• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pouch question for my surgeon...

tpt

Uber geek
On my consult, my surgeon chappie was asking me what my ideal weight will be - I told im that I have no idea because I don't possess a set of scales and weight is not important to me, it's health and I guess what size bra or troosers I am wearing. He pushed the point a couple of times..again - not relative as one of my sisters is the same height as me but different frame and smaller boobs so we would not look the same at the same weight so I fail to see how relative it is.

Anyhow - afterwards I thought about it as he pressed the issue a few times and I asked the dietician last night when she rang "is what he perceives as the ideal target weight reflected in the size of the 'pouch' that he creates?". She was stumped and is going to get back to me.

What do think? Do you think we have pouches relative to our start or end size / weight? Do you think that they create it according to each case or do you think it's a one size fits all scenario?

I will let you know when the chappie gets back to me. :confused::confused::eek:

Hi TPT,

The question he asked you is a standard one, I am a bander and I was asked that too. I told him if I could get down to 13 st 10lbs I'd be one happy bunny as that would be 10 stone lost.

From what I have watched on You Tube and the telly when researching WLS, it seems there is a tool they use to make the pouch in a bypass, something that is inserted and the staple line is made along that. So I guess pouch size is similar in most bypasses around the 20-30cc mark or not much bigger than a walnut.

Be interesting to hear what he says....

Thanks Caz - I think he was more weight obsessed than me - I am just not bothered. My criteria is all health related. :)

The size of the pouch varies by surgeon not by patient from my understanding, they use a specific piece of equipment. The intestines are a different matter, the surgeon may have a standard length that is bypassed but the internal structure and length of your intestines will dictate how much your surgeon bypasses. That is partially why some people will have a lower 'dumping' threshold because they have more bypasses intestines. Will be interested to hear how your surgeon explains it.

Nic:D

Nic - he looks just like Michael Macintyre...I can't help laughing in my head when I think about him and kept smiling at him when he was talking....I shall try and take notes of his explaination and not giggle...

Nic - he looks just like Michael Macintyre...I can't help laughing in my head when I think about him and kept smiling at him when he was talking....I shall try and take notes of his explaination and not giggle...

Hi there TPT

Does he keep shaking his head like Michael MacIntyre does???
We love him here...I find myself shaking along with him...lol.

Please get a picture of him!

With regards to the question he asks you about what weight you would be happy at...Maybe this is his way of finding out how realistic your goals are...Maybe he can't equate it any other way.

I too, don't really see weight as the issue (and of course it is an issue) as much as I feel, health wise and size wise.

Look forward to the answers you get...(and the photo...lol)

(((hugs)))

I think Snow Crystal maybe right tpt My medical consultant asked me the weight question I am short and 17stone 1lb and I said I would be happy if Igot down to 11st. He said that was fine as sometimes peoples expectations are not realised in the amount they lose and to keep a realistic goal weight in your head. He also said there were many many patients who did achieve alot less than their realistic goal, so he maybe just wanted to make sure you werent one of those who was fixated on being a very small size lol.
Like Nic and Caz says the theatre sets are all the same size and no they dont do 'bespoke' pouches lol
Anyway will be interesting to see what the consultant has to say
Good luck

Jay xx

Well...this is the answer I got (from him through the dietitian via e-mail)

"The scars will need to be in a set position for technical reasons.
As I use glue, she can cover the scars with anything she likes with immediate effect. There should be no additional infection risk."

Obviously he was answering my query about scars under hot heavy sweaty blammers...well I hope he was!!!!

Och...now I am wobbling my head Michael Macintyre Stylee as i type....that's your fault snowcrystal :p:D:D

want to hear from those who had bariatric surgery?

i am interested to know after the surgery has anyone been on holiday? in a hot country about 6 weeks? have any complication arise while on holiday?
i want to travel after the surgery but not sure its a good idea but it would be nice to go somewhere no one knows you had surgery done to lose weight?

Hi tpt

my surgeon didn't even ask me. And I would love to know more details now that I'm not zonked on morphine but I wont be seeing him til October!

Hi bkay

I'm 3 weeks out today, and going to a festival this weekend! I was supposed to be 6 weeks out but got postponed. So it's bit closer than anticipated and a lot closer than I thought when I commited to buying the tickets.

I'm fine, not in pain, but man alive am I tired. So Tired!!! It doesn't get everybody this way but I wanted you to know so you could plan accordingly
Good luck

Well...this is the answer I got (from him through the dietitian via e-mail)

"The scars will need to be in a set position for technical reasons.
As I use glue, she can cover the scars with anything she likes with immediate effect. There should be no additional infection risk."

Obviously he was answering my query about scars under hot heavy sweaty blammers...well I hope he was!!!!

Och...now I am wobbling my head Michael Macintyre Stylee as i type....that's your fault snowcrystal :p:D:D

And thank you TPT for the visual...hehehe you gave me a good giggle.

(((hugs)))

i am interested to know after the surgery has anyone been on holiday? in a hot country about 6 weeks? have any complication arise while on holiday?
i want to travel after the surgery but not sure its a good idea but it would be nice to go somewhere no one knows you had surgery done to lose weight?

I've been looking into a holiday for next May/June and none of the insurance companies I found will cover anyone within 6 months of major surgery. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for surgery by end of October. (I'm not saying there aren't any - but I didn't find any). Mxx

Intresting Thread about the pouch size. I am very curious too.
I can't remember them asking me what weight i wanted to reach, But back then, I didn't care, all I wanted was to loose the weight & have a life.

Back