• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Life insurance.... post op.

Localizer

Hello Folks!
Has anyone else taken out any life insurance post operation?

I had my sleeve done in October and wanted to renew a policy that came to term in December, only to find Aviva - who struggled to find a good box to tick for WLS - refused to renew. Worse than that, they generously offered that I could apply again in April, but any insurance would be on 'special terms'.

I can wait, but I'm not impressed with Aviva - has anyone else had a better experience or can recommend another provider?

Ironic isn't it that through WLS I have statistically improved my chances of getting to the end of a policy without a claim .... but they won't insure at all now, or in the future without special terms.

P.

I found the same problem with travel insurance. They would cover me as long as anything arising out of the operation was excluded. I had a heck of a job finding someone who would cover me.

I hadn't considered life insurance I thought they ran forever!!

Why did you have to declare it? surely now you're not morbidly obese your health is better! Mine is!

.... I was buying term insurance - another 20 years of cover.
Had to declare it as, unlike last time I took out such insurance, they now ask 'lifestyle' questions as a part of the application process - height, weight, medications and any visits to the Quacks or surgery in last 3 years.

I was looking forward to becoming overweight this weekend (.... from obese) - sort of takes the shine off of it!

Had not thought about travel insurance - must look at the small print on my policy.

Hello Folks!
Has anyone else taken out any life insurance post operation?

I had my sleeve done in October and wanted to renew a policy that came to term in December, only to find Aviva - who struggled to find a good box to tick for WLS - refused to renew. Worse than that, they generously offered that I could apply again in April, but any insurance would be on 'special terms'.

I can wait, but I'm not impressed with Aviva - has anyone else had a better experience or can recommend another provider?

Ironic isn't it that through WLS I have statistically improved my chances of getting to the end of a policy without a claim .... but they won't insure at all now, or in the future without special terms.

P.

Thanks for this post!!! I have seen a lot of posts regarding travel insurance but this is the first one mentioning the Life insurance aspect.. I am checking the small print on my life insurance policy even as I type this... I think though where travel insurance is concerned, if you search the forums you will find a couple of posts naming companies who do travel insurance for wls at a really reasonable rate...

Travel insurance is covered under my bank account, I will need to check the small print before I travel next time. Did not think for one minute WLS may affect it :(

As for life insurance LOL they refused to cover me because of my weight, no terms offered just a straight no! I do have some cover through work 3xSalary.

Health insurance I am covered through work, so no real worries.

Basically insurance is we want your money but really we do not want to give any back...

i too find the same problem while dealing with these insurance providers. One of my friend was in this kind of job and what he said was really astonishing. He said that non of the health claims towards the policy holders are fully cleared, the firms always have an excuse on their behalf to get rid of those claims, be it on medical grounds or non disclosed policy terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back