• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op weight loss anxiety

janeyf

I am now on day 7 of my pre-op diet (low fat/carbs etc) and last Wednesday, my first day, I weighed 148.5 kg. Today I weigh 146.5. 4 lbs loss. What's going on ????????????????????
I lost 8 lbs once in the first week at Weight Watchers.
I have totally followed instructions. The only thing I might be lacking in is drinking lots of water/juice but that's all.

My op in on Monday 24th Feb so I will be 2 days down on the pre-op because I was only told late Tuesday afternoon. I am panicking now. I thought you were supposed to loose loads on this diet. At the very least over a stone but I can't see me losing 10 lbs in the next 6 days at this rate.

Can anyone tell me if this happened to them and if the weight did eventually drop ?

Many thanks - jane xxxxx

Don't be its not meant to lose the weight its a shrinking of the liver diet which allows them to be able to get at the bits thye need to to be able to do it key hole so less and smaller wounds, for some weight loss is an added bonus but not everyone so don't worry its you liver they concerned about as mucha s anything else xx

hiya janeyf I am suppose to start that on the 24th.my op is provisionally booked for the 13th march.i don't do dairy so I cant do the milk.i have to do same has you.it does worry me a little bit.far too may carbs.but like chrissa said its to shrink the liver not the amount of weight.and when we were all on weight watchers and slimming world the first week was meant to be water.dont worry too much.good luck and you take care

Please don't worry - which is easier said than done, I know I did.

Whether it shows on the scales or not, your liver will be shrinking. Your body is going in to 'panic' mode as it's wondering what's happening but your liver will be shrinking xx

Ahh thanks for that. I was led to believe that you were supposed to lose about 1 - 1.5 stones and I thought good God that's not going to happen. Thanks for your good wishes xxxx

I did manage 11lb but was on the milk n yoghurt diet, with 1 bowl veg soup and fruit. But I could loose 7 - 10 lb in Water at ww. No 2 people a like. Just keep to the guide and your liver will be perfect for the op that's what matters. x

Hi don't be too worried. The main reason for the pre-op diets are to shrink your liver the losing weight part is a bonus. I was on the waiting list for a bypass and was still waiting to see the dietician re pre-op diet when on Monday got a phone call to say there had been a cancellation and my op was on the Wednesday!! 2 days later I didbt even have time to read about pre-op never mind do one AND to make matters worse me n my hubby had been away for the weekend and I'd ended up stuffing my face with dominos n Krispy Kreme so think I'd actually put weight on :O honestly don't worry yourself as you said your sticking to your plan so you liver is bound to be nice n small n pink :) xx

I lost 1 1/2 stone and my liver was still quite big! My surgeon said it was more difficult as I'm tiny and all my organs are tightly packed.

Don't worry, they know what they're doing :) x

I am now on day 7 of my pre-op diet (low fat/carbs etc) and last Wednesday, my first day, I weighed 148.5 kg. Today I weigh 146.5. 4 lbs loss. What's going on ????????????????????
I lost 8 lbs once in the first week at Weight Watchers.
I have totally followed instructions. The only thing I might be lacking in is drinking lots of water/juice but that's all.

My op in on Monday 24th Feb so I will be 2 days down on the pre-op because I was only told late Tuesday afternoon. I am panicking now. I thought you were supposed to loose loads on this diet. At the very least over a stone but I can't see me losing 10 lbs in the next 6 days at this rate.

Can anyone tell me if this happened to them and if the weight did eventually drop ?

Many thanks - jane xxxxx
Hmmmm curious to know too?

I have done the diet previously and then cancelled the op
Panicked!!
I lost around 7
Pounds in the week so I guess I was about the same as you, I wouldn't worry xx

Hi I didn't lose a massive amount and often even now I lose a half pound some weeks yet 3 others I think that we all get a little obsessed with weighing ourselves at first yet as others have said it is a liver shrinking diet and you will lose some ! try not to think of it as a comparison with others, we are all different, I didn't lose anything for 5/6 weeks only two months after bypass then suddenly 8 pounds went in one week, I suppose we have to each go our own weight loss journey some faster than others yet hopefully all getting to the finishing line .

its there to shrink the liver to allow easier access for surgery, not yo lose pounds, as long as you stick to the rules of your pre-op diet and follow if to the letter you'll be fine.

Please don't worry :)

I didn't though
I had a Jaffa cake! I'm sure it will be ok, my diet isn't specific really, it's cereal or toast and egg for breakfast lunch can be egg and toast or salad snd chicken dinner fish n veg, I can have heavy and have fruit no alcohol no fizzy drinks

Back