• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Male refused funding article

I saw this on the news too. Its a sad fact though that it really does depend on where you live - its not fair but thats the way it is and its something that many of us have come up against.

I agree, I live in the same pct as pg but even though my BMI was above 50 as I ONLY had high cholesterol, blood pressure, oedema and insulin intolerance I didn't fit into their little box!

If I lived elsewhere I would have qualified on BMI alone.

It is about time PCT's are challenged on there inconsistent approach, that often does not reflect NICE criteria. Where you live should not determine the healthcare that you receive.

Where is this equality that the government seems to have a bee in it's bonnet about? In reality it does not exist.

Up the revolution, that's what I say.

Julie

This story is also on the Daily Mail website and the vast majority of comments are so so nasty its horrible... I totally think this guy should be given surgery and really hope they see sense and help him but it has really got people backs up that he is using the "Its my human right" card. Ive seen nasty comments about these stories before but never this vicious and its because he thinks its his human right to have surgery. I'm not sure I agree with him on that but its got people very angry! Good luck to him and however he gets surgery I hope it happens soon x

The thing that annoys me is that people see obesity surgery as some kind of luxury. If you smoked 50 fags a day, and ended up with lung cancer, or regularly drunk yourself into oblivion and had liver disease, would someone say having an organ transplant was a luxury?
In this country, healthcare is free. This guy needs treatment, and as such has the right to get help.
People just don't see the bigger picture. There'll always be people who say the money used for bariatrics should be used for 'better' causes, but what about the money that goes into methadone programmes and stop smoking campaigns? It's all on a par realistically.

i wonder how much of this is for the medias benefit,creating stories ,,cos after all ,not every one gets wls who wants it , , some are refused on medical grounds as well as denied funding , i cant believe how the reports vary so much in the media ,some quote him as being refused a band,others quote that his refused bypass,wish they would research before reporting ,im just sad that this poor man isnt getting a chance like we are but i do wonder how much of the story we are being told sometimes,,i hope he gets what he needs ,life is so unfair sometimes ,,

It's not nice to be refused or be treated unacceptable but when u read his story it sounds more like his health issues are why they have refused, I'm only 23 but I don't know if there is a upper age limit like there is a lower limit.

We will never get a true story as they never put that in the media, but hope he gets sorted some how xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back