• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BBC article

RoseA

Morning Rosa, interesting article - makes me nervous though for some reason?? Feels like it Russian Roulette!

me to so im not reading it haha xx

Very interesting! In my job i have occasionally to decide between four or five young people as to who will get a place in the children's home i help to manage(sad but true). Yes we have basic criteria to get a referal and in an ideal world i'd love to treat each case in their own right which we try and do but at the end of the day the organisation dictate that criteria must be met. It is so hard as who am i to decide what child to give a better future to? The point i am trying to make is i'm sure these people that decide who should or shouldn't have surgery have their hands tied in many situations.Why oh why can't we treat each case as an individual and judge them on their own merits as opposed to that "criteria", i understand this makes it more difficult but no one said it would ever be easy x

Thanks for posting Rose - at last a balanced report on the postcode lottery for funding, although I bet there will be lots of negative comments filtering through on the BBC website later.

Thanks for posting Rose - at last a balanced report on the postcode lottery for funding, although I bet there will be lots of negative comments filtering through on the BBC website later.

Yes, I'm interested to see the response too, although I fear there'll be some of the usual comments....

Very interesting article & I fully agree with the premise behind Dr Haslam's comments...if the decision for funding were based on more than just a BMI number or presence of co-morbidities, funding could be directed to those who really would benefit healthwise the most...as I assume (incorrectly maybe?) that for the majority of us, this is the primary reason for considering WLS as a last resort to health-related problems anyway.

As a slight aside, with my op fast approaching, despite the fact that I will have waited 15 months until I actually have my op from initial referral, I can now appreciate the advantages of this sort of time-scale of waiting for WLS, although obviously I wasn't impressed at the time! In hindsight, I think for some PCT's, the willingness of those referred to jump through numerous hoops over this sort of time period may go towards impressing upon the PCT someone's commitment to the process, which may directly reflect the benefit to that person? Just my opinion anyway!

Very interesting article & I fully agree with the premise behind Dr Haslam's comments...if the decision for funding were based on more than just a BMI number or presence of co-morbidities, funding could be directed to those who really would benefit healthwise the most...as I assume (incorrectly maybe?) that for the majority of us, this is the primary reason for considering WLS as a last resort to health-related problems anyway.

As a slight aside, with my op fast approaching, despite the fact that I will have waited 15 months until I actually have my op from initial referral, I can now appreciate the advantages of this sort of time-scale of waiting for WLS, although obviously I wasn't impressed at the time! In hindsight, I think for some PCT's, the willingness of those referred to jump through numerous hoops over this sort of time period may go towards impressing upon the PCT someone's commitment to the process, which may directly reflect the benefit to that person? Just my opinion anyway!

For my part, I agree too. I was initially offered a date very quickly - that was cancelled, but I soon realised that it was a blessing in disguise as I was just not ready. The subsequent wait (another 7 months) enabled me to prepare myself far better - not only for the op, but more importantly, for the life changes following WLS (all thanks to the wonderful people on this forum !)

Hi Rose,

I read the article since I like to keep up to date with current thinking and studies...

It is believable that the Welsh Assembly have the jurisdiction to turn down our cases over here in Wales... mine was refused at first, but accepted only after having cancer and insulin resistance.

I was told that if I had not had these co-morbidities, then there would have been no hope of help for me...

It's worrying at present with the reduction of funding to the NHS and I do fear any change of plan for this type of surgery...

Once we have been accepted by the PCT, is there any way that they can reverse their decision based on insufficient funds at a later date?

Thanks for posting this Rose, it's interesting to read this article. xxx

Once we have been accepted by the PCT, is there any way that they can reverse their decision based on insufficient funds at a later date?

I worry about this and would like to know if they can pinch back the offer of surgery.

Read the comment of the BBC article and the first one I saw was "Yes I'm fat-phobic and think they shouldn't get surgery for a self-induced condition ...." Good grief that irritates me :mad: How much do you reckon the NHS spends on giving smokers free patches and such and support groups? How much do you think they spend on meth programmes for the druggies?

I agree Karen... 'fat phobia' is out there...

Like you, the refusal of a PCT due to funding is a worry to me too.

Glad Rose raised this article... xxx

Very interesting article, very worrying to. Think i'll refrain from reading anymore comments, but if i was in there situation and had never been fat i think I'd have the same opinion. Where does it stop though, if you've ever smoked should you also be refused on the NHS for care or if you have ever been alcoholic or have taken drugs. I think most people have abused their bodies in one way or another over the years. xxx

It saddens me how many people out there are so quick to judge.....there must be millions of perfect people who Ive never met. What about obese people who are obese because of mental trauma from being abused as children or living through horrendous childhoods? It seems "they" think its ok to spend NHS money on locking the abusers up but not on helping the abused! It makes me so mad when people think that obese people are just "fat slobs" who laze about all day eating and drinking, there are some people like this......but not many. X

I agree dottychic but its what we're labeled as sadly and its whats drummed into people if your fat its because you eat junk food and laze about all day. If you've been in that situation like we are we know its not true (well most of us.) People are to quick to judge, its like smack heads though they've probably got issues as to why they have taken drugs, theres got to come a point though where we have to take responsibility of our own lives and i was abused sexually as a child, and think this did have something to do with using food as a comfort xxx

That is too often the case Kerry... and weight gain can go alongside these types of negative experiences and earlier trauma... you poor love.

I am a believer that there are some people who do gain weight from depression.... having worked in a community mental health team most of my working life... it's a pattern, comfort food eating... must say it's happened to me just the same.... enjoying my food as a comfort...

Although there are so many reasons for weight gain... medical, etc etc.... there are parts of society that judge other too quickly and it's so wrong.

We are collectively hanging together and getting through this and I am looking forward so much to meeting you and all at Salford...

Love and humungous hugs coming your way!

xxx

Me too (the abuse), and Ive had counselling etc and they agreed that a lot of abused children suffer from obesity or drug abuse all forms of self harm. I dont want to be looked on or treated as a victim but I just hope for some understanding. At least dont judge people before walking a mile in their shoes, thats not too much to ask is it?
Ooooooooohhh Im waffling now, once I get on my soap box you have to tackle me to get me off!! :D

Don't worry Jacqui, you have some understanding friends on here... it takes a lot to share something so devastating in your life and feel some love and support coming your way and to you Kerry.... together we will go forward and gain strength... please take care xxx

Me too (the abuse), and Ive had counselling etc and they agreed that a lot of abused children suffer from obesity or drug abuse all forms of self harm. I dont want to be looked on or treated as a victim but I just hope for some understanding. At least dont judge people before walking a mile in their shoes, thats not too much to ask is it?
Ooooooooohhh Im waffling now, once I get on my soap box you have to tackle me to get me off!! :D

Same here with the abuse. It's the main reason I ended up obese and with a borderline personality disorder diagnosis. I wish the guidelines were more flexible too. I'm desperate to lose weight but am just 0.1 below the required bmi for automatic funding so I'm actually having to prevent myself from losing weight right now, and it's making me feel physically ill.

I'm so sorry to hear of your traumatic abusive past ladies! I currently work with vunerable young people 3 of whom have been continully physically and sexually abused by various people and i see the effect it has on them and they are only 11,14.15. Jacqui you are so right these kids do self harm,they do abuse drugs, alcohol and food and my team and i try so hard to help these kids and more importantly get society to stop judging their behaviours and dismissing them as worthless! Oh sorry its me thats on my soapbox now Jacquie i'll tackle you if you tackle me off our respective boxes x

Back