• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver shrinking

I am on my pre op diet and it is going well. But I am wondering about something. Does anyone know if once you are in ketosis that means your liver is shrunk? Or can it still shrink more?

Hope someone knows a bit more about this than me and can help.

Thanks in advance!
x

Short answer - yes it does :D

Once glycogen stores are depleted in the liver your body starts to produce ketones which the body uses for energy instead.

Ketosis is a metabolic state where the body produces 'ketones' (aka ketone bodies) through a process called ketogenesis. Basically, it is when the glycogen stores in the liver are depleted and the body turns to β-oxidation of fatty acids (fat stores) to convert to a usable energy form; 3 ketones are produced in the liver; 1 is exhaled (acetone...gives the breath a 'sweet smell'), the other 2 (acetoacetate & D-β-hydroxybutyrate) are transferred to tissues where they enter the TCA cycle to make ATP (basically energy). Once you are in ketogenesis, your liver shrinks & as long as no carbs go in = no glycogen. Once the liver is fully depleted of glycogen, it won't shrink anymore.

so how do you know when you are in ketosis sorry i must be dumb too !!! lol

No, your not! I didn't actually say because no-one had asked that bit!!! You can buy strips that you dip in your urine to test for the production of ketones, but they can be notoriously unreliable for many reasons that I won't go into. Typically, if one is following a true zero-carb diet, it can take around 3 - 5 days to enter ketogenesis.

but our diet are low carb so surely we wouldnt enter that would we ........???
omg me brains trying to catch up !!!! lol

It depends on exactly how low the low-carb diet was....but yes, if you follow a strict low-carb diet pre-op, you will use all the glycogen stores in your liver & your body switches to ketogenesis (instead of glycolysis) as a way of providing energy for your body...helps to use fat stores but more importantly, shrinks the liver so the op is safer basically

Quick question

If I am taking Metformin for recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes, will I still be ok on my liver shrink diet? or will I need to stop the Metformin? I am currently dieting on a low carb basis and doing ok :) I go in for bypass surgery on 22 July and need to start the liver shrinkage 2 weeks before that,

any advice welcome thanks

sorry david i cant help you there as i am not diabetic, but i wanted to wish you luck with your op i am just before you. i would think if you had the low carb diet you would be ok thoughx

Quick question

If I am taking Metformin for recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes, will I still be ok on my liver shrink diet? or will I need to stop the Metformin? I am currently dieting on a low carb basis and doing ok :) I go in for bypass surgery on 22 July and need to start the liver shrinkage 2 weeks before that,

any advice welcome thanks

I stopped taking my Metformin whilst on the pre-op diet on the advice of my GP. It would depend on a) the dose of Metformin you're taking and b) your blood glucose levels. Are they fairly well under control? If in doubt speak to either your GP or the team looking after you.

Good luck with the op :)

David, I was on Metformin as well as 4 insulin injections pre-op. It is very important to monitor your blood sugars during the pre-op as you don't want to suffer hypos. I was taking BS readings before and 2 hours after each meal. I had to reduce my insulin quite drastically during my pre-op diet. Please get advice from your GP and/or WLS team.

BTW, I'm 7.5 months post-op and I have now stopped all insulin injections and Metformin dose halved, they are keeping me on it for the moment as my fasting BS is not perfect yet.
HTH.

sorry david i cant help you there as i am not diabetic, but i wanted to wish you luck with your op i am just before you. i would think if you had the low carb diet you would be ok thoughx
Thanks Tracey, good luck with your op to :)

I stopped taking my Metformin whilst on the pre-op diet on the advice of my GP. It would depend on a) the dose of Metformin you're taking and b) your blood glucose levels. Are they fairly well under control? If in doubt speak to either your GP or the team looking after you.

Good luck with the op
Thanks Twiggie, I have a double appointment this Friday one with my GP the other with the Diabetic Nurse, I think my glucose levels are quite good, they said I was borderline Diabetic when Diagnosed (Whatever that means lol) and I've lost a bit of weight since then on the lead up to the bypass, I have been very rigid this week on ultra low carb and fat intake and haven't felt any ill effects, I was just worried that the metformin could somehow interfere with my Liver shrinking, anyway thanks again for your advice :)

David, I was on Metformin as well as 4 insulin injections pre-op. It is very important to monitor your blood sugars during the pre-op as you don't want to suffer hypos. I was taking BS readings before and 2 hours after each meal. I had to reduce my insulin quite drastically during my pre-op diet. Please get advice from your GP and/or WLS team.

BTW, I'm 7.5 months post-op and I have now stopped all insulin injections and Metformin dose halved, they are keeping me on it for the moment as my fasting BS is not perfect yet.
HTH.
Thats great news Glenville, thats exactly what I'm hoping for to, as I said above I think my Diabetes is pretty mild compared to some but you never can tell, It's encouraging how things have turned out for you, Many thanks for your advice :)

Thanks all, I did write a reply the other day and it said awaiting a mod to clear it ?

Anyway went to the GP and Diabetic nurse today, all is well they both told me it was ok to carry on with the metformin right upto the day before surgery, I've been on a "Trial week" on the liver shrink and not felt bad at all, just got to wait for the 22nd now with baited breath lol

btw nice to hear your Diabetes has responded well Glenville

Thanks again everyone

Back