• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone been refused gastric band?

PinkDaisy

I will do it this time!
Hey reading through the posts on here it seems a lot of ppl have been recomended to go for bypass instead of band, does this mean they actually wud refuse to do the band or is it just their opinion? I am set on the band as I just want to feel 'full' as I dont often get that feeling lol

I am now worrying they will say I cant have the band as I cant stretch my funds any further to go for bypass and I am happy with my decision for the band.

Any info as always appreciated

Thanks guys!
xx

Hi, your best to talk it over with your surgeon he will advise you what is best for you, but realisticly if your going private they will give you what ever you want
hope this helps sue

hi Pink, as I have said in another thread I knew what I wanted before going in. I did tell my surgeon that I thought I didnt have the will power to do the band and I have a lot to lose.

He agreed , his comment was ' If you dont think it will work then it wont, even if you are 95% it will work it wont !'
Because I had been honest with him he agreed to the bypass, he would have offered the band to me if I had that willpower and his personal opinion is that the band isnt as popular now.

As Sue said though, you are going private so you have the upper hand, Im in the hands of the NHS i have to do as Im told..well almost lol

Good luck you will be absolutely fine, and you will be given the band...sending good vibes

Hi Pink,

Like yourself I m going with the WLS Group, and have decided on the band. When I saw Wendy she didnt try and persuade me otherwise, so I just stuck with what i knew. Everyone is different, and I firmly believe the band is for me...and at 6k I will truly make it work lol. Good luck hun. My band is on Sat, so will let you know how it all goes. xx

Speaking with your surgeon is the best bet. Be honest with him and tell him the situation with your funds. Explain that you are determined to make the band work for you.At the end of the day its your money and your choice. Good luck with the apointment with the surgeonxxx

Aww fab thanks guys and susie it wud be gr8 to keep in touch! Good luck for saturday il say a prayer for u !!

Do you have msn or yahoo messenger so we can keep in touch? xx

i was nhs and having a huge bmi when i started was strongly recommended a bypass but i wanted a band and they gave it too me and its worked well

Hi Pink...as you are going private, I don't expect them to sway you from your choice...I chose band over bypass due to funds too and I'm sure it will work for you...I used to eat enormous portions of food but at the moment can barely eat a teaplate of food...it's not easy, but amazing at the same time :eek: :D

good luck with your consultation xx

Thanks yvonne I am so amazed by how kind everyone on this forum is and helpful, i wud have been a bag of nerves without u guys xx

Hi pink daisy, I was all set for a band, but because I waited quite a while for my consultation, I had time to think about it all and decided the bypass was better for me. When I spoke to Wendy she was great, and she will be great to you too. There is no pressure and she will be honest with you.

I weighed my options up financially, and in the long term a gastric bypass would be cheaper for me. Mainly because, the band isn't forever, and will need replacing at some point down the line if you decide to keep one in.

It's a tricky one, and I know where you coming from with money things :)

I'm sure you'll work with the band great and get fantastic results :)

xxx

Hi pink daisy, I was all set for a band, but because I waited quite a while for my consultation, I had time to think about it all and decided the bypass was better for me. When I spoke to Wendy she was great, and she will be great to you too. There is no pressure and she will be honest with you.

I weighed my options up financially, and in the long term a gastric bypass would be cheaper for me. Mainly because, the band isn't forever, and will need replacing at some point down the line if you decide to keep one in.

It's a tricky one, and I know where you coming from with money things :)

I'm sure you'll work with the band great and get fantastic results :)

xxx

What do you mean 'the band will need replacing', I was told it was for life and never needs to come out, did someone tell you that?

I think it has a life span of 15yrs doesnt it??

Thats not what I was told, at my consultation my hubby asked when would the band come out and we were told unless I requested it to come out it would be in for life

They might have meant that you can have a band for life, not meaning the same one. :confused:

As far as I was aware, it kind of works like breast implants (?). They will need replacing.

My friend has a band fitted and has been told it can range from 5 years to 15 years.

xxx

They might have meant that you can have a band for life, not meaning the same one. :confused:

As far as I was aware, it kind of works like breast implants (?). They will need replacing.

My friend has a band fitted and has been told it can range from 5 years to 15 years.

xxx

I found this on healthierweights website...........
How long will the band last?
The short answer is that we really don’t know. The first band was implanted in 1993 and so our experience is limited to the 15 years or so which have elapsed since then. However, silicone has been used in the manufacture of medical devices for many years and there is no evidence to suggest that it carries any long-term risks. Whether the band structure will remain intact in the very long-term (30+ years) remains to be seen, but as yet there is no reason to think that it will not.

oooh even better news! lol x

I found this on healthierweights website...........
How long will the band last?
The short answer is that we really don’t know. The first band was implanted in 1993 and so our experience is limited to the 15 years or so which have elapsed since then. However, silicone has been used in the manufacture of medical devices for many years and there is no evidence to suggest that it carries any long-term risks. Whether the band structure will remain intact in the very long-term (30+ years) remains to be seen, but as yet there is no reason to think that it will not.

Ahh well thats good news :)

I'll ask my friend where she heard that, but I think it was from her surgeon, and she was done via NHS.

I asked the question a bit back when I was weighing up my options on here, here's the link

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/98584-band-life.html

xxx

Yep what Kate said is spot on, they havent been around long enough to determine the average life span.

If mine last 15 to 20 years I will be happy, if it lasts longer because things have come such a long way since 1993 I will be even more happy !

Maz x

yeah definitely thanks to modern technology its fantastic isnt it!!

Back