• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve study 3 years post op

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
The latest 3 year research data: Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy as a Stand-Alone P... [Obes Surg. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Excess weight loss was as follows: 1 year 86.6%, 2 years 84.1%, and 3 years 84.5%

This is even better than the previous reserch sleeve study I posted on WLS a few weeks back: http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-gastric-sleeve/144536-latest-sleeve-research-study-results.html

I do have moments occasionally where I still wonder should I really be going for the full bypass? ..... but most of the time I am happy with my decision to have a sleeve, especially when I come across research like this! :D

Sharon, i keep thinking the sleeve might be better, but then i think of all the chocolate and cake i eat, im in turmoil xx

It's not going to be until we get over the 5 year mark, and the maintenance weights are looked at that we will really know is the sleeve comes out as the top op. My surgeon offered me a sleeve, as it left him the ability to go on and do the DS if I had not lost enough - however I did not want my head to know that there was still another option if I was not being as good as I could - for me it was indeed the benefit of "dumping" with the bypass that made me opt for that rather than the sleeve. It is individual need though and what suits one is not always best for the next.
I look forward to seeing the research over the next few years, it's great that we have other options now adays. xx

They do start with a rather lower BMI than most though 37-41 ? No wonder they have a good percentage of excess, most of them probably only need to loose about 4 stone! x

I agree with you jan, my surgeon and I decided on the sleeve as it wasn't as invasive, it is a tool and we have to make the more healthy choices, I liked chocolate before my op but now I have not craved or wanted it. The research is encouraging

OOnion said:
They do start with a rather lower BMI than most though 37-41 ? No wonder they have a good percentage of excess, most of them probably only need to loose about 4 stone! x

I need to lose 9 to 10 stone, u think the sleeve will suffice?

from me phone :D

I love my new sleeve , I am 8 weeks post op today and have lost 4 stone so far 6stone still to loss , I would not change a thing xxx

Tracey37 said:
I love my new sleeve , I am 8 weeks post op today and have lost 4 stone so far 6stone still to loss , I would not change a thing xxx

My BMI was 65. Now 54

It can be harder and slower to loose only 4 stone....people with big amounts to loose usually do so much faster....untill they hit the lower numbers where it can then slow down.

Sharon, i keep thinking the sleeve might be better, but then i think of all the chocolate and cake i eat, im in turmoil xx

Caren i was a complete chocoholic........rather have that than real food. Not missed or wanted it at all since my pre op......i find it very odd!

Caren i was a complete chocoholic........rather have that than real food. Not missed or wanted it at all since my pre op......i find it very odd!
thats reassuring angee, thanks :) xxx

I did notice that this study was on a group of people with a lower average BMI (the previous study that I linked to 4 weeks ago had average BMI's of around 47 and their EWL averaged out about 70%).

I think BMI 37 - 41 is actually people with around 6 - 7 stone to lose -- but yes, obviously it is easier to lose 7 stone than 11 stone.

Although people with LESS to lose often report that their weight losses are slower, statistically they are more likely to return to a "normal" weight as they were less far away from a normal BMI at the start.

People who have gone beyond "morbidly obese" into the "super morbidly obese" category (BMI above 45) will always have to work harder to return to "normal" -- with whatever weight loss surgery tool or diet they chose.

my start weight i am ashamed to say was 24 st 08 lbs and my goal is to be 12 st 07 lbs so, i would love to lose half my bodyweight and, if i am lucky enough to be as successful as some 'sleevies' on here then at losing a stone a month i truly believe it may be possible - or am i being too optimistic?? xx

I think you are being fairly realistic, Genevive.

Certainly a stone a month is possible for the first 6 months, it might go down after that to 10 lbs a month for a while, and eventually down to approx 7 lbs a month.

My start weight at referral was 23½ stone and I am also aiming to lose about half (or slightly less than half) ...... aiming for around 12 stone.

One of my best mates had a sleeve 28th August. She lost 2st in her pre op and has lost over 10st post op. Her start BMI was over 60.

She is very pleased with her sleeve.

Not sure about less invasive though. In extreme circumstances a bypass can be reversed. A sleeve removed the excess stomach. That sounds pretty invasive to me. Isn't invasive about what happens during the op and not about the after effects?

I know some people prefer the sleeve because it does not have the malabsorption of the bypass.

I think the sleeve is a very good option from what I have seen. And the weight loss difference over all weight loss surgeries after 2 years is minimal :)

I agree with Fuffs; how much more invasive do you want than permanently cutting out 80% of your stomach?

I didn't choose it cus it was less invasive. I chose it because I didn't fancy being "replumbed", didn't have a massive amount to lose (4st ish and have already lost over 3st of it), and wanted maintenance free, hence not the band. I'm very pleased with my choice, even though I get pain after eating if I eat too fast/don't chew enough and can't tolerate certain foods. I didn't add "eat too much" as it's impossible for me to eat too much at the moment. It's worth it, for the weight loss and the way I feel.

I need to lose 9 to 10 stone, u think the sleeve will suffice?

Technically it is possible to lose 126 - 140 lbs with a sleeve -- in amongst the Endobariatric YouTube sleeve success stories are clips with various people having lost 150 lbs - 200 lbs plus.

However, it does depend where your start weight is and where you expect to end up -- and I have to say that expecting to end up with a BMI of 22 and weighing only between 8½ - 9½ stone does sound rather low.

Is your goal to lose *more* than half your original starting weight realistic, Caren? Is 9 stone a weight that you have weighed during the past 15 - 20 years ???

================

For me, I last weighed 12 stone at 16 years old.

I last weighed 15 stone at 21 years old.

I last weighed 18 stone about 5 years ago after a very stringent attempt at dieting for 8 months ..... and my opinion is that without surgery I would find it extremely difficult to ever get below 18 stone again.

Although I have said that my goal (ideally) is to lose half my weight and end up approx 12 stone, I am trying to be realistic.

If 18 months after surgery I actually end up not getting below 14 stone it will still be a whole lot more healthy than weighing over 300 lbs, having diabetes, and knees and hips that are crumbling and struggling to keep me upright.

=======================

Realistic expectations of what surgery can achieve was one of the first things the bariatric team tackled at my first NHS appointment (I realise you have not been fortunate enough to get thru the hoops far enough for that yet Caren).

At the Information / Education Session I attended back in June 2011, the Bariatric Nurse and Dietician handed out sheets detailing likely expected weight loss and made it quite clear to us that to expect to lose 100% of our excess weight (EWL) is very unrealistic, and that if we achieve around 80% EWL we would be considered a successful patient.

I was 19.6 when I started this journey and now weigh 12.10, lost a few stone before op which does help. I am trying to get down to 10 stone which will be 9 stone 6 lb lost. It is possible to loose it, at only 10 weeks post op hope I can get 2 stone 10 lb off. I do love my sleeve :) x

Back