• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medication Worries

jen.thornton

Hi All,

My name is Jennie and I'm just starting my weightloss journey, I have an appointment on the 16th April to attend a seminar at Sunderland Royal.

What my question is "has anyone had any problems with absorbing pre-existing medications?".

I'm on a fair bit of meds for OCD, anxiety and depression and I'm terrified that my tablets will stop working after surgery!

So I'm in the predicament of stay fat and sort of happy or have the operation and be skinny and nuts!!!!

My head is done in worrying about it.. Would appreciate any pearls of wisdom.

Jennie xx :confused:

Hi All, My name is Jennie and I'm just starting my weightloss journey, I have an appointment on the 16th April to attend a seminar at Sunderland Royal. What my question is "has anyone had any problems with absorbing pre-existing medications?". I'm on a fair bit of meds for OCD, anxiety and depression and I'm terrified that my tablets will stop working after surgery! So I'm in the predicament of stay fat and sort of happy or have the operation and be skinny and nuts!!!! My head is done in worrying about it.. Would appreciate any pearls of wisdom. Jennie xx :confused:
I'm on lots of meds and I'm fine six weeks post by pass. At first taking them all and new ones was hard, but it gets easier. You'll be fine

i have had me meds changed to dissolvable/chewable/ for now until at least 6 weeks post op if thats what they suggest so maybe ask your gp for them versions they dont mind changing what they can

i have had me meds changed to dissolvable/chewable/ for now until at least 6 weeks post op if thats what they suggest so maybe ask your gp for them versions they dont mind changing what they can
I was taking enormous suppository size multi vits straight after by pass.

yeah they have me on that size multi vits for now but they will change them to chewable they said not that it helps i have no damn teeth lol

Some medication is not suitable if you have malabsorbtion, but that is something you will need to discuss with your GP. I don't believe it is a vast list, but I know there are some common meds on there so best check, If you are on one of those meds, your GP will be able to sort out the right one for you.

If you can tolerate normal multi-vits etc then great, i've opted for some sub-lingual ones, just because they start to absorb under your tongue, they do however not taste great!

I had my anti depressents/anxiety meds changed to liquid form for the first few weeks, anything else was dissolvable. I'm on trazodone and it is vile in liquid form. I started taking my capsule form again after 5 weeks, 1 at first then built up to 2 at night 1 in the morning. At first they made me super tired within 10min.. Not so much now though.. What op are you having? X

Thanks for all the replies ladies, gonna go and have a word with my GP.

Xkirsty88.... I want to go for the full bypass... But will have to wait for first appointment with the consultant.. See what the doc decides xx

i wont suggest metformin in dissolveable it is so vile its untrue but needs must

All mine except one (uniphyllan) are either chewable or in liquid form now

Hi Jen, I just waned to say good luck for the seminar. (I have mine on 7th May at Sunderland.)

I had not even thought about medication, this may be a problem for me as my diabetic meds are slow release as I can not tolerate the standard version. Anyway, I'm sure there will be a way round it for both of us!

Good luck and let us know how it goes x

from what i have heard many people dont need the diabetes meds post op i hope this is true in my case as metformin in soluble is the worst taste ever

Hi Princess - I am hoping this is the case for me but i think that will only be once an amount of weight has been lost and blood sugars are under control naturally. Good luck for your surgery hun!

I know people on antidepressants have struggled and had to monitor/adjust their doses. I would keep a very careful eye on it and maybe keep a mood diary for the first few months just to make sure you're not dipping without realising it.

they stopped my anti depressants few months back they found they was the cause of my blood issues causing unexplained bruising

really hope i can get of the metformin though i know it will still be a while as my last hba1c was 84

Hi Jen, I just waned to say good luck for the seminar. (I have mine on 7th May at Sunderland.)

I had not even thought about medication, this may be a problem for me as my diabetic meds are slow release as I can not tolerate the standard version. Anyway, I'm sure there will be a way round it for both of us!

Good luck and let us know how it goes x

Hi Sunshine,

it'll soon be your time for the seminar, I'm starting to feel quite excited although a bit nervous, I know everything will not be done in an instant, so I have been and bought a load of stuff to start a protein diet for in meantime, gonna see how much I can get off before surgery :cool: xx

I had the same question myself as I sometimes take diclofenac for back and knee pain and also the antidepressants i wonder is there more lee way with the sleeve (which is what i am going for) than the bypass given that the part of the bowel that absorbs is not being touched?

Back