• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight gain, low blood sugar, indigestion and anemia

jegfire

hi
I had my bypass December 2013
I was below target by June 2014
I work in Kgs as they are less emotional and are just a number
at my heaviest I was 160kg and on operation day was 117kg I went down to 70 kg at my lowest and was advised to eat 5 meals a day instead of 3 and although I try very hard to 'behave' its not easy.
I have since steadily put weight on and now seem to plateau at 89kgs which is now classed as overweight again and would like to be 75kg and maintain this weight. I have anemia regularly and get put on iron tablets and then once taken off as back to normal levels soon drops again. The latest development is low blood sugar which caused a seizure and ended up in hospital A&E - waiting scan to see if there is any underlying cause. I was discharged from WLS department after 2 years. I am thinking of giving them a call to see if they can assist me in getting back on track, also re hypo and anemia.
I was taken off lansoprazole after 6 months as not a smoker but have been having recurring pain not unlike the gallstone pain I had two years ago which resulted in gall bladder being removed so know the pain cannot be gallstones and is more likely indigestion.
any advice gratefully received - I did do a pouch reset once which eventually resulted in getting to 81kg but never managed to get any lower.
My partner thinks I am fine the weight I am and is happy for me to stay at this weight. I would still like to lose 15kg
I also went vegan about 4 years ago which if anyone has any advice would help
thanks

Last edited:

Bling Babe

hi
I had my bypass December 2013
I was below target by June 2014
I work in Kgs as they are less emotional and are just a number
at my heaviest I was 160kg and on operation day was 117kg I went down to 70 kg at my lowest and was advised to eat 5 meals a day instead of 3 and although I try very hard to 'behave' its not easy.
I have since steadily put weight on and now seem to plateau at 89kgs which is now classed as overweight again and would like to be 75kg and maintain this weight. I have anemia regularly and get put on iron tablets and then once taken off as back to normal levels soon drops again. The latest development is low blood sugar which caused a seizure and ended up in hospital A&E - waiting scan to see if there is any underlying cause. I was discharged from WLS department after 2 years. I am thinking of giving them a call to see if they can assist me in getting back on track, also re hypo and anemia.
I was taken off lansoprazole after 6 months as not a smoker but have been having recurring pain not unlike the gallstone pain I had two years ago which resulted in gall bladder being removed so know the pain cannot be gallstones and is more likely indigestion.
any advice gratefully received - I did do a pouch reset once which eventually resulted in getting to 81kg but never managed to get any lower.
My partner thinks I am fine the weight I am and is happy for me to stay at this weight. I would still like to lose 15kg
I also went vegan about 4 years ago which if anyone has any advice would help
thanks
I’m so sorry your experiencing these problems, I can’t offer any advice but didn’t want to read and leave....I think you should contact your team if you don’t get any answers from regular nhs regarding your other problems, I do sympathsi with your weight gain frustration, I had bypass in in 2018 and reached my personal target within a year which was actually too low but in my head I had to get there, this year I have gained probably over a stone and I’m desperately trying to lose half of that gain....it so hard.
I wish you luck please keep in touch x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @jegfire sorry to hear you've been suffering with pain and low blood sugar.

Hypoglycemia is a known complication post bypass surgery so for what its worth, my advice would be for you to get re referred to the team who you had the surgery under. Hopefully they'll be able to offer you advice and support you really need.