• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lap band

jasmin london

Hi, hope your all well
so another year is about to end and i am at my heaviest weight yet just under 19 stone , i have tried everything and am now have an appointment next week to see a private surgeon at BMi surrey for a lap band.
Just wanted to know what happens now , after my appointment with this dude, how long before i can have the surgery ?

i want to end next year my lightest yet, thus the lap band > does it work and is it worth it, i know its no miracle cure but just want to know if it is easier than things lijke lighterlife ... which helped me pile on the pounds, i lost two stone but could not stomach another shake, or bar after without throwing up.

any advice would be apprecaiated

happy holidays

jazzx

Hi Jazz,

:welcome:

Just wanted to welcome you to WLSurgery and wish you good luck with your appointment.

I am sure someone who has gone through this part of the journey will be along soon and fill you in on what you can expect to happen.

Love Mini xxx

Hi Jazz,

Well done for taking the first step to WLS. I had a gastric band nearly 7 weeks ago and i've lost 2 stone now, so it's definately been worth it for me to date!
I went private at the Leeds Nuffield and once i'd seen the surgeon i was booked in for my op approximately 6 weeks later, some can do it sooner depending on availability of the surgeon and private patients do tend to get in quicker than NHS, so your wait shouldn't be long at all.
I was provided with a pre-op diet to follow by the dietician for 10 days before the op, then I had my pre-op assessment 5 days before and everything came back fine so it was all go for the op. My experience in the hospital was much better than i'd expected, I was sore afterwards but managed with this fine, I was pretty well recovered after a week. I was first down to theatre at 8:30am on the day and the surgeon came to see me at 6pm in the evening to check me over, he said I was doing really well and could go home that evening! If the op had been later in the day then i'd probably have had to stay in, but I had my own private room and en-suite, so it wouldn't have been a problem... it was like staying in a traveodge, lol.
I've managed well since the op and i'm getting used to the signals the band gives me etc. I had my first fill nearly 2 weeks ago and have some restriction, although I don't think I'm at the right restriction yet, however I go back in Jan to see my consultant so may get another fill then.
The most difficult part for me was sticking to liquids for 4 weeks after the op, I really missed chewing, lol. Although different providers give you different guidelines in terms of the length of time for the liquid and sloppy stages etc. I'm also having to work around the psychological factors that the band doesn't fix, e.g comfort eating, appropriate portion sizes etc, however i've been doing pretty well with this to date too, so hopefully it won't become an issue.

Although it's still early days for me I'm so glad I made the decision to go ahead with it... and i'm hoping it'll only get better from here onwards.

Good luck with your consultation and keep us updated on your journey.

Best Wishes

Katie X

Thanks thats just the advice i needed, you have done so well. fingers crossed i will do as well as you

what a great way to start the new year x Happy new you and Happy New year xx

Welcome to the site hun!! Have you tried getting the op through the NHS first? Or are you choosing to go private???

If you have any questions about anything then post on the WLSurgery section of the site..............there are lots of post and pre-op people who would be able to give great advice!!! I started off wanting a band but am now opting for a bypass. I was 19 stones at my heaviest too!!! Luckily I have my op date on the 19th of Feb, so not too long to wait!!

Good luck!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back