• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lifespan of the band

mintball

I've been told that as i'm only 31, the band will have to be replaced at least once in my lifetime.

Does anyone have any info on the lifespan of the band??

Lisa x x x

hi lisa mine was replaced after 3.5 years due to a manufacture fault, nobody knows the average life span of a band but the longest bander ive heard of is 15 years to present.

liz x

I was told by my surgeon its like having a hip replaced, one day it will need replacement.

That could be down to a number of things but he told me there are MIDBAND patients in Switzerland that have had the same band in for 17 years, although the average is 15.

He also mentioned that I have one of the newer bands made stronger and safer, so it is likely to last 15-20 years albiet if I have no problems.

Interesting thread guys. My next question would be how do you know when the band is 'knackered' and how would you go about getting it replaced -any ideas? If it reaches the end of its lifespan, does it just stay there even if it is not effective anymore or does it have to come out?? Answers on a postcard...........

Interesting thread guys. My next question would be how do you know when the band is 'knackered' and how would you go about getting it replaced -any ideas? If it reaches the end of its lifespan, does it just stay there even if it is not effective anymore or does it have to come out?? Answers on a postcard...........

hi ali
i knew my band was starting to break down as the fills just wasnt working, this was because the tube was breaking away from the band end, gradually over time another sign for me was i needed bigger portions to satisfy me. the fill people confirmed it was broken on my last fill with the old band they could see the tube was loose and also on the xray they could see the band has a twist / fracture in it. i guess the best way to keep an eye on the condition of the band is to have xray fills. im lucky as i was nhs banded so it was changed free, if i had of been private i wouldnt of been able to afford a removal replacement op.
people going private one of the questions to ask is does the price i pay cover a faulty band with a replacement band.

i hope that explains things a little better.

liz xxx

mmm sounds like it could end up pricey if i go private, almost makes more sense to pay the extra for the bypass cos at least then its done. Just seems so extreme

Lisa x x x

Lisa i wasnt given the choice of the band. I was told that the bypass was the only way forward for me. Prior to being referrred to the weight management clinic i had never considered wls.
I have got to admit that i admire all the members on here that have had the band but listening to the problems some people have with being able to feel their ports, having to keep going back to liquids after a fill, the fear of the tummy swelling after a fill and having to have the band emptied, etc etc i am so glad i had the bypass.
For me my recovery has been fantastic and apart from the 5 puncture sites and a bit of discomfort if i eat the wrong texture or too much i wouldnt believe that the surgoen had done anything.
what ever you choose it will e a life changing experiance.
take care
HC

Thanks HC, I do have the choice between the two but they're definately pushing me towards the bypass especially cos i have polycystiv ovaries

Lisa x x x

History of the band -

In early 1985, Dr. Dag Hallberg applied for a patent for the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB) within Scandinavian countries. In late March, Dr. Hallberg presented his idea of the "balloon band" at the Swedish Surgical Society and started to use the SAGB in a controlled series of 50 procedures. During this time, laparoscopic surgery was not common and Dr. Hallberg and his assistant, Dr. Peter Forsell, started performing the open technique to implant the SAGB.
In 1992, Dr. Forsell was in contact with different surgeons in Switzerland, Italy and Germany who began to implant the SAGB with the laparoscopic technique. Dr. Forsell fully owned the patent at this time. In 1994, Dr. Forsell presented the SAGB at an international workshop for bariatric surgery in Sweden, and from then on, the SAGB started to be implanted laparoscopically. During this time, the SAGB was manufactured by a Swedish company, ATOS Medical.

So i'd guess unless you have some sort of mecanical failure the band will function for a long time.

hi
i was told it was a new type of band and should last my lifetime..
umm funny isnt it how we didnt really think of this..
hey it will cost me a fortune when im a pensioner as my boobs only last 25years lol
emma

vampaliouse Do you mind me asking how much you have lost since having yr band put in. By the way welcome to minis you look fantastic.

did you have it done on the NHS. if so would you have the option to convert to bypass if you are struggling so much.

hey vamp i no u from b/p, i was wondering how u been getting on since last post on there, ppl been worried about ya,my band also played up i asked 4 a bypass insted of a replacement band they said NO WAY ! as my bmi is now to low from the weight loss from the band.
i hope things work out for you and it gets sorted soon.

liz xxx

Last edited:
Back