badly needs doing) and go grocery shopping. The only thing I got to do was my grocery shopping with the help of a crutch and a couple of taxis. I'm at the stage that I need to start exercising to maximise my weight loss but I'm being prevented because of this.

Has anyone had similar problems with their joints after surgery?

Hi there

Do feel for you , I have osteoarthritis in both
knees and know how painful this is , The docs will not refer me until I am much older for both knees replacements, so I know how u feel

All the best - MeJulie x x

Back