• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver shrinkage

cherry

O my god i have just read a thread and on it says that if your liver hasnt shrunk enough they dont do the op... :eek: i did not realise this.... maybe all this will be said on my third appointment... does this stand for the lapband to?? there s so many things hey that keep coming up its not as straight foreward as i thought... xx

yes kelly this stands for banders also you will be put on a10 day milk diet before your op as the liver needs to be small enough to move to get the band in, they will not go ahead if the liver is fatty x

ooo holy sh*t hmmm, god can you imagine waking up from surgery and it hasnt been done :-(( that would be terrible xx

Yes I can Kelly and i am worried!:wave_cry:

That's what you have to think every day you're on the pre-op diet. Cheat and you could be looking at being put under and come round with nothing done.

I was told that if this happens in my PCT that you have to lose 5 stones yourself before they'll even consider you again.

My liver hadn't shrunk enough for Dr Ackroyd to do the bypass, that's why I ended up with the sleeve. I was just too fatty round the area of the liver as well.

ooo holy sh*t hmmm, god can you imagine waking up from surgery and it hasnt been done :-(( that would be terrible xx

yep it happens, they can tell instantly if the pre op diet hasnt been followed by the size of the liver, this is why its very important to follow the rules x

o well i would follow it religousy i wouldnt want to wake after a ga to be told nope... you ve not got it... if your liver is fatty and you ve stuck to the pre op will it defo be ok for surgery? o dero!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was asked to follow a zero fat (well almost as you need a tiny amount), I was not allowed meat or fish or any dairy apart from skimmed milk. I could eat normal food but it was limited in choice but not quantity.

I survived for 3 weeks on marshmallows and meringues!

I lost 11lbs and apparently liver was like a prune...LOL

Stick to the rules your provider gives you and you should be okay. They will only not do the operation if there is a serious risk to your health.

Oh God Mixman has scared me to death now!

I am having my bypass on Monday, I am not sure if it is because i am having my op private, but the pre op diet is recommended to be started 10-14 days before surgery. Some people have been on it months. I have stuck to it religiously, it is very strict and have lost 5lb, but blipped yesterday and gave in to a sandwich.
Dr Ackroyd is peforming my op too, I just hope my sandwich doesnt give me away and ruin everything. I wont be able to sleep tonight!:break_diet:

I know that this might sound like a right der question, but what is it exactly that makes the liver fatty?
The pre op diet i am on is basically no carbs and no fat.

Mixman,
was your liver fatty despite sticking to the pre op diet?

just by being over weight makes your liver fatty its no particular food apart from all the foods that have made us this way ie crisps, choc, takeaways, all the 'bad' food will make your liver fatty its basically something that would have happend over a few years.... but the liver is very good and rehealing itself so if your sticking to your pre op diet then id say your ok... even if you ve had one sneaky sandwich......if thats the only time you ve done it.....mind...

mixman a few years ago i suffered with a fatty liver... but for at least 5 years ive had no probs... at the mo im on my weight loss target form hopsital to get the surgery once ive met that will they tell me then to do my pre op diet...??

My first band attempt didnt go to plan due to my Liver. Not my fault tho as the hospital did admit it was their fault due to not giving me enough notice as it was a cancellation date. Was told in recovery and discharged from there. Was totally gutted that it hadnt been done. I just "knew" it hadnt been put in.

My 2nd attempt 3 weeks later went fine as went on a very low fat diet straight after surgery, and then on to the soup and yoghurt pre-op, The op went fine and my liver was nice and small :eek:)

Hi Kelly
yes its the only time i have blipped, but its scared me into not doing it again! I am more scared of my liver not being small enough, than the operation itself!!

o god right..... can someone tell me please a rough guide so i can shrink my liver..... just incase.... just to give me a head start before the pre op diet... tell me yes foods and no foods :)) if you dont mind guys.....xxx

i was on:

4 x muller light yoghurts

4 soups a day

:eek:)

( i cant bare the smell of soups now)

i have a feeling they will open me up and see my liver hasnt shrunk enough . im on a low carb diet .. i seem to be able to eat a lot of things like meat cheese eggs veg friut yogurts the odd slice of nimble .... as when i done the milk diet it made me sick and gave me bad stomach cramps .. so knowing my luck it wont get done ...lol

I could cope on 4 muller lights and 4 soups a day, but the one i am on at the moment is horrible, i cant even eat half of it, so am so hungry most of the time, i think that is the reason i gave in to the sandwich!
Kelly when you said you had problems with a fatty liver previously, in what way did it show itself, what symptoms did you have?
I am lucky in a way, despite being big, that i dont have any problems whatsoever healthwise and never have.
Mona
xxx

i had hurrendous itching n high liver function... touch wood its been clear for last 5 years n i actually had a scan that said it was normal size so here s hoping it still is........ i think i might start slim fast for coupl e weeks to give me a boost and just have a weight watchers meal at night............ hmmm so far im healthy minus being over weight obviously xx

Back