• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

loosers bench... 1st month???

fatbutnot4long

hi all i was wondering if some of you who have had a bypass would mind telling me how much you weighed before the op (in stones) and how much u lost in the first month please. im not sure if im doing ok or eating to much! i weighed 20 stone the day of my op and its been 3 weeks and im not 18.6?? should i have lost more? i think im eating to much! thanks in advance for all your help xx

thanks for the reply im worried im eating too much! i keep thinking im going to be the only person this wont work for. well done on ur loss thats amazing :) x

i get weighed on saturdays mine was
pre op 1 stone 4
weeks one 1 stone
week 2 5 lb
week 3 3lb
get weighed again sat...

i dont feel like ive lost this week thou :( x

before my pre op i was 21.4 i forgot to include that :) xx

Hello hun, well done so far!

1st question, how much lost in first month:

I weighed very close to your weight and am near your height, I lost about 3 stone including my pre-op & my 1st 4 weeks post-op. There really is no set standard and even though this question is asked frequently, there is no set answer as all people are different. A member on this forum who is 7 months post op had a 3 week stall of no weight loss in her first 2 months, she was convinced that her surgery had not worked even though she was eating right. She has now lost over 7 stone in 7 months so obviously for her it was a bumpy few months but weight came off. You may be the type that loses big, then nothing and repeat that cycle for months or you could be like me, have a big pre-op loss and then average 2-3 pounds per week for the first 9 months. It is unpredictable and setting expectations based on other's losses is just looking for trouble. Your weight will fall off in the pattern it wants to and you just have to eat well and listen to your body. It is a journey this weightloss surgery and is marked by more than just pounds lost per week! Try to sit back and enjoy the ride.

2nd question, am I eating too much?

I think everyone thinks this at some point early days but while on liquids or purees you really can't eat too much. It is just not possible, you would be in pain and uncomfortable all the time and well you still couldn't eat too much. It might help you to look at rather what you are eating instead of how much. You should be getting a diet high in protein (80g/day) and low in carbs, are you doing that? Are you eating 2 bites protein to one bite carb? Are you using complex carbs (whole grains, fruit, brown rice, whole wheat pasta) instead of loading up on simple carbs (white potatoes, white rice, white bread)? Just do your best to drink plenty of fluid, eat lots of protein-rich foods and avoid having simple carbs more than once per day.

Hope that helps,
Nic;)

I think comparing the weightloss of a man to that of a woman is also missleading. We tend to have fat distributed in different places. Blokes tend to have the fat around their internal organs and ladies have it closer to the skin and in different places. So, it is bound to come off at different rates. Ladies also have the hormone roller-coaster to contend with, whereas blokes just suffer as a consequence of it. :D

xx

lol john! that made me chukkle! to be honest nic im only eating cheese and a few bread stick! everything else and i seem to be sick although .. it is getting better! was really bad to start with! there have been a few times ive been in pain and im unsure if im eating too fast or too much!? i never realised how little i listened to my body before and now im finding it really hard.. i hope it will get easier! i also need to start planning my meals i dont seem to be good at that.. think thats where im depending in the cheese! ill try harder but thanks for the replys! ive read alot of your posts nic and find you a hugeeee help. thank you xx

Hi Kirsty,

Though I lost well on the pre op diet 21lb. In the 4 weeks post op I lost about 11lb and have continued to lose slowly each week.

I worry I'm eating to much also, so was suprised to have lost about 3kg (about 7lb) when I weighed myself Tuesday.

Pinkyx

I too worry about my weight loss but it is coming off slowly but surely. I weight 16st 4lb pre-op and now weigh 13st 6. Its been 2 months since my op and that probably isn't as much as others have been losing. I losing about 2lbs per week now.

Good luck in your journey, your weight losses sound good to me.

I started off at 17 stone 7 pounds and now (5 weeks post op) I weigh 15 stone 2 pounds. I lost 10 pounds on the pre-op milk diet. I am not hungry at the moment and not dumped although I have had a few 'sicky' incidents.

Hi - I also thought "I will be the only one it will not work for..." lol!!

I started the pre-op diet at 19st2 - lost 10lbs on pre-op (18st 4) and am now down to 16st10 - 22lbs since surgery on 10th November. I am 5 weeks 2days post op.

I only lost 2lbs last week ( I get weighed on a Monday) but since Monday this week , 4lbs have gone all of a sudden

So as someone has already said, your body will go at its own rate. The most important thing is tokeep your protein and fluid intake up :) and try not to worry - I am beginning to feel like I have no choice but to lose weight now :D

Eating too much? Most days I am eating around 700 cals - But today I have managed nearly 1000 :( not good. But protein up to 60+ grams. Protein also seems to keep me fuller for longer

Hope this helps :)

im only eating cheese and a few bread stick! everything else and i seem to be sick although .. it is getting better!

Hun, I am happy to help if I can. When you say you feel sick everytime you eat, do you mean you feel nauseated or do you actually vomit/heave? There are three likely culprits when someone says they are sick everytime they eat, maybe I have told you this already, I apologize if I have.

1. Eating too quick & swallowing air, try putting your fork or spoon down between bites.
2. Eating too big a bite, must be the size of the rubber eraser on the end of a pencil to start out, try using a teaspoon or a child's spoon that will encourage small bites
3. Not chewing enough even on purees if it has small bits you must chew 20-30 times to ensure you are able to continue eating without sickenss

If none of those things are tripping you up perhaps you should go back a stage for a few days, let your pouch rest and then begin introducing different foods. It is all about trial and error, have patience it will get better, I promise. Also, if you really are eating so little (breadstick & cheese) your weight loss can slow from lack of calories so make sure you are getting 3-5 meals a day in.

You know you can always pm if you need help.
Nic;)

thanks everyone.. i do think sometimes im eating to fast.. but i am sick alot. drinking hurts aswell but i know thats me drinking fast - i drink with a straw to stop me now! lol.. i will put my protein up and see if that helps .. thanks everyone xx

Hi John 1stly your doing fab, and 2nd your thread made me chuckle, but how right you are lol Gail x
I think comparing the weightloss of a man to that of a woman is also missleading. We tend to have fat distributed in different places. Blokes tend to have the fat around their internal organs and ladies have it closer to the skin and in different places. So, it is bound to come off at different rates. Ladies also have the hormone roller-coaster to contend with, whereas blokes just suffer as a consequence of it. :D

xx

Hi I only lost 7lb on my pre-op diet (1 week b4 op) but the day I came out of hospital I got weighed and went back upto 18stone therefore that made it 2lb loss :eek: the following 4 weeks I lost 28lb (2 stone) then its been pretty slow in my early days 1lb 2lb ect. My periods stopped 1 month after my op also so my hormones were all over the place. Then the inevitable happened:D They came back :eek: But that is a good thing cause not only my hormones seem fine, my weight is comming off fast and furious :gimi::bliss::bliss:now so ime a very happy bunny. I weigh just over 12.5 stone at the mo and just 39lb to go for my goal. One thing I did learn was dont EVER compare yourself to others on here because most defo you will be disheartened, just like me!!! I thought there was something wrong with me and at one stage I thought I was a failure. Your doing just dandy at the mo and your losing at a steady pace. Keep up the good work. Kind regards Gail xxQUOTE=fatbutnot4long;2139962]hi all i was wondering if some of you who have had a bypass would mind telling me how much you weighed before the op (in stones) and how much u lost in the first month please. im not sure if im doing ok or eating to much! i weighed 20 stone the day of my op and its been 3 weeks and im not 18.6?? should i have lost more? i think im eating to much! thanks in advance for all your help xx[/QUOTE]

Interesting read this thread, im like you kirsty i dont think im loosing anymore and im finding myself looking at other peoples losses and it certainly does dishearten you!!!

delly x

Hi Kirsty.

Listen to the ones who know.... Nic knows a hell of a lot and is very helpfull to us newbie's!!

I weighed 20st 8lb over 2wk before my bypass.
I lost a stone before the op on the Pre-op diet.
At 6wk post op, i had lost a total of 2st 8lb.
Bang on 19st at my 6wk check-up at the hospital.

Everyone is different!!
Some ppl have lost much more than me in the same amount of time, but i am very happy with my result so-far. I have gone down in clothes sizes, i can notice it myself when i look in the mirror.
It aint a race/competition!

You are doing fantastic - thats all that matters.
I dont weigh myself regular either, as some ppl can get hung up with the scales - i diont own a set of scales, never have!
I weigh myself as and when i go to the m-i-law's.
2wk, 3wk - not bothered!

Keep up the good work - i hope the sickness goes for you too!

xx

Back