• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Maintaning weight ....

Tinkerbellx

I had this sent to me regarding maintaing my weight ......

Based on standard equations, which need to be considered an estimate, since everyone is different, you would need around 1800 calories daily to keep your weight stable at 8 stone. However you should focus more on the types of foods you are eating rather than the calorie content. Remember that solid foods that require lots of chewing and need to be eaten slowly (e.g. chicken, fish, skin on jacket potatoes, al dente pasta, couscous, vegetables, salad, fruit, ryvita, crunchy low sugar/low fat breakfast cereal) are more likely to keep you fuller for longer. Obviously keeping high calorie foods/drinks to a minimum remains important, as it would if you didn't have a bypass and were trying to keep your weight stable at 8 stone. Keep up the drinking lots too!

i think that just about sums it up...

i never have counted cals... but .. if i have something tinned..pre packed i always look at the cals in it and more often than not stick it straight back on the shelf!!

since my bypass i have gone for QUALITY rather than QUANTITY....and enjoy food much more..

i rarely have anything processed... partly because i have a few allergies and most pre packed stuff have things in it i cant tolerate..

good info thanx x

I'm nearly three years and I still find it hard ....

i didnt have a prob till i reached 3 + yrs post opp... now at 5 yrs i do have to watch what i eat....but as long as i eat in moderation im oki...can eat most things without dumping big time.... unfortunately... tho do get a polite warning i.e a mini dump... lol
x

Ha ha imagine having to aim for 3000-4000 cals a day like I do then! It's a full time effort trying to fit them all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Yup, chronic malabsorption so it's a long term battle to stop losing weight.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought it would hit before then omg xxxx

i think it depends on the individual... i have some wls friends who hit it at about 18 months post opp... i glad i didnt....
to be honest i have never counted cals... but im sure if i did it would way exceed 1800 :eek:

i tend to follow the guides of slimming world as you only have to count to 3 so to spk (1. healthy extra ...2. calcium choice... 3. free food... lol)

Last edited:
Yup, chronic malabsorption so it's a long term battle to stop losing weight.

i hit that stage at about 3 yrs post op.. everyone starting changing their tune about the way i looked and started being quite .... nasty..saying i looked ill and that i should stop losing weight ... i must admit i did look a bit gaunt at 7 and half stone but i liked being that weight... and it was still within my weight range... well... just... :(

then over the following months i gradually gained about a stone n half.. then everyone said i looked better... tho i felt the extra weight... and decided to lose about 10 or so lbs of it again and now maintain... i tend to go up one week on weight and out the blue lose a fair few.... spose thats normal really... haha me normal... what is normal???:rolleyes:

Cilo, that's sounds simple.... What's a healthily extra ... Could u pm me some details ? Please x

its the slimming world programme..

you chose from the healthy extra choices. which are things like complex carbs.. i.e cereals, wholemeal breads..crispbreads..

these items are weighed or measured..
then you chose from the calcium box.. this is cheeses, be it cottage or triangles or soft/hard cheese.. milks..etc

then you have your free food choices.. there are 3 plans you can follow.. extra easy, where all meat and potato pasta rice are free to eat as and when you please (tho i cant do a lot)

you have up to 15 syns a day which you can use for spreads, gravy and those extras ya like ;)

i dont explain it very well but i do know that since i have gone back to SW i eat far healthier..

if you have a look at their website it will prob explain it better..

i go purely to keep myself in line.. i tend to stick with the protein first rule at most meals as it really does fill you up more than those slider foods...

hth
x

Back