• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 years 8 months update

Miss Tickle

Hi everyone,
I thought I'd give a progress check as I approach my 3rd surgerversary . I can't believe how quickly it's gone. I hope this will be useful for those of you considering surgery, those post-op and still losing and those old timers like me, who are managing wls long term.

I had a RNY gastric bypass by open surgery in July 2011. I went from 24st 7lbs to 12st 4lbs.
It took me 16 months from my op to reach my goal and I've stayed there, or thereabouts, ever since.
I followed the pre-op and post-op diets to the letter, walked from day one and gradually increased my exercise which, miraculously, included taking up running.
I have gone from a size 28 to a 12/14 though I have a few 10's in my wardrobe as well. I am 5ft 10ins and my BMI is a tad below 25.
I no longer have diabetes, chest infections, knee and hip problems or high blood pressure . I sadly do have high cholesterol .This is genetic and cannot be controlled by diet so I take a statin.
I have a bad back which didn't trouble me before but it is nothing compared to the constant pain and lack of mobility I experienced before I lost weight. I am constantly cold, instead of forever sweaty . I have loose skin on my arms, thighs, bum and tum. It could be a lot worse but still it bothers me. I was not prepared for the effect on my face which has drooped from the nose down and is very ageing. My boobs are small and low slung but,hey ho, I'm well past 40 and they fed my babies.
I had my gall bladder removed in April 2013 and felt very well within three weeks of surgery, having been really ill since the previous Christmas.

It hasn't been easy. There has been pain, nausea,sickness ( and still is now and again) and self reproach and disgust at allowing myself to 'need' this surgery. I have had to use my will power the whole way through. In the beginning it was to get up and move, despite the fact it hurt like hell. Later, it was about getting my fluids in and making the right choices about food. I need heaps of it all day, every day now, or else I will go back to bad ways. I still have an eating disorder but just need to be aware of it, and manage it. I've had to do a lot of soul searching and self reflection and learn to be honest with myself about my abuse of food.

The truth is you can cheat. You can make the wrong choices. You can waste this opportunity.

I am thankfull every day for this gift, but that doesn't mean I don't abuse it, or fight it now and again.There are things I cannot eat: bread, rice, pastry, white fish, pork or beef except if it's minced. Now and again I try. I am then very ill. Even so, my diet is very varied although my portion size remains small. I have to accept that this really is for life, and portion size wise, there are NO days off !

However, I am very aware that I am approaching a serious danger point. Statistically,many people do regain around three years out. I really want to do everything I can to avoid that.
I have noticed that I have been returning to old habits , several days a week, recently. So for example, I might miss breakfast, eat just a little too much at dinner and, my biggest down fall, graze on ( and STILL imagine I am rewarding myself) low fat savoury snacks and chocolate, biccies and cake ! You can't half pack a lot of crunchy and melty food in, and the calories really stack up even if you stick to weight watchers and low fat/sugar products. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine to have a little something now and again but for me it was starting to become the norm rather than the exception so this week I am going back to basics. Right back to basics ! I am doing the milk diet for a few days, will do a few days on clear liquids, a few days on mushy and then start re-feeding. This is not to lose more weight, although another half stone would be nice to make me a definate 12 everywhere. I am doing it to re-set my pouch and get back in touch with my good habits.The biggest one is to start eating for nutrition again, rather than for reward.
You will have seen these elsewhere as I didn't invent them but here are my tips for success: new habits that I really beleive helped me get the best out of my precious gift. I followed them from the start and still do now:
Always eat off a side plate
Put your cutlery down between mouthfuls
Cut food up in to tiny pieces and chew, chew, chew.
Never drink with meals, always leave a gap of at least 30 minutes before and after eating.
Stay off fizzy drinks
Eat your protein first
Don't avoid solid protein even though eating it is an effort. It will fill you and keep you fuller longer
Eat plenty of veg, after your protein
Keep carbs low and only eat if you have room after your protein and veg
Minimise snacking on carbs
Drink lots of sugar free liquids all day, every day.
Weigh yourself regularly. If you put on three pounds take drastic action. You are in control.
After a year have an occassional alcoholic beverage, but don't waste too many calories on it
Treat yourself occassionally but all things in moderation.
Shift your ass, and keep on shifting it!!!

My life is immeasurably changed for the better. I could not have lost this amount of weight without surgery but it's not for everybody. It is certainly not easy. It is definatley not magic. If you are pre-op and you can't REALLY commit to this, if you can't do the work and make the change forever then don't have surgery. You will lose weight intitally but will be disappointed in the long term. You have to really, really work to lose the weight and then to keep it off. It takes time, change and effort but it is completely worth it. It is NOT an easy option. Never forget that.
Good luck and love to all
- Miss T xxx

Last edited:

joanne7271

Shrink me please x
Wow, what a thread. I am pre-op and I understand what you are saying but as a pre-opper, I dont think I can appreciate the effort that needs to be put in....... and I dont mean that to sound rude. I just think as you know, being a large person you have a low self image. Even though I am goin through with the surgery very shortly, I still do not think it will work or still cant believe it is goin to happen.

HAving said that I am miserable and unhappy with myself and need something to happen to turn this around....... I want to live for the first time in my life. At the beginning of this journey my doctor asked me when was the last time I felt comfortble in my skin....... well the answer was never, he looked so shocked.

I have always felt fat and to be honest i look back at photos now and realise i wasnt, it was other peoples comments that made me think i was fat! Always the tallest in the school, well developed compared to all the skinny minis in my year group, i always felt the ogre but I actually wasnt and wish someone had told me so......

I cannot comprehend what life is going to be like but can only have faith in my decision and determination and hope for the best......... this is the biggest leap of faith I will ever take x

Jenny196

Thank you so much for this, the tip section is a great reminder for all of us, no matter what stage of the journey we are on. And thank you for reminding me to treasure this tool I have been given and to make the best use of it i can. I find myself sometimes slipping into old habits and food takes over my day. Like you, I've suffered from an eating disorder most of my life and surgery was the only option left for me. It's not an easy way out, or a magic wand, its hard work, commitment and dedication.

Thank you again for this post x

Miss Tickle

Wow, what a thread. I am pre-op and I understand what you are saying but as a pre-opper, I dont think I can appreciate the effort that needs to be put in....... and I dont mean that to sound rude. I just think as you know, being a large person you have a low self image. Even though I am goin through with the surgery very shortly, I still do not think it will work or still cant believe it is goin to happen.

HAving said that I am miserable and unhappy with myself and need something to happen to turn this around....... I want to live for the first time in my life. At the beginning of this journey my doctor asked me when was the last time I felt comfortble in my skin....... well the answer was never, he looked so shocked.

I have always felt fat and to be honest i look back at photos now and realise i wasnt, it was other peoples comments that made me think i was fat! Always the tallest in the school, well developed compared to all the skinny minis in my year group, i always felt the ogre but I actually wasnt and wish someone had told me so......

I cannot comprehend what life is going to be like but can only have faith in my decision and determination and hope for the best......... this is the biggest leap of faith I will ever take x

If you work at it Jo you will suceed. The great thing about surgery ,for me, was the fantastic initial weight loss both on pre-op and then in the golden six months. It lifted me and changedmy outlook. I knew as soon as I woke up that I would suceed.To be honest I flt that as I'd survived the op, and made the comitment, I could do it. And the initial weight loss is a total buzz !
You remind me of me. I was called a carthorse by a teacher in primary school. My sister was the little pretty one and my parents were alwyas on at me about my weight. I've seen the pictures and I was skinny. I have come to realise now that what they couldn't handle my height and confused this with generalbigness. I was sent to a dieticiasn when I was 7lbs lighter than I am now. My mum was a tiny 5ft 1.5ins and i just didn't meet their expectation of what a little girl should be. I don't blame them but do think it affected my eating later on.
I wish you really good luck, and remember all the catwalk models are tall girls too xxx

Last edited:

fayz

Excellent post and excellent reminder of the fact that we need to keep working at this for the rest of our lives to get the results we want.

flutterby1966

So so right .. It's going to be something we have to work at continually. That's why I've given up chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cakes etc from 1 march for lent. Bad habits creeping in. No major weight gain, but forgoing the healthy foodstuffs for rubbish isn't good. Good luck mrs tickle, thanks for posting x

weegie

Hi there

Prompted by you coming back to post on the long termer's thread I had a look at your previous postings, and wow. Such a rich source of info for us bypassers.

I am on a revision from a band I originally had in 2007. I was very successful with it losing over 9 and a half stone but years down the line I developed major problems had significant regain and had a mini bypass in June this year. It is a 2 metre bypass so badly named and, for all intents and purposes, post op is the same as the rny.

One of the reasons this site is so wonderful is the ability to benefit from members old and new. Your update is good solid info snd advice.

So thanks for coming back and prompting me to look.

Hugx

Ps I wish you well with your regain and getting back on track.

Loving the Loop

Firstly, Weegie I am really glad you commented on this old thread as it brought it to my attention.

Now Miss Tickle what a brilliant post, exactly the reason I came to this forum. I am only starting my post op journey and reading your experiences has just confirmed by believe that this can't be done Half assed and that I will only succeed if I fully commit to changing my whole attitude to food and doing the ground work early during the honeymoon period to make this a long term fix.

I see we are over a year on form you posting this I hope you are still maintaining ok.

Miss Tickle

Thanks both, for commenting on this old post. I had forgotten it and reading it has made me cry. It has also made me realise that I havent put on a stone and a half, I've put on two, and fast !
I did get back to basics for a while after this and then started breaking some really important rules : I started grazing , eating crunchy stuff, cake and chocolate and stopped exercising in a regular way. I am sad I havent learned from my own experience and followed my own advice.
I've got back on track this week but reading this post has reminded me that this is for life, I cant just take a few months off and expect to stay slim, and very importantly that I've been back to basics before. The trick is staying there !!!
So thank you ladies, and very best wishes on your journey xx

weegie

Thanks both, for commenting on this old post. I had forgotten it and reading it has made me cry. It has also made me realise that I havent put on a stone and a half, I've put on two, and fast ! I did get back to basics for a while after this and then started breaking some really important rules : I started grazing , eating crunchy stuff, cake and chocolate and stopped exercising in a regular way. I am sad I havent learned from my own experience and followed my own advice. I've got back on track this week but reading this post has reminded me that this is for life, I cant just take a few months off and expect to stay slim, and very importantly that I've been back to basics before. The trick is staying there !!! So thank you ladies, and very best wishes on your journey xx

Great advice doesn't have an expiry date Mrs Tickle so the gratitude is all mine, but I do apologise if bringing it back made you upset.

I know as well as anyone what regain feels like. Mine was around 4 and a half stone and more if you take it from my lowest weight :eek: I settled in at a weight I was comfortable with rather than happy with and never expected it could turn so quickly. Because of the problems my band was causing I could only eat rubbish and I made sure there was lots of it whilst I wallowed in self pity. Sorting it out is what counts, and thats what we are doing. I see my revision as a second chance and will not waste it. Sure there are some bumpy bits to get over but the direction is still towards a healthy weight and the promise is to stay there this time.

Good luck to you too hun. It really is good to see long termers posting. Invaluable.

Hugx

Miss Tickle

No apology required weegie. I needed that reminder xx

~Alison~

Hi everyone, I thought I'd give a progress check as I approach my 3rd surgerversary . I can't believe how quickly it's gone. I hope this will be useful for those of you considering surgery, those post-op and still losing and those old timers like me, who are managing wls long term. I had a RNY gastric bypass by open surgery in July 2011. I went from 24st 7lbs to 12st 4lbs. It took me 16 months from my op to reach my goal and I've stayed there, or thereabouts, ever since. I followed the pre-op and post-op diets to the letter, walked from day one and gradually increased my exercise which, miraculously, included taking up running. I have gone from a size 28 to a 12/14 though I have a few 10's in my wardrobe as well. I am 5ft 10ins and my BMI is a tad below 25. I no longer have diabetes, chest infections, knee and hip problems or high blood pressure . I sadly do have high cholesterol .This is genetic and cannot be controlled by diet so I take a statin. I have a bad back which didn't trouble me before but it is nothing compared to the constant pain and lack of mobility I experienced before I lost weight. I am constantly cold, instead of forever sweaty . I have loose skin on my arms, thighs, bum and tum. It could be a lot worse but still it bothers me. I was not prepared for the effect on my face which has drooped from the nose down and is very ageing. My boobs are small and low slung but,hey ho, I'm well past 40 and they fed my babies. I had my gall bladder removed in April 2013 and felt very well within three weeks of surgery, having been really ill since the previous Christmas. It hasn't been easy. There has been pain, nausea,sickness ( and still is now and again) and self reproach and disgust at allowing myself to 'need' this surgery. I have had to use my will power the whole way through. In the beginning it was to get up and move, despite the fact it hurt like hell. Later, it was about getting my fluids in and making the right choices about food. I need heaps of it all day, every day now, or else I will go back to bad ways. I still have an eating disorder but just need to be aware of it, and manage it. I've had to do a lot of soul searching and self reflection and learn to be honest with myself about my abuse of food. The truth is you can cheat. You can make the wrong choices. You can waste this opportunity. I am thankfull every day for this gift, but that doesn't mean I don't abuse it, or fight it now and again.There are things I cannot eat: bread, rice, pastry, white fish, pork or beef except if it's minced. Now and again I try. I am then very ill. Even so, my diet is very varied although my portion size remains small. I have to accept that this really is for life, and portion size wise, there are NO days off ! However, I am very aware that I am approaching a serious danger point. Statistically,many people do regain around three years out. I really want to do everything I can to avoid that. I have noticed that I have been returning to old habits , several days a week, recently. So for example, I might miss breakfast, eat just a little too much at dinner and, my biggest down fall, graze on ( and STILL imagine I am rewarding myself) low fat savoury snacks and chocolate, biccies and cake ! You can't half pack a lot of crunchy and melty food in, and the calories really stack up even if you stick to weight watchers and low fat/sugar products. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine to have a little something now and again but for me it was starting to become the norm rather than the exception so this week I am going back to basics. Right back to basics ! I am doing the milk diet for a few days, will do a few days on clear liquids, a few days on mushy and then start re-feeding. This is not to lose more weight, although another half stone would be nice to make me a definate 12 everywhere. I am doing it to re-set my pouch and get back in touch with my good habits.The biggest one is to start eating for nutrition again, rather than for reward. You will have seen these elsewhere as I didn't invent them but here are my tips for success: new habits that I really beleive helped me get the best out of my precious gift. I followed them from the start and still do now: Always eat off a side plate Put your cutlery down between mouthfuls Cut food up in to tiny pieces and chew, chew, chew. Never drink with meals, always leave a gap of at least 30 minutes before and after eating. Stay off fizzy drinks Eat your protein first Don't avoid solid protein even though eating it is an effort. It will fill you and keep you fuller longer Eat plenty of veg, after your protein Keep carbs low and only eat if you have room after your protein and veg Minimise snacking on carbs Drink lots of sugar free liquids all day, every day. Weigh yourself regularly. If you put on three pounds take drastic action. You are in control. After a year have an occassional alcoholic beverage, but don't waste too many calories on it Treat yourself occassionally but all things in moderation. Shift your ass, and keep on shifting it!!! My life is immeasurably changed for the better. I could not have lost this amount of weight without surgery but it's not for everybody. It is certainly not easy. It is definatley not magic. If you are pre-op and you can't REALLY commit to this, if you can't do the work and make the change forever then don't have surgery. You will lose weight intitally but will be disappointed in the long term. You have to really, really work to lose the weight and then to keep it off. It takes time, change and effort but it is completely worth it. It is NOT an easy option. Never forget that. Good luck and love to all - Miss T xxx

Thanks for this, I am six months out and thought of regain terrifies me xx