• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver shrinkage

Lisav

I've read a few posts on here about how people have had failed ops due to their liver not shrinking enough etc, but I was wondering how it is they tell if it has shrunk enough - is it not until they open you up (or go in laparascopically) that they can tell, or is it by blood test at the pre-op appointment. I'm terrified mine wont have shrunk enough! I am on a pre-op diet now and I've lost eight pounds since last week. I dont plan to stray from the diet at all, but I'm a real worrier! Can anyone confirm what happens please?

Its not until they open u up that they would be able to tell. xxx Just stick to the rules and you be fine xx

hi,
I went for a bypass in feb 12
they did have to open me to find out
my liver was too big
i stuck to the diet n lost a stone,
i'm going for band next week as i cant afford a bypass now
it cost me £1000 to be opened and shut!!!!
so finger crossed it will be ok this time,
try not to worry, just do all they have told you to do,
good luck :) xx

It is a worry, I agree but follow the pre-op diet and you will be fine. Not a high instance of refusals because of the liver being too large to be safe to continue. It isnt until you go under that the surgeons can be sure as they have to move the liver out of the way tp proceed with the op. We all worry and its quite normal to as its a serious under taking. Good luck and keep to the diet. LOL

Lisa,

Dont worry hun....I didnt stray from the pre op diet, and mine was fine - I asked them afterwards lol - 'was my liver small enough for you' and the surgeon laughed and said 'yes'.

It shrinks cos its not full of glycogens which makes it heavy and stiff.think of a sponge holding cooking oil!Thats what kept me on the straight and narrow!Bariatric surgeons love floppy livers!

Hi

I only had to do the milk diet for seven days before my surgery and it all went well, if you stick to the diet for the recommended time you will be fine. The length of time you need to be on the died varies depending on your BMI, mine was 40 so I only needed 7 days, the larger you go the longer you need to be on the diet, with 14 days being average.

Like I said don't cheat and you will be fine.

Paul

I was on pre-op diet for 2 weeks prior and the first thing my surgeon said when I came round was "Your liver looked great". So I am sure you will be fine.

Not to put a dampener on it,
but the liver is not always alright for surgery,
mine wasn't and i didnt cheat on the pre op, :) xx

Some livers can be damaged and some can be too fatty despite the milk diet. You never know till its time to have a little look on op day.

Hi hunni it all depends how your liver is I'n your body i was to have a bypass but was told b4 the op if bypass can not be done then u will get a sleeve or balloon pre op diet very hard i done ww soups but if i felt hungry i eat protein like salmon chicken i done this for 12 dayZ felt very emotional but now op been done on great form x

Back