• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low Calcium

bubblyangie

Hiya everyone,

I have been having a few problems for a few weeks now, I was aware that my weight was going too low (for me) and I was increasingly running out of energy and feeling lethargic, and dizzy, I have been being monitored at the hospital, and im on loads of extra iron, vit d, b12, thiamin, calcium supplements to take extra to my multivitamin, im told that ive lost too much too quick..... and in doing so lost muscle as well as fat, well here i am plodding on eating High Protein, RICH diet, ie, butter, full fat milk, under dieticians orders of course, but not having a great improvement, I suppose it takes time!! Well I went to the hospital monday and had more bloods done, and I was then rang yesterday by the hospital to get up there NOW, well off I went, and I was told my Calcium levels had dropped again and was now dangerous, ive been given a higher vit D tablet which should help my body absorb the calcium but told to closely monitor myself any feelings of unwell etc, im to ring straight away, talk about making me paranoid, everything seems to hurt and ache....... but we will see, I have got to go again friday to have more bloods done and then they will phone me.... just wanted to winge abit, and share and perhaps highlight, the importance of taking supplements and how calcium effects the whole body...... its scared me enough!!!!

Winge away. Hope you get all your levels sorted soon but in the mean time BIG HUGS coming your way. xxxx

oh gosh, thats a worry for you. Ive never heard of anyone being deficient in calcium before.

Only thing I can suggest is to eat calcium rich foods as well as your supplements, like milk, cheese etc.

So sorry to hear about this issue Angie, what a dreadful worry for you precious.

Please keep us closely in touch and it's a wake up call for everyone to take supplements... feeling for you and always at your side.

Sending a huge hug and lots of love... keep in close touch xxx

Thanks Everyone, I do drink loads of fullfat milk but due to the bypass milk Ive been told would probably go through too quick, I feel really poorly today and I am just holding off ringing my doctor (as told to do so) cos I know he will call me up to Heartlands and as I am there later to run the support group.....Hopefully I thought I'd kill x2 birds with one stone LOL it is a worry but I am sure I will get through.

Thanks For the support!!

Do hope you feel better Angie, had you on my mind all day... there must be someway of improving your health... loads of love and hugs xxx

Well I txt my doctor to admit how crap I felt, and as I thought I was ordered to go straight to the hospital for another Blood test, as I was there early for the support group I went, and he rang me a few hours later to say that my levels were no better and suggested I rested up and just keep them informed if I get any worse but go in Friday again anyway for more tests.... Support group went well, although tiring and I must admit i got home ate something, threw it up then went to bed where my temperature spiked and i spent x2 hour shivering trying to get warm, with x2 quilts on me..... hey ho, i feel like i have been beaten up today and I am so thirsty, but I dont intend to get out my PJ's today..... I am still hoping to get away this weekend on my christian retreat...I so need it....so any prayers out there I would appreciate them.....

Hugs and thanks for listening

So sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell Angie, I hope you manage to get away for your weekend it will probably do you the world of good..X

Low calcium is the pits.

If you get tingling of you lips especially get off up to the hospital - its a really odd sensation but when you realise its happening you recognise it for what it is.

My vit D is low at the mo - even though I take Centrum, AquADEKs and alfacalcidol!.

I had low calcium problems pre-op due to a thyroid op but it's been low since my DS - even on calcium supplements.

One other thing form another forum DSers are better taking a calcium citrate supplement as its absorbed better than carbonate.

I've been changed to CaCit it converts to citrate in water - not sure if it's worked yet cos that result wasn't given to me!!

Going to docs on the 23rd to get sorted!!

Hope you are OK

love and hugs xxx

Angie I'm so sorry to hear you'e so poorly love. I will be praying for you tonight, I hope you make your weekend, it sounds like you need it. I have one booked myself for next month.:)

Well I had a good weekend, Spiritually it did me the world of good, but physically feel wrecked, Ive had alot of Cold, clammy dithering spells over the weekend, but it was weird because underneath all the layers of clothes my core body was hot and sweaty??? Im still getting tummy pain not consistent but its niggly and there!! Ive rested and been taken care of so can't complain! Ive got to go to the hospital again tomorrow so I suppose we will see what the blooming heck is going on for me...... Thanks for listening

I'm glad you made it honey. and I hope things are looking better tomorrow. How come your calcium is so low? I presume you must be on supplements?

hi my calcium levels were too low 1.84 so the hospital changed me from calcichew to adcal d3 i had to take double dose for 3 days 2 taba twice a day and then have my bloods done my recordings were then 2.35 slightly high normal range is 2.15 to 2.23 so just had bloods done again and readings after 5 days were 2.17 so in a normal range.
my reduced calcium levels coinsided with having another bile stone but also i have just started the menopause so its imperative to get my levels sorted to prevent oesteo arthitus. Hope they get you sorted
carole

Back