• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver

toll

Getting a bit worried because I was a previous heavy drinker and not sure what state my liver would be in. The reason this worries me is because we have to shrink the liver before op and I don't know if my liver is enlarged from damage previously? Haven't thought of this before now and I'm a week into my milk diet, getting a bit panicky! Anyone had similar experience?

I think it should be fine. From what I know less fat on your liver will only make it better. The idea is to shrink it so that the surgeon has more access to stomach. I am afraid that large people, are more likely to have enlarge or fatty livers.

Please bear in mind if you are with the NHS the would do a battery of tests and that would flag any problems with your vital organs and liver.

Good luck with your preop diet and well done on your progress!

Bad diets or drinking can affect the liver,however you only have to change your diet or stop drinking for the liver to start repairing itself provided it is not too far gone!

I got the news after my by-pass on Aug. 28, 2012. That I have what they call non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. The doc is saying the operation probably saved my life. When I went in for my one week check up, it was not about my weight but about my liver. He says there is damage beyond repair. My job is to work at reducing the work of the liver that is still alive so it can reconstruct itself. Does anyone know what all this means?

I think it means the bits that aren't damaged need to be as healthy as possible. The liver regenerates, and so be eating a healthy balanced diet, not drinking alchohol and loosing weight, you will be giving your liver the best possible chance. From what I understand the alchohol is the biggest no, as in no more.

Back