• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long haul flights and the gastric band

Kazcita

Hey all

I read something in the guidelines that The Hospital Group gave me re: the band that it can sometimes tighten on flights longer than four hours. Well, my boyfriend and I are lucky enough to be going to San Francisco to stay with friends over Christmas and the flight is a hateful 11 hours long. I asked my co-ordinator about this but she said not to worry as it was too far in the future or something. But I am worried. Has anyone any experience of this?

While I'm hear, THG's guidelines also recommend against drinking fizzy drinks after getting the band in. I'm not a big alcoholic drinker these days but when I do take a drink I prefer beer, and as far as non-alcohol goes I prefer sparkling water and Coke (though it is Coke Zero to avoid the calories!). Is it really as bad as they say it is to take fizzy stuff or will I just have to cut it out and grin and bear it?

My op is on Monday. Nervous but excited!

Take care

Kaz xo

Hi Kaz, not sure on the answers to your questions but wanted to say hi. I am sure someone will be along real soon with the answers. With the pop/fizzy drinks I think its just for an initial period of time. As you are going away at christmas I dont think that is too far ahead so would start finding out the answer, I am sure I read on here somewhere that they empty the band and you refill on your return but I will be corrected if I am wrong...good luck and dont worry...xx

Hey all

I read something in the guidelines that The Hospital Group gave me re: the band that it can sometimes tighten on flights longer than four hours. Well, my boyfriend and I are lucky enough to be going to San Francisco to stay with friends over Christmas and the flight is a hateful 11 hours long. I asked my co-ordinator about this but she said not to worry as it was too far in the future or something. But I am worried. Has anyone any experience of this?

While I'm hear, THG's guidelines also recommend against drinking fizzy drinks after getting the band in. I'm not a big alcoholic drinker these days but when I do take a drink I prefer beer, and as far as non-alcohol goes I prefer sparkling water and Coke (though it is Coke Zero to avoid the calories!). Is it really as bad as they say it is to take fizzy stuff or will I just have to cut it out and grin and bear it?

My op is on Monday. Nervous but excited!

Take care

Kaz xo
Hi Kaz, I`ve heard different things about the longhaul flights so when I had my consultation last Sun ( 19th ) I asked Dr Paul Super about it as I go to Mexico in Aug and thats about 10 hrs. He said if u have the correct restriction to start with ( eg - not tight ) then an aspiration shouldn`t b neccessary u just have to b careful what u eat & drink when in the air as the band will tighten slightly. I also asked about fizzy alcohol as i drink wine & soda. he said the reason they say avoid fizzy drinks is that with coke etc we tend to glug it down which causes a lot of painful wind. if the fizzy alcohol is sipped this is fine. Hope this helps!!!:party0027:

I can't help with the flights but my surgeon said diet coke was fine as long as you let the fizz die down, ie pour it into a glass and leave it a while.

I have been taking fizzy painkillers with no trouble.

So I hope this info helps.;)

hi
i had my band at dolan and i was told i was fine with my flight as i am only flying to tenerife 4hours..they did say to me though i would need a aspiration (fluid removal) if went on a flight for longer than 4hours due to the pressure.. ask your consultant hun.
as for fizzy drinks i was gutted as i WAS a dietcoke addict and cant drink it due to the gas and in the long run it can erode the band so i havent drunk it since lol.
takecare emma

Hiya Kaz, how you doing today?

Re the flights I asked my consultant and she said you are fine to go on long haul flights as long as you dont have a fill at least a month before. She said alot of people were waiting to have a fill just before hols and its dangerous so she just said if your going away make sure you have a fill a month before hand.

As for the coke etc... I asked Dr Sigurdsson and he said its because the bigger lower part of your stomach fills up with gas!! But then Ive also heard it erodes the band. He did say you can wait for it to go flat!! MMM nice.... NOT.

To be honest i think we all get told so many different things by different Drs and consultants its hard to know the truth, until it happens.

Catch you later, just going to make my bovril mmmmmmm.

Dee x

Hi there, I have not had any fizzy drink since my banding, it can erode the band I am told and the wind pain is said to be baaaaddddd. I asked my consultant about flying and was told it was fine, no need for an aspiration, just to be sensible and careful with eating and drinking in flight as the pressure change may affect the band slightly.

I was told as long as your at the correct restriction that flying is fine but it will tighten slightly and not to have a fill four weeks before a long haul flight

and re pop i used to be a real coke zero fan.i have had a few mouthfuls of fizzy stuff over the last week and find its the only thing that gives me a little pain .and was told by Dr sigurdsdon that it was because the stomach fills with gas so can cause painful wind but i think a little with a spirit will be fine lol

hi.i go to canada every year 3 flights to get to my brothers house, so like you i was keen to know about long haul flying.
dr sigurdsson said that i should cut down to just liquids before my flight, have very little to eat on flight, it would be ok.
he says alot of people like to have the fluid removed from there band before a holiday so they can eat more while away. and then have a refilling after returning. i guess it makes ur holiday more expensive. but think of the fun you would have eating. naughty naughty cheryl. but hell a holiday is a holiday from everything !!!

Hi girls

Thanks so much for all your replies which are very helpful. Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Re: flights, I had thought about waiting until January before getting my first fill but maybe that is a bit extreme. I will ask Dr S for his advice, though I'm sure he'll tell me what he told Cheryl - if so that is fine by me as it will save me waiting to get my first fill. On the other hand you have a point about wanting to eat while away - and we ARE going for Christmas..! Naughty indeed, but...Well, we'll see.

Thanks Shel for the link to the other thread - I had forgotten about travel insurance as we booked ours months ago for the entire year. Might have to fork out a few extra quid but better safe than sorry.

Anyway I will double check with Dr S and the nurses when I see them next week, but in the meantime thanks very much! Good to hear from you all :)

Still managing the crappy milk diet without as much difficulty as I expected. But it will still be divine when I am able to eat even mushy stuff again!

Thanks again everyone.

Take care x

Back