• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low stomach acid and reflux symptoms

weegie

OK so google tells me. ( i know, I know.. But bear with me ) that my symptoms may be due to low rather than too much stomach acid. I know I should wait until June to find out my results but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else had experience of this.
Apparently if you have a high PH number this means you are too alkaline rather than having too much acid. The symtoms are similar to acid reflux. Basically because of inadequate acid you cannot digest the food properly and so it sits there fermenting, making you bloat and belch and yes get reflux. It causes bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Yes, it is just as dangerous as too much acid, and harder to treat. There is also some relationship with H Pylori which I have just been treated for though I am yet to find out if it has been eradicated.
Really, lol, I am not saying this is my diagnosis but as it seems to be the result of the numbers I am searching for I am very interested to know if other people have encountered or suffered from it.
:)

It would explain my very slow processing of food though. :D

Any materials with a high or a low Ph are corrosive (think acid v something like caustic soda). So all foods have a Ph, low Ph foods would probably include dairy, yoghurt etc, veg possibly neutral at around 7? Alkaline diets vert trendy at the mo, is it worth googling them to see what they say about acid/alkaline foods and have a think/experiment to see if it affects symptoms?

Thanks Siana, tbh I never heard of too little acid and my first instinct would be it is a good thing. Hubby said caustic soda as well. I do seem better on my danio yogurts than other stuff. Not something you find on labelling though. Off on holiday early on the am, will try and see what I can find out diet wise beforehand.
I just returned my PH test to the hospital.. The log read something like this..
Dinner, cough,bloat, burp, cough, cough, cough
Supper, cough, bloat, burlp, cough, cough, cough etc all my readings were between 6.5 and 9.4 except one or two exceptions
What that means who knows lol.

Last edited:
OK so the stomach produces hydrochloric acid to assist with digestion of food, all acidic materials have low Ph , 7 is neutral, higher numbers mean alkaline, which would appear to indicate that the foods you are eating are not being digested properly, hence bloat n burp?

Well it is all guesswork for now. The worse symptom is the coughing and breathlessness it has taken away any real quality of life I had, the bloating has been going on about 2 months as opposed to the 18 months of coughing. One thing to note, I was prescribed Omeprazole 3 Months ago. A high dosage for silent reflux, it can also be a cause of low acid, I had to stop it 10 days ago for the PH test but I can start it again now. I may well be taking the one thing I do not need :sigh: It will be June before I know my results so will just have to go with the flow till then.

Ok this is why I am still up at 2:25am.
Had a Sleeve last November, and this is the first time this has happened.
Feels like my mouth and gut on fire, even after taken meds.

Hope your's is better, and you have taken stuff to Turkey.
Happy Holiday

Is there many calories in fire Kar, Whats the protein like ?

Back