• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lactose intolerance?

flutterby1966

Has anyone experienced this? To get more protein in to regain a few pounds after dramatic half stone loss when ill recently, I have been upping my milk uptake to around 1/2 litre a day (and I didn't really have milk preband at all)...I am getting the most excruciating stomach pains, bloating and trapped wind, around 15 minutes after drinking and lasting a few hours each time. Tracking my diet, it's the only thing I think i can link to the occurrences ... Has anyone any opinions/thoughts/guidance .... Thank you

From what I've read, developing a lactose intolerance after bariatric surgery is not unheard of. Maybe you already had an intolerance and your recent intake of more milk than usual just tipped it over the edge, so to speak! Hope it sorts soon xx

Hi :) yep it sounds like lactose intolerance. My husband is lactose intolerant and I know it too well from him. And while on my pre-op diet (milk & yogurt) I had the same reactions as you. I never had enough milk to notice before it seems. So I started using lacto free milk but unfortunately it doesn't come in skimmed, only whole or semi skimmed. As you're maintaining, maybe semi is ok? Soya and oat milk are both very yummy and are good low fat alternatives. I like soya milk in my coffee, oat milk with hot choc - low fat low sugar of course ;) and I still have a tiny bit of skimmed in my tea which is too small amount to have a reaction. It's a bit of a nuisance but I personally didn't lose sleep over it to be honest, hope you can find it easy to deal with. X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh sorry I completely missed the point - you're trying to gain a few pounds. Then lacto free semi skimmed or even whole would do it for you. They taste exactly the same as normal milk :) x

Hi Michelle, as you probably know I am now majorly lactose intolerant and discovered preop much worse post op.

For me the biggest factor is the cost of these things so I actually buy lactase enzyme and lactase tablets from eBay. The enzyme I add to milk and homemade yoghurt and the tablets allow me to consume normal products off the shelf with no adverse effects. They are quite small tablets and can be chewed.

Good info I havent been diagnosed as lactose intolerant but I am aware of the symptoms if I have too much "Normal" milk wheneverI have done slimfast andsorts I have used the soya milk (unsweetened)but its nasty in hot drinks. So the tablets yves sound brill so may have to get some nearer my time.

Very useful info Yve, thank you, I'll try the tablets x

I have found them a godsend. Also making my own yoghurt has helpe enormously as I now have low fat low sugar yoghurt every day.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to get some of the lactase enzyme/tablets :) i have never really liked milk so its probably an issue thats not reared its ugly head before as I always had black coffee/tea etc and dry cereals. i love yoghurts and have been making my own for the past few weeks. so initially i thought it may be the artificial sweetner causing the upset. but its not, as i was fine eating the homemade yoghurt with a tsp of honey, or just plain. its milk that is the crippler. But I know I need calcium for my old bones and I am sick if i take calcium tablets....so off to ebay i go ashopping so i can enjoy the odd hot chocolate or horlicks with milk ... makes a change to buying clothes :rolleyes: gonn put a carton of soya and oat milk on my online shopping list too ...always up for a new experience ... i live life on the edge :eek:

I developed it/discovered it on the pre op milk diet. I never had a prob before but 4 pints in a day meant I spent 2 weeks on the loo. It was really bad post op but now I find I can tolerate it in small amount, so a bit of yogurt and cheese but I still have soy milk as I drink tons of tea. You can get the soy milk fortified with calcium and b vitamins too. My friend who is severely lactose intolerant swears by the lacto free range and has her cheese, milk and yogurt products from them :)

Often people who don't have the same severity I do can tolerate yoghurts. The reason for this is that in the process of the yoghurt culturing much of the lactose is actually used up as it feeds the process. Hence yoghurt has a minute amount of lactose - I still can't tolerate even this! You may find storebought yoghurts no longer agree with you because many of them will re-add lactose to sweeten the yoghurt.

As for the lactofree, all they do is add lactase enzyme! So I worked it out - it is cheaper to buy the enzyme and add your own to milk, or have a tablet with cheese than it is to buy the lactofree stuff. Also beware icecream - it has an exorbitant amount of lactose.

Just to add my two penneth...Flutterby it could just be overload - are you drinking the milk cold or boiled? As that can make a difference as the enzymes change in the lactose once the milk is bought over boiling point.

If your digestive system is not used to large amounts of milk then it will give you symptoms...however I need to remind you all (as my nursing duty! lol) that an intolerance to milk does not mean lactose intolerant!

Most intolerances, once you have completely abstained from them for 12 weeks can be very slowly re introduced without any problem. I am aware that the "lactose intolerance" that people of Indian or sub continent origin is very different to what most of us "white folk" think of as intolerant - there's is a genetic problem and no amount of slow reintroduction works for them.

Please ladies be very careful buying drugs off the internet - they are not regulated or licensed.

I hope it resolved soon for you, Christmas coming may help with a few extra pounds! x

Oo ... Any two penneth appreciated :D its deffo a milk overdose ... :greenapple: being healthy, it's not good for you :8855:

That's interesting Oonion as obviously my heritage is indian - I have tried slow reintroduction and been in agony and sworn never again.

Appreciate what you're saying about drugs off the internet - we make our own judgement calls - I know these are safe for various reasons. But agree that it pays to be very careful.

He has been having a pita trying to get spots with the dietitician. So no further than we were sadly and he's not focused enough to start it on his own.

Lol at Egyptian. Definitely Indian heritage. I don't find it too bad nowadays but initially I was really having to be careful with my meals. Thankfully have cooked from scratch for ages so didn't have to worry about lactose in read made stuff.

Back