• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Maybe a silly question but is everyones pouch size the same ?

Danielle <3

Was just sat wondering if everyones pouch size is the same or do surgeons determine what your pouch should be from your start weight ?? Or has it really anything to do with pouch size? hmmmmm my mind is going in over drive thinking about what happens when u reach ur personal target or the target they would suggest you should be and what to do to maintain :confused:

As I understand it the pouch is a standard size. Overtime its natural and right that it stretches. So it's individual difference that determines eventual capacity.
Studies suggest that there is little correlation between restriction and overall weightloss. It is rarer to not be able to stop loosing, than it is to plateau above ideal weight. For me, at not even 7 months out yet I am certain I could maintain at my current weight (16 1/2 st) as keeping intake low is a constant battle.

I'm on my phone but guessing you're asking about bypasses. From my experience and understanding pouches are different sizes. But there is not a lot in it. What is more variable is how much of the intestine is bypassed - the more that is done the more malabsorption. Too much and you get ill. Too little and you still absorb too many calories. All too often I see the - I think I can eat too much. I think our head plays mind games though.

Yvessa is right my surgeon told me the pouch is just done the same in everyone but can very in size a little bit but the intestine is done at different lengths he said it's anything from 100-200 not sure if it's cms but he said he was only doing mine at 150 as I was 1 of the smaller 1s, but I also wondered about pouch size as sometimes I can eat more than I thought I would be I think it depends on what it is im eating and also what time I eat less in the mornings x

Current thinking is that there is little to no malabsorbtion of calories. So proximal bypasses are much more common than distal ones. There is a lot of info out there saying over 150cm is a distal bypass, but I was told that in truth they are WELL over 200cm and rarely done because of the health risks. Mine is 80cm and my bmi was 54 on the day of the op! My surgeon takes the view that its not the size, its what you do with it that counts.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the useful information girls x my consultant said that my weight will plateau at what it should be because you will eventually take in enough calories x

No. My pouch is half the size of normal by request(s). They use a smaller bougie to make the pouch smaller, then pull it tighter when stitching things up to make it smaller. My loop is 100cm.

My theory was the pouch stretches naturally over the first couple of years, so when that happens mine will be the same size that you normally start with.

Had one or several issues post-op, surgeon hasn't said they are size related but in life's cruel reality that I am that person that 'it' always happens to and thus time round has been no exception to that !!

Back