• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sunderland Royal Hospital

beccasd

Hi everyone, im new to this site and just after a little advice please. I finally decided at the begining of the year to take the plunge and opt for WLS my GP referred me to Sunderland Royal Hospital in July and i had my first seminar in September, i have my first consultation with the dietician on Friday. I just have a couple of questions for people who had their surgery at the same hospital 1) how long did it take from initial seminar to the date of the surgery? 2) Because i was accepted and invited to the seminar does that mean ive also been accepted for funding? Il be really grateful for any advice given.

Thanks you
becca x

Hi happy days thanks for your reply, what is it i should expect from fridays appointment im really excited but a little nervous theyre going to be brutal with me lol. Im rather impatient now ive made the decision to go ahead with the surgery i just want it over with and have heard that the waiting list at Stockton hospital is around 8 months do you think transferring hospitals would be accepted? How did you find the whole process were you happy with the hospitals proceedures did you feel comfotable with them. Sorry for all the questions lol x

Your first app will generally just go threw your eating habits so they can decide what op will be best for you.
If you have lost weight since seminar then you will cut about three months off your waiting time. If you havnt they will give you a target to get to and another appointment later.
Personally I found the whole exp great. Staff were lovely and can't fault them. The aftercare isn't great with the delays in appointments but at the end of the day if you have a problem you can phone them and they will see you sooner.
Don't worry about questions. I remember what it was like. X

I was sleeved at Sunderland in Feb and everything went really well. They have a great team there.
It took @ 18 months from referral to op. Good luck x

New to all of this

I just went to the seminar this week and had the same questions as Becca so really glad to find this forum. I was really uncertain about funding in particular as my BMI is under 40 and I know the demand is really high (though I do have some co-morbities which I guess is what swung it).

I have my first appointment 15th November and feel really daunted by the whole process. Not to mention the waiting time!

It's good to hear from other people who have gone through this in Sunderland as it makes me a little more confident. They certainly seem t know there stuff. I'm just a bit terrified of the actual surgery!

I had never really considered surgery before but have run out of things to try and don't fancy the prospect of living the rest of my life on the diet seesaw of losing and gaining wait. Having mad ethe decision though I am now really impatient :sigh:

Hi suzie i had my first appointment last friday and was really nervous, not really sure what to expect, what they wanted from me but walked out feeling asif a weight had been lifted already. Both the nurse and dietician i seen were lovely went through my eating habits, the types of food i ate what surgery they thought would suit me best and how much weight they wanted me to loose she also answered the questions i had. One being was i definatly going to get funding? She told me as long as there was no medical reason stopping me having the operation i would be getting the op!!

I have been referred to see the psych dr and have been told this may slow the process down a couple of months but should wait between 1 and 2 years for the op. My next appointment should be in around 5 month. Really i would like the surgery tomorrow i am also really impatient lol, i know other hospitals have shorter waiting lists darlos is onlyvabout 8 month but ive decided im happy to take a little longer being prepared for the start of my new life.

Good luck for november. X

hi Susie I really understand your bit about been impatient, im the same back here .it took me a major health scare to get my butt in gear and get on the road to a thinner me I just want to get the band done so I can get on with my new life I guess the rest of the health team are playing catch up with me .fingers x I might get the band sometime within the next 6 months if I believe my team at barts hospital. I hope you get good news soon

QUOTE="Su2ie;2685467"]I just went to the seminar this week and had the same questions as Becca so really glad to find this forum. I was really uncertain about funding in particular as my BMI is under 40 and I know the demand is really high (though I do have some co-morbities which I guess is what swung it).

I have my first appointment 15th November and feel really daunted by the whole process. Not to mention the waiting time!

It's good to hear from other people who have gone through this in Sunderland as it makes me a little more confident. They certainly seem t know there stuff. I'm just a bit terrified of the actual surgery!

I had never really considered surgery before but have run out of things to try and don't fancy the prospect of living the rest of my life on the diet seesaw of losing and gaining wait. Having mad ethe decision though I am now really impatient :sigh:[/QUOTE]

Hi suzie i had my first appointment last friday was was really nervous about it, did really know what to expect, what they wanted from me or like you ifni was actually going to get funding. I came out feeling like a weight had been lifted aleeady. Both the nurse and dietician i seen were lovely. They went through my eating habits, types of food i ate diets ive tried (and failed lol) weighed me gave me a target weight loss and answered the questions i had one being was i definatly going to get funding. She told me as long as there was no medical reason i was good to go and i would get the op!! From what i can tell if you get accepted for the seminar you get the funding they would far rather spenk 10k doing the op than the many thousands they would have to spend on health reasons related to obesity.

They have referred me to see a psych dr which i understand will delay the process a little around 3 months. Like you now ive decided to take this route im rather impatient and would like the op tomorrow lol but have been told il wait around 1-2 years i know some hospitals have a shorter waiting time i think darlos is around 8 month but ive decided im happy to wait, this way i know il have enough time to mentally prepare myself for my new life ive been told il wait around 5 month for my next appointment.

Good luck for November!! Xx

Hiya Becca, I was done at SRH. I was bypassed in May this year. Its the best thing I have done. When I was on the waiting list. it took 2 years exact. but I think they might be moving a little faster than back then. But good luck and I hope all goes well hun x

Hi everyone, im new to this site and just after a little advice please. I finally decided at the begining of the year to take the plunge and opt for WLS my GP referred me to Sunderland Royal Hospital in July and i had my first seminar in September, i have my first consultation with the dietician on Friday. I just have a couple of questions for people who had their surgery at the same hospital 1) how long did it take from initial seminar to the date of the surgery? 2) Because i was accepted and invited to the seminar does that mean ive also been accepted for funding? Il be really grateful for any advice given. Thanks you becca x
Hi I had my seminar at Sunderland in August 2012 and did not get my first appointment with the dietician until January 2013 I am having my op on November 9th it goes quite quickly really and gives you time to really think about it good luck

Hiya Becca, I was done at SRH. I was bypassed in May this year. Its the best thing I have done. When I was on the waiting list. it took 2 years exact. but I think they might be moving a little faster than back then. But good luck and I hope all goes well hun x
Hi I'm having bypass at Sunderland November 9th how have you got on? How long did you stay in? Any tips? I'm excited but a bit nervous
Diane

Hiya Becka. I was bypassed in SRH IN august 2011 AND while I have to say it was a long wait it gave you time to get your head around things, its after the op when the regret can start, so the longer you have to prepare in my opinion is better, yes there are shorter waiting times at Darlington and Stockton but too fast sometimes for some of us to cope with, fast is not always best, its only when we look back and see the bigger picture that we appreciate how the wait has equipped us with how this op will change our lives for ever. It is all well and good wanting it yesterday we all feel like that about things but not everything is as life changing as this chance. Do what you feel is right for you but its the head that need to be in gear to be able to use this op efficiently to help us through everyday life. xx

Hi caraline they now have another surgeon on board so said the waiting list may be shorter now but im still keeping the 2 years in mind. X

Safcrazy, you seemed to wait a while between the seminar and the first appt but there wasnt alot of waiting between then and the op what happens after the first appointment were you given a longer expected waiting time or is this what you expected? X

Hi chrisa i agree with you ive decided to hold out at SRH for as long as it takes this is going to change mine and my sons life for the better and id much rather be mentally prepared than dive in feet first and not be ready it will give me plenty of time to do lots of research for the op and for life after. Ive spent my whole adult life being fat im sure i can make it through another couple of years x

Hi caraline they now have another surgeon on board so said the waiting list may be shorter now but im still keeping the 2 years in mind. X Safcrazy, you seemed to wait a while between the seminar and the first appt but there wasnt alot of waiting between then and the op what happens after the first appointment were you given a longer expected waiting time or is this what you expected? X Hi chrisa i agree with you ive decided to hold out at SRH for as long as it takes this is going to change mine and my sons life for the better and id much rather be mentally prepared than dive in feet first and not be ready it will give me plenty of time to do lots of research for the op and for life after. Ive spent my whole adult life being fat im sure i can make it through another couple of years x
Hi yeah I had a bout 4 mths between seminar and first appointment then was given a target of around a stone to lose my next appointment was April where I had met the target and was then sent for the camera down in June during which the doctor said I would be listed and the waiting list was around 6 mths. I received a message to ring admissions a couple of weeks ago and was given the date of 9th November I have a pre op assessment Monday 28th and all being well will go in on Friday the 8th Nov and have the op on the Saturday it seemed ages away at the start but I have had time to really think about it and prepare my friends and family. I feel lucky at being given the chance to finally get rid of the weight

Ive been given the same target, ive also been referred to see the psych dr so know that will slow the process down alittle. Did you have any problems with your family accepting your choice of the surgery.good luck for your op which proceedure have you gone for? X

Ive been given the same target, ive also been referred to see the psych dr so know that will slow the process down alittle. Did you have any problems with your family accepting your choice of the surgery.good luck for your op which proceedure have you gone for? X
I am having a bypass because at the seminar that was the one that sounded like the option most helpful to me and the way I eat. My husband was a little nervous at first and never having a weight problem he doesn't really understand but now he's totally on board and really supportive saved a weeks holiday to look after me he works away most of the time kids are great about it and only really told my mam and I laws lately when it was definite my mam was a bit off at first but now she's come round and offering to buy me a liquidiser I didn't have to see the psych dr so can't help there but just stick with it

Im going for the same op, its what i had looked into more, what stood out at the seminar and then the dietician suggested so im more than happy lol. My boyfriend doesnt have any issues with it although i dont think he really understands hes just happy to go along with it if its what i really want, me and my mam were going to do this together so shes fine with it although she has now decided to put it on hold for the minute, i dont think my dads over the moon about it but hasnt actually said so, he knows me and knows its my decision and nothing he says will change my mind. A couple of my best friends know and support me but appart from that i also havent told anybody else. X

Im going for the same op, its what i had looked into more, what stood out at the seminar and then the dietician suggested so im more than happy lol. My boyfriend doesnt have any issues with it although i dont think he really understands hes just happy to go along with it if its what i really want, me and my mam were going to do this together so shes fine with it although she has now decided to put it on hold for the minute, i dont think my dads over the moon about it but hasnt actually said so, he knows me and knows its my decision and nothing he says will change my mind. A couple of my best friends know and support me but appart from that i also havent told anybody else. X
It's good you and your mam are doing it together and can support each other my mam has always been big although not as big as I am now and I think now she wishes she could have done something about it when she was younger. Your dad will be pleased when he sees how well ,healthy and happy you will be but he's probably worried about you. I told work lately and have had mixed reactions though most are really supportive and excited for me I would be lying if I didn't say I am a bit scared but I need and want to do this I only really told people when I got the date through

Back