• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting a pain when eating

Tazz76

Is anyone getting a pain in their sternum during or after eating. I'm getting it quite a lot and it is quite painfully. The pain subsides after 20min or so? Is this because I'm over doing it on the food? Help, I'm a little concerned and worried!

John. NHS Sleeve Gastrectomy 13/05/13, Consultant Mr Samir. Life is a game of inches. Al Pacino

Is anyone getting a pain in their sternum during or after eating. I'm getting it quite a lot and it is quite painfully. The pain subsides after 20min or so? Is this because I'm over doing it on the food? Help, I'm a little concerned and worried!

John. NHS Sleeve Gastrectomy 13/05/13, Consultant Mr Samir. Life is a game of inches. Al Pacino

I'm sorry I don't know hun, hopefully someone that knows will be along soon x

Sounds like iron fist from eating too fast but not sure if that is bandit problem and not applicable for sleevies, sorry!

Sounds like iron fist from eating too fast but not sure if that is bandit problem and not applicable for sleevies, sorry!

You might be right as that is a good description for the feeling I'm getting.

Yep you're probably eating too much or too fast. It's such a learning curve at the beginning!

Yep you're probably eating too much or too fast. It's such a learning curve at the beginning!

Yeah I wondered if I was eating to much and if that why I was getting it. Your right about it being a learning curve Victoria. I do wish my brain would sync with my body. I had two small slices of wholemeal bread with a small piece of breaded fish and half way through I got this ball or fist in my stomach. But I have had it when eating small potatoes without skin or beans the only thing I don't get it with is scrambled eggs!

Ditch the bread! I don't eat 2 slices now and I'm nearly a year out. I really don't have many carbs at all so I'd have fish with veg.

You will learn your signals it just takes time.

Crikey, I couldn't get that down either. Too many carbs there'd eat too. Bread is a hard one to stomach, I get this feeling from just a little bite ( when I really can't resist) but toast is ok......half a slice is my max though.

My band is empty (disconnected!) but still couldn't manage untoasted bread! I stick to flat breads like pitta or wraps if I have bread as they don't go sticky after chewing.

Yeah I think the bread was a bad option. I will strike this down to experience and omit bread from diet for a long time I think :)

I agree it could be the bread and that probably the reason why I'm still not allowed bread.
But I get the same pain when I eat too fast. 'Full signals' are quite slow to show so if you eat too fast you will easily overeat.

Yeah sounds about right. When I start to eat I'm fine, then I get the pain which slowly intensifies and it comes in waves. Then I start to burp but also I get indigestion. I get this no matter what I eat, it just so happened that I had bread yesterday. I don't always get this problem but I have had it quite a few times now I figured I had over eaten. But like has already been mentioned I'm still adjusting to a new lifestyle just wish my mind would get it's ass into to gear and sync with my body lol. Having said all of that, I still wouldn't change a thing and go through the same procedure tomorrow if I had too. :)

Try to eat without doing anything else (reading, watching TV etc).
If you eat with other people, try to make your meal last as long as other people's. That means putting down your fork after each bite and waiting a while before the next.
Also remember to chew very very well.
I've felt sick two times and both times I was eating without thinking.
Learning curve is quite fast and slowing down will become easier and easier.

Try to eat without doing anything else (reading, watching TV etc).
If you eat with other people, try to make your meal last as long as other people's. That means putting down your fork after each bite and waiting a while before the next.
Also remember to chew very very well.
I've felt sick two times and both times I was eating without thinking.
Learning curve is quite fast and slowing down will become easier and easier.

Yeah I do try to do what you have suggested, but I think I'm going into autopilot when eating and that is why I'm having this issue. Thanks for the advice I will keep myself focused and work on this today and see how I go.

Back