• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver shrinkage???

rudders

Is the liver supposed to shrink to less than "normal" or is it assumed obese people have enlarged ones and need to shrink to "normal"?

My op (18th march) was postponed due to pancreatitis caused by a wandering gallstone. I had to have an ultrasound and the report said "normal sized liver". I had been on the liver shrinkage diet for 9 days prior to the attack.
So had I done ok or should it have been a "small liver"?

Is the liver supposed to shrink to less than "normal" or is it assumed obese people have enlarged ones and need to shrink to "normal"?

My op (18th march) was postponed due to pancreatitis caused by a wandering gallstone. I had to have an ultrasound and the report said "normal sized liver". I had been on the liver shrinkage diet for 9 days prior to the attack.
So had I done ok or should it have been a "small liver"?

Hiya,
one of the reasons for the preop diet is to shrink the liver. unfortunately one of the side effects of obesity is "fatty liver" which enlarges the liver & can make wls difficult as it blocks the surgeons access. So it's blooming fantastic that your liver is normal on the scan, your surgeon will be v chuffed with you :)
Hope you get your new op date soon xx

I very much doubt they'd want anyone to have a smaller than normal sized liver. They just want to be able to move the liver aside to get at the stomach area, so the more 'normal' it is, the less they struggle with it.

Excess fat is stored in the liver before it is deposited over the body. They need safe access so in order to get under the liver safely it needs to be a normal size. Good luck for your op.

The reason that you are asked to shrink your liver with the diet is because your liver sits ontop of you stomach. If it is large and fatty they have a hard time moving it over to the side to work on your stomach. The best person to ask, would be your doctor.

I was so scared to stray from my diet.I was told that my surgeon opened up a lady, saw she did nothing, ate whatever she wanted. He closed her up and sent her home. If she could handle 2 weeks of a diet how was she going to handle the life changes she would have to make post-op.

The reason that you are asked to shrink your liver with the diet is because your liver sits ontop of you stomach. If it is large and fatty they have a hard time moving it over to the side to work on your stomach. The best person to ask, would be your doctor.

I was so scared to stray from my diet.I was told that my surgeon opened up a lady, saw she did nothing, ate whatever she wanted. He closed her up and sent her home. If she could handle 2 weeks of a diet how was she going to handle the life changes she would have to make post-op.

I would be so scared if that happened - my surgery is in 3 weeks. Diet starts next week. I think it's good for the reason that you start changing your diet before the op!

I know mine is fatty from a scan I had years ago - I'm just worried is 2 weeks enough?

I had a fatty liver on USS scan once so pre-band I did 19 days pre -op though I was only asked to do a week. I lost 11kgs and my liver was 'perfect' on op day my surgeon said. Stick to your pre-op Nicnac and you'll be fine!!

Thanks joisthinner - for once I'm excited about starting a diet lol

I did have a fatty liver (not too big) and was given only 1 week of milk diet. My surgeon was very happy with my small liver and sleeved me in less than an hour!

i did 3 weeks pre op diet to make sure that my liver went smaller good luck

Back