• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood sugar :(

salski

Hello all - Quick query
About 2 hours after I eat breakfast my blood sugar levels drop so low so quickly I have to munch on anything sugary to raise them. Today was so bad I nearly passed out and had to drink full sugar coke and have a small packet of sugary sweets.
What the hell is this and why now? Its been like this for a few months and seems to be getting worse?! Can anyone help me please?

Are you checking your blood sugar readings? What figure does it give. Are you taking anti-diabetic medications? Low blood sugar can happen especially if you have not had much to eat and if you are exercising or being exceptionally busy.

I have never had diabetes so never had meds to check or blood sugar levels. God knows what is going on - but it scares me as I dont have anything in the house sugary so I have to go to shop and if Im alone Im so weak walking its awful.

Until you get this sorted I would recommend you get some glucose tablets from the chemist. Diabetics use them for the same reason. Are you having a high/low GI breakfast? A low GI one would release the sugars slowly giving you more control.

I hope you get it sorted soon, probably best to have a word with your GP. xx

Could you phone your bariatric nurse or surgeon, or NHS Direct, and at least it will give you some idea. Do you feel better once you have had something sugary? You need to find out if it is low blood sugar as it can be remedied by speaking to your dietician. Basically what I am saying is speak to someone by phone this afternoon if you can. Also let us know how all this progresses.

Agree with comments above - best to speak to a medic asap -Sending hugs - this must feel awful for you - hope you get it sorted soon:sigh:

this happens to me quite often, usualy when i have had something quite sugary about 30 mins - 2 hours before.

I agree, it is very scary, and i find i need something sugary to make me feel normal again, like fruit juice.
I think its due to raising my blood suger so rapidly with something sweet (like when i have some choclate or something else i should stay away from) that it just bottoms out once its passed through y system, which it does more quickly now.

Im seeing my dr next week, and ill quiz her, we already spoke over the phone as it happened and i was so scared i wanted reasurance i wasnt gunna have a heart attack! lol but she eased my mind that i was okay and not about to pop my cloggs lol

what are you eating prior to it happening?
.x.

you have Hypoglycemia, welcome to the club.

This has nothing to do with dumping and isn't caused by something you eat, this happens because your blood sugar levels dip at certain times of the day, i suffer this if i eat breakfast late and after i exercise if i dont eat !

By all means go see your consultant/GP but there isn't much they can do about it, i'm told it does get better in time, but mine hasn't and i'm now nearly 2 years post op.

I carry sugary sweets around with me now, and try to stick to regular meals through the day around the same times, i also ensure i eat post my daily work out.

Hello all - and thank you very much for your comments and ideas and replies.
Prior to this happening, I think I have carbs. Yesterday I had toast for breakfast and it happened, and for lunch I had carbs along with protein and it happened again.
Hypoglycaemia....makes sense. So long as I know Im OK and not going to die - its cool and I am going to make a concerted effort to have no carbs and see how I get on! I dont want this on my wedding day as Im sooooo tired after! LOL
Thank you again for all your help x

I had an appointment at my doctors yesterday and during the day i felt awful. a bit like i had the flu. weak, tired, aching etc anyway i felt myself falling asleep and the next thing ime in the doctors drinking water with sugar in it basically ide passed out, he did a blood sugar check and it was 4.1 which apparantly is low and said that was the reason, i went home and went to bed feeling terrible i was sweating, freezing cold, aching and very weak it wasnt a great feeling, but over the last 3/4 weeks ive felt very lethargic and tired esp during the gym but the dietician has been worried and warned me of this has i only have about 600 cals a day which according to my doctor and dietician is dangerous esp while training but ime losing weight every week and thought until now i was ok though obviously ime not so i will have to do something about it, my doctor wants me to have sugary stuff and raise my calories to 1250 min a day which i dont want to do i'me back at Salford Royal tomorrow for my checks so will ask them for advice, ive not gone into work today has i feel very weak and will just chill out for the day.

I saw a dietician today and described what had happened to her, how i had been up a while, eaten half a bun thing at starbucks and a coffee, nothing else, then about an hour later, bam! she said it sounded like a hypoglycimic (sp?!) attack, and it was prob due to not having very much to eat.

i explained how it felt like dumping, but i was hungry and more faint... and when i dump the last thing i want to do it eat, yet when that happened i knew i needed to!

isnt the body odd!!!

.x.

irj, generly speaking hypoglycemia is an annoyance and not that bad, but it can actually lead to seizures, coma, and death if not looked after! sounds like youve got it bad lovely, and need to give yourself a bit of tlc.

i have to say i think your cals are a bit low for how far out ya are, but doubling them straight away will seem like a chore! try and up them a little at a time, maybe 100-200 cals every few days or week, even just by having milk, or another yogurt, or a slice of toast :)
Seeds, nuts, etc etc

i hope you start to feel better soon!

Sal - i bet your so excited, i get married in 3 weeks and cant wait!!! many congrats! Jut make sure you have someone with some fruit juice tucked away near by on the day incase you start to feel iffy!

.x.

reading all your posts, I feel I suffer this mildly - and I get around it by making sure I have fresh orange juice watered down - it helps in so many ways and has been great for me :)

IRJ - 600 is very low especially if you are training - adding a bit extra food each day as suggested sounds a great idea

:)

irj, just try a little bit each day, even if you only mange an extra 50 cals, it will help, if you try to up by that much all in one go it would seem imposable.

im sure you will get your head round it :)

.x.

IRJ - I've just posted a thread on the pre-op forum which I think you would find very interesting considering the symptoms you're experiencing.

The exercise you are doing on such a low calorie intake is basically depleting your body of glycogen, not only from your liver but I suspect from muscle storage too. You really do need to increase both calories and carb intake to help prevent this otherwise as BB said, you are likely to become very ill indeed.

Here's the link if you'd like to read it... Carbohydrate Metabolism

I too have reactive hypoglycemia since surgery - as diagnosed by the dietitian. I was getting sick all the time - even off low sugar food. My dietitian put me on a low GI diet and it is working fantastic - I just have to be even more aware of what I eat which is no big deal given that we already track closely what we eat. Good luck and give your dietition a call xxx

Back