• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lightheaded - any long termer

Jamast

I am 20 months on from my op. In the past few weeks I have been getting this really odd sensation. It's similar to light-headedness, but not quite that. Its more a feeling of being 'spaced-out' as though I am slightly out-of-sync with everything else. At first I thought it was caffeine, so I cut out the last miniscule bit of caffeine that I have. It still happened.
Then I tried drinking more, thinking it could be dehydration - no difference.
Its not lack of food either as it happens regardless of how much or how little I eat.
I can go two or three days without it happening but once it starts it seems to last all day on and off. It happened this morning when I was sat in bed. I've just walked the dog and it started again - that was around an hour ago and I still feel odd. Occasionally I get palpitations with it - but not very often.
Also, looking for some advice here, it's no good telling me to visit my GP as they're useless -they just shrug their shoulders and say they don't know what it is.

Jamast

Get your iron levels checked. I was like this and I was iron deficient.

Thank You Paula.

At my last bariatric appt, the nurse recommended an iron transfusion as my levels were so low - that was back in June. Then they decided that due to the cost to them I should just double my iron tablets until I see them again in February. I'm still covered in bruises, still shattered most of the time, I get blood blisters and/or ulcers in my mouth regularly. My problem is that my team just say see my GP - and the GP just says oh it'll be fine.
I'm off to see her and if necessary - have a flipping argument tomorrow.

Jamast

Ask to see another GP instead, good luck

I've tried this in our surgery - one GP wont make a move unless they run it by our own GP's - hence its taken from mid September until December 22nd before I get to see orthopedic person regarding a torn knee ligament. On an unrelated injury, It took from having an xray on December 5th 2014 until May 2015 to actually get to see my GP to discuss the results.

I have found the only other GP surgery in our town they're too full at the moment to take new patients on, but to be honest I've lost that much faith in the system that I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle of changing even if they'd have me.

NorthamptonGirl

Yep, I get this a lot. I've been wondering if it could be blood sugars? I brought a home testing kit and they are quite low. I'll be interested to see what people say to this thread...

Kar8858

Yes sounds like iron and folic acid. The palpitations are not a good sign. Get back to the gp for a full blood test, I was thanking 400mg of prescribed iron for 6 months and felt so much better. I am now off those but every day takes loads of vitamins and supplements including folic acid, iron, centrum woman, vit c. Go get stocked up and get taking them..the lack of iron and folic acid reduce the oxygen in your blood hence being spaced out and getting palpitations. It's nothing that can't be sorted out if it is this..but get back there! Pass out in reception if needed that will get a response!! In the meantime get those supplements bought..you don't have to spend a fortune..all supermarkets have them. Take care but don't panic x

Kimberly

I would go back to the GP and get blood done . Have you got a blood pressure machine ? Their not expensive or could you borrow from some one , you can check your BP . Both arms then standing and sitting . Keep the reading and then show your GP . They must take palpitations seriously . Trust me I'm recovering from heart surgery . Get them to do your bloods again .

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
What daily supplements are you on? Mine are:

2 x vitD (25 units)
2 x Pregaday
2 x Sanatogen A-Z Complete
2 x Calcichew D3 Forte

X

Jamast

What daily supplements are you on? Mine are:

2 x vitD (25 units)
2 x Pregaday
2 x Sanatogen A-Z Complete
2 x Calcichew D3 Forte

X

I take :
1xcentrum woman
1x folic acid
1x iron
1x vit c
1x multi vitamin
1x chewable multi vit

I am currently taking double the recommended supplements for post bypass, as well as some suggestions from gp. So these are;

A-Z complete. 4 tablets a day
Iron -4 a day
Iron & vitC combined - 2 a day
Hair, skin and nail -2 a day
Calcium and vitamin d supplement Adcal - 3 times a day.
Slow release b12 tablet - 2 a day

Vitamin b12 injections every 8 weeks

On top of these I take 100mcg levothyroxine - 1 a day
Serotide steroid inhaler 250mg 2 a day

Llora

I am like that most of the days! Dizzy, light headed and sometimes really feeling out if space... I am 15months post op

Debgenest

I am almost three years postop from gastric bypass and I started having the same symptoms a few months ago at work. It actually was my iron levels which were too low.