• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver shrinkage how much weight?

Jrichard

Hi everyone,

Does anyone no how much weight loss is needed pre op to shrink the liver enough? I have lost 12 pounds but am worried that it won't be small enough and to make make matters worse I had carbs!:cry:

Cheers Julie

There is no science or measurement to it,If you have done as you were asked you should be ok.I only had a week preop so only lost 9lb.But then I wasnt that heavy to begin with.

I only lost about 7lb its not about how much weight u loose its about shrinking the liver xx

I wasn't given a pre-op diet, just told to lose 5kg between my clinic Appt and the op (approx. 12 weeks). I didn't quite lose that amount, but luckily, my liver was fine.

wow sounds scary and interesting at the same time. can't wait to start on the this diet. xx
Don't be in any hurry hun, believe me x

No really don't......if you take no other advice from this wonderful forum please take this.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES START THE PRE OP DIET TILL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO BY YOUR TEAM..

Seriously don't start before u have to. My surgeon told me to start it on 9th may and I have to be on it till august (no date yet) but it is soooo hard!

Yeah I know they wanted me to lose 2 1/2 stone before op but have lost 2.3 in the month since I started! I am on the low carb one and am finding it hard but determined not to cheat, it's just so hard and finding it hard to vary what I eat.

Zoe x

Whatever you do peachie don't let yourself have even one carb treat cos I tell ya it's a toad getting back into it. It's all about getting inventive with what you are allowed to eat.

Well, i'm not on the pre-op milk diet but am 4 weeks and 6 days into a, pre pre-op milk diet and I have lost 1.4stone in that time, back to Luton on Friday to see what they say...watch this space...

I was to lose 4/5lb for my op with 5 incisions or 7lb for 2 incisions I'm on the slimfast but constantly hungry :/ got op date of 23rd of this month private xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Why is there such a difference in time for the pre-op diet... is it to do with your starting weight or other health issues or just down to the surgeon?

Both Sarah, each area is different, but I know as I am heavier and hold fat around my organs, I will have to do the milk diet for two weeks, but I know of people who only had to do one week under Mr Finlay, he decides when he meets you.

Back