• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy

HiYa Linda,

Sorry I can't help with your question, as I don't know anything about the Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy, but i am sure someone will be along soon to help you out.
I just wanted to welcome you to minis, Hope you like it here.

Hi Linda
I might be getting it done in Charing Cross Hospital London . I`m waiting for a dye test because of the angina pain , if the heart is OK I want a bypass but if its not I`ll be getting the sleeve . It only takes about 45mins to do . I know a few people that has had it and they are very happy with it one girl got hers in March and shes lost 3st . Good luck and take care hun .
MARGARET XX

Hi Linda and:welcome2: to mini's. I'm having a band so can't really help you. Blondemoment had a sleeve last week so I'm sure when she's well enough to come on here she will help you out. Good luck with your wls journey. xxGaynorxx

Hiya, in my research some people have done so well with the sleeve that further surgery isn't necessary. I have contemplated this type myself.

I'm 7 weeks post op with a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself, have lost 2 stone and only have 4 teeny tiny scars which will disappear. I'm not going on to phase 2, duodenal switch. My BMI wasn't high enough to start with for that, plus I have other medical issues which also rule out DS. But that's fine. I know I can achieve and maintain a good healthy weight just with the VSG. I don't understand why it's not a more popular choice among surgeons. Yes, it's more invasive than the band and it's not reversible like the band, but it leaves the internal anatomy pretty much intact. Bypass changes the plumbing. Bypass is the right choice for some people, I'm not knocking it. I just don't get why the sleeve is so rare. :confused:

I'm 7 weeks post op with a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself, have lost 2 stone and only have 4 teeny tiny scars which will disappear. I'm not going on to phase 2, duodenal switch. My BMI wasn't high enough to start with for that, plus I have other medical issues which also rule out DS. But that's fine. I know I can achieve and maintain a good healthy weight just with the VSG. I don't understand why it's not a more popular choice among surgeons. Yes, it's more invasive than the band and it's not reversible like the band, but it leaves the internal anatomy pretty much intact. Bypass changes the plumbing. Bypass is the right choice for some people, I'm not knocking it. I just don't get why the sleeve is so rare. :confused:

Wow Ditsy, your doing really well! keep us updated with your progress. My Oh is considering having a sleeve.

Maz x

Thank you for your replies, i am finding the decision difficult because this is not a common procedure with it being irreversible is worrying.
Please let me know ditsy dame how you are going along?

i was told at homerton hospital that they mainly do sleeves and bypasses,i was gonna ask 4 sleeve but there the ones who suggetsed i have sleeve and as only takes about 40 mins isnt so bad either.As long as whole team agree i definetly want sleeve xx

newie to this

Can't understand why more are not having it done, I understand that the band will not last forever and needs replacing after so many years and adjustment's annually, is this right?

Can't understand why more are not having it done, I understand that the band will not last forever and needs replacing after so many years and adjustment's annually, is this right?

Hi again. If you google vertical sleeve gastrectomy discussion you'll find it's more popular in Austrailia as a stand alone procedure i.e. there's often no need for a second op. I think it's also gaining popularity in US now too.

Edited to add I found a discussion forum where a lot of people converted from the band to sleeve.

Hi
Yes I agree with Sarah I was told if I`m not happy with the weight loss after 18 months they would give me the bypass . But I`m hoping to get the bypass but I`ll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow .
Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

The ability to convert to a bypass as opposed to a DS depends on how stretched the new stomach is. So, it is not always possible to get a bypass further down the line. That's what I have been told anyways...

hi sarah. I too am booked at Homerton. Mr Mannur(I know) 1st consult, he took more time telling me how many ops he'd done than explaining the surgery to me, gave me a leaflet and said i'd hear from them.,got an appt in oct with nurse, but still have loads of questions.. have you heard of him, his team is himself and Andrew Jackson.
thanks, and good luck with ur weight loss,,

Hi,

My surgeon offers the band, sleeve or bypass. He said the sleeve is similar to a band in the way that it works but without the need for fills or risk of band slipping etc. He said in his experience it is more successful than the band with patients losing more weight and finding it easier to work with. Didn't convince me, I opted for the bypass!

Hope that helps,
Cuppacocoa xx

Back