• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low blood sugar

thistlegirl

hi
Just looking for some advice - I'm 2yrs post op. I can mostly eat anything - I rarely dump. However over the past month I have noticed a while after eating I am getting shaky and need to eat some food and get my blood sugar back up - I've also been having night sweats.
I'm pretty sure this is related to my op and I had been eating a lot of rubbish over Christmas. However I have been cutting down on the carbs for the past few days and I am still having woosy periods. I had a look and believe it might be a condition called postprandial hypoglycaemia.
Anyone have any experience of this? I will see how the next few days go and maybe see my gp.
Thanks Gillian

hi
Just looking for some advice - I'm 2yrs post op. I can mostly eat anything - I rarely dump. However over the past month I have noticed a while after eating I am getting shaky and need to eat some food and get my blood sugar back up - I've also been having night sweats.
I'm pretty sure this is related to my op and I had been eating a lot of rubbish over Christmas. However I have been cutting down on the carbs for the past few days and I am still having woosy periods. I had a look and believe it might be a condition called postprandial hypoglycaemia.
Anyone have any experience of this? I will see how the next few days go and maybe see my gp.
Thanks Gillian
Yes, best to get it checked out with GP. Don't know how old you are but if old enough could it be menopause/peri menopause?

Thanks Sam - I'm 40 but don't think it is menopause. It really seems linked with my eating. I've ordered a blood glucose meter to check my levels out.

I get reactive hypoglycaemia with my sleeve if I have certain sugary food, because it gets kicked straight into the intestines the body hits it with insulin which drops the sugar level..I get shaky,sweaty and my heart pounds then I fall asleep for two hours and when I wake up I'm fine. It is quite common the vast thing is to avoid sugary food altogether. The worst things for giving you a hypo can be ice cream, jelly type sweets like haribo, sweets generally..anything which is just sugar..ice cream.
I would get a test with the gp as it could be diabetes too, best rule that out, but I avoid hypos by sticking to the protein.
Good luck

Thanks for your reply Kar. I've been trying to avoid carbs. I was looking up the glycaemic index and am trying to choose those with low GI levels. Like granary bread. Luckily I've been ok today.
gx

Yes I check everything for the amount of sugar, some yoghurt can be very high in sugar too you it can catch you out. Good luck with dealing with it, it's a horrible feeling when it happens x

Back