• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bizarre Q - How much weight is due to a stomach

SacredSilence

Peter Facinelli & I
I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" question, But I wondered how much weight on average is due to a large stomach?

I am failing miserably at losing weight and have an horrendous fat overhanging tummy :eek: :cry: and am wondering how much if my weight is attributed to it.

I have Drs on Fri and am going to ask her about a TT on the nhs but I am not hopeful :( I know it doesn`t account for all of the weight I need to lose but wondered if anyone had an idea on % of the weight it may be.

Hope this post makes sense :rolleyes:

TIA for any replies,

LiSe x

Dont want to be negative but I would be very surprised if your Doctor would agree to refer you for a tummy tuck - have you thought about WLS as you are in our section of minimins? You store fat all over your body (dont I know it!) and you should lose it evenly all over your body - I am also cursed with a stomach overhang, big boobs, fat face, fat thighs blah blah blah. Concentrate on losing the weight in which ever way is best for you and then think about the cosmetic surgery - honestly again Im not being negative just realistic cause believe me Ive thought of every way possible of shedding the pounds!

I would tend to agree with Caroline on this though for slightly different reasons.

I'm no TT expert, but i have read that the NHS will only undergo this type of surgery if there is medical grounds requiring it, being obese isn't grounds enough for a tummy tuck !
I've also read that its very unwise to undergo a TT until you have lost your weight and stabilised at a healthy set weight for a period of time.

Unless you pay to go private or you have an underlying condition that requires the removal of the excess skin, i would be supprised if you got offered this on the NHS.

Most PCTs require that you have a BMI of less than 26 (although this doesn't include the excess weight of the skin to be removed, but I doubt your skin weighs 4 stone) and that BMI to have been maintained for 2 years as a bare minimum of requirements.

You have to remember that a tummy tuck is not for removing fat, it's for removing excess skin.

I agree with shelbell 100% i have read articles on the nhs and it states that you have to have maintained your weight or a period of two years and your bmi has to be below a certain level..........am not sure if its 26 as i know someone who has had a t/t done and their bmi was a lot higher then 26...........i am guessing all depends on the surgeon and pct funding...........not sure if u r aware that even though you may get funding for wls this does not automatically guarantee you for t/t a/l or b/l, you will have to check with your gp/provider to find out if this is the case, as i have found out that even if i get the funding for my surgery my pct (havering,barking and dagenham ) will not provide funding for t/t,b/l or a/l's as they consider it comestic procedure so only paying privately get the job done............so best check with your gp/provider and see what's what.

All the best - mejulie xx

Thanks everyone for the replies x

I realise that TT isn`t a weight loss procedure but for excess skin etc.

I have managed to lose 31.8lbs since xmas and have lost weight everywhere else but not my stomach. Whatever weight loss I have and exercise I do my stomach just doesn`t change at all :( You can literally lift the whole thing up! It just hangs there :(

My clothes don`t fit properly as I have to get bigger sizes to accomadate my tummy which means trousers hang on my waist and my legs and sometimes start to fall down - It`s my fat tummy that keeps them up :( I look like a tramp :(

I know I will still have weight to lose after a TT but it is the rest of my body, and more toning like my thighs and arms.

Brief history, I have had 4 children. My last was born by CS after I had major abdominal surgery whilst 16 weeks pg (more or less a CS but not cutting the womb and including rupturing my bladder). I have an underactive thyroid and PCOS, cholesterol and bp problems and often get infections under my stomach :(
I also have a history of Cancer (reason for major abdo surgery tho they didn`t know until they opened me up - Thought it was an ovarian cyst).

My BMI is currently 35 - Think that would be against me?

I don`t think a TT is the answer to all my problems, But I think it would really help me along the way.

If it comes to it, I am going to have to try and get a loan and go privately. I don`t know what else I can do :(

Again, Thanks for the advice,

LiSe x

Hello again

i am in the same boat as u , i have lost around 5 stone and i have been told by my gp that my pct will not fund for a t/t, the best bet for you is to go to your gp and ask wot their procedures are. I can only tell what wot i know from my pct.....every pct is different , yours may fund or t/t..do the research first xx

all the best and good luck - mejulie xx

I honestly think you should lose the rest of your weight and when you reach goal, worry about your stomach - us WLS lot will most probably have to have tummy tucks when we get to goal and we are all very aware that your stomach will never spring back without help no matter what you do! Concentrate on losing the rest of your weight (you are doing great so far) and get some 'suck you in knickers' in the interim!

Hello again

i am in the same boat as u , i have lost around 5 stone and i have been told by my gp that my pct will not fund for a t/t

**Hugs** I totally understand how you feel :( It`s so frustrating isn`t it?? I hope you manage to get your TT soon Xxxxxx

Thanks for the reply Caroline x

My problem is that I`m no longer losing weight :( It just doesn`t shift whatever I do :( I am taking Xenical at the moment and I`m STILL not losing even with eating a good diet and exercising :cry:

I will speak to my Dr on Fri and see what she advises

LiSe Xx

I asked at the hospital where I attend an Obesity Clinic about a tummy tuck. The diectician said that you have to get down to what they consider an ideal weight for you, and you have to keep at that ideal weight for 6 months before they will do the surgery. I was surprised because I thought you had to maintain for at least 12 months. They do this type of surgery at this hospital, the only down side, is this hospital is not my PCT provider. My PCT provider referred me to the Obesity Clinic in this other district, because they could not offer the service where I live. As far as the Tummy Tuck goes, I guess I will have to approach my own PCT closer to the time and see what happens.

Regards

MNL

Back