• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Inspiration!!

Alia

I had a visit from my brother and sister in law today and have to say she is a total inspiration to me.

She had a gastric bypass nearly two years ago, although I was n't convinced she really needed it as she did n't seem that big but apparently she ballooned alot once she had decided to have the surgery. She went private and had it done by key hole.

Today was the first time since I had seen her since last summer as they live at the other end of the country to me and she looks amazing!! I really can't believe how slim she looks. She is a size 8 - 10 and has lost 8 stone.

Bless her she came armed with bags full of vegetables and even though we hardly see them she stood in my kitchen and made enough home made soups to carry me through my puree stage. She even bought little portion size containers so that it can be frozen and I can just take out as much as I can eat in one sitting. She made mushroom soup, broccoli and then tomato with beans and all of them taste amazing. These are soups her mum made for her just after her surgery.God bless her it was a lovely thing for her to do and I'm going to keep her in my mind as inspiration for my weight loss.

Last edited:
That's fab, Alia. What an inspiration indeed! :clap:

I was planning on freezing some soups etc. in ice cube trays, like I used to for my babies when they were weaning. I froze milk too for when I was working a late shift so dad could do the bottle thing, but prolly TMI! lol! :)

Maybe we ought to have a soup thread? Or a puree recipe thread etc.? Then people could just add as we go and then new / inspiration-needed 'losers' can dip into them as and when they want / need? :eat:

There is a puree thread already started by Phatgirl...not sure how to put the link on here but sure someone will come along soon and do it...xx

Ah thats nice of her, if she lost that much weight what did she way in the beginning? just being nosey....xx

she was 18 stone and is now down to 10 stone

That's fab, Alia. What an inspiration indeed! :clap:

I was planning on freezing some soups etc. in ice cube trays, like I used to for my babies when they were weaning. I froze milk too for when I was working a late shift so dad could do the bottle thing, but prolly TMI! lol! :)

Maybe we ought to have a soup thread? Or a puree recipe thread etc.? Then people could just add as we go and then new / inspiration-needed 'losers' can dip into them as and when they want / need? :eat:

she brought me these portion size containers , maybe 2 portions depending on what stage you are on, that she got from asda, they were 25p each so you could buy say 10 and make up a batch of soup, freeze it and take it out say an hour before you want it and it would be defrosted, its a really great idea and you could even do it before you go in for your surgery so that its all ready for you when you come home.

I used ice cube trays and transfered them into plastic bags. what i have found as the weeks have gone on is that whilst i was on free fluid i could manage quite a bit but now im on pureed stage i can manage much less. this way i just take out 5 or 6 cubes and put them in a bowl and usually find that is enough.
Apart from soup i have done all sorts of vegies, Purreed meets, fruits etc. each cube measures around a desrt spoon so for dinner i have go 2 cubes of carrot, im using frozen mash so 1 piece of that and 2 cubes of beef in gravy.
I cooked my meats in the slow cooker so they were very tender and removed all visable fat beforhand. i then used the juices from the meat when pureeing my portions so i got all the goodness.
HTH
carole

Lol pg i have just finished making the shrimp paste for about the umpteenth time it is so quick and easy and yummy too. so are the egg custards.
loving the book you gave me but need to get a conversion chart or some us cups for measurements. keep having to check on the PC

I wrote the conversion directly in the book so I would only have to do it once! Glad you like the book, I LOVE IT. I use it all the time. Can't wait to try some of the proper food ones!!

Post op i found that my soup taste buds had changed, i used to like chicken soup but it didn't taste the same, the only thing i could stomach was tomatoe and it had to be Heinz, anything else was just not soup :D
Thankfully though my taste has returned as i love soup and have it for lunch most days at work !

:9529:

I struggled with the things I had planned before hand, have just thrown it all away as I could not stand it, hope my taste for some of those return as I used to make a lovely veg soup....:sigh:...xx

If you pm mini and ask her she'll look at it and decide if it's appropriate ;)

Done, so now it is a sticky. I look forward to seeing it grow with everyone's recipes!!

Back