• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sunderland Royal Hospital

I really only told my mam n dad hubby obviously and kids who were in their 20's. Told 3 at work and 2 close friends its your business and the least that know the better til the time comes the waiting is hard enough without folks asking how long now. My hubby was upset when the hospital suggested bypass was best for me, it was the mist severe and the one he didn't want me to have we had a few discussions about it and he said I could go ahead b ut it was without his blessing. I told him that I coyldnt go on like this anylonger and that the doc says this is best for my body if you unsure you have to come and voice your worries with him, he did and put his mind at rest, don't gte me wrong he was still very worried as were my family and close friends who knew, however all have supported me fantastically my parents have driven me to all my appointments and have now been discharged. It has been a long 4 years but so much has been achieved. I WAS 45 when I had the op wish it could've been in my late 20's. I have relatively an easy journey, mainly constipation for me and bit of bowel colic which can be painful but have learned what to do when it starts. I still only have a tea plate at a meal time and can sometimes still leave food, I am not a sickly person and have never vomited anything back, some foods can make you dump but it is a game of trial and error what affects you one day won't another. I can eat just about anything now fish was a problem for me in the first year used to feel like it was stuck. The best advice I can give is stay away from sweet things bercause once the craving returns it returns with avengance. Drink water as much as possible, eat your protein first, keep your carbohydrates low plenty fresh fruit n veg. Low sugar and fat. The weight will slide off quickly in the first 6 months after that it slows a little after the first year the bulk of it is lost it is very slow after that. After 18 months I have lost no more but have managed to gain half stone as my weight plateaus out. I am a lot happier with my weight and shape now. I started this journey at 24st 11lb. I got down to 14st 5lb before Christmas but since then have managed to go back to just under 15st . I am a size 18-20 depending where I BUY FROM. I started at a size 32-34. Its been an amzing journey, I had sunsweet prune juice in the earky days for the constipation it really does work. For the bowel colic I have buscopan at the ready. My dumping sessions use to start with tummy pain and sweats till it passed through now I just get the sweats and a bit of disorientation. Start eating correctly now ladies and it will benefit you in the long run the transition will be easier for you. The puree stage I mainly had protein n veg pureedup fresh fruit and yoghurt, porridge, Weetabix these were my staple diet also home made shepherd pie, and stew blitzed in the liquidiser. Don't spend a fortune if you don't have a liquidiser, we had a hand held one or you can get then in ASDA extc for bout £6 or 7. For the amount if time you will need it its not worth it. Have alook at the bypass dialy menu page for ideas. xxxx Just ask if there is anything I can help you with. xx

Thanks that really helpful and great to hear from people who have had the op at Sunderland porridge is the new love in my life just hope I don't sicken myself before the op I start the milk diet a week come Wednesday and am quite looking forward to it I think it feels like the start for me. What vitamins do you take?

wEll straight after the op I had ursodoxcysallyic acid for gallstones for 6 months, (prevention of) Continued Lansoprasole for the first year after op, took a-z vitamin, iron tablet, adcal tablet, think that was it now I have the adcal still iron and vitamin, regular 3 monthly B12 jabs they aren't as bad as folks say I am a softy. Will get mine next week and flu jab one in each arm ha! how brave xx I have never looked back since op. Good luck with your milk diet didn't find it too bad. Ticked each day off on the calendar one by one. Will be thinking of ya nad will keep checking this page. Check out the bypass daily menu page lots of ideas on there for food if you trawl back through probably find some puree menus. xx

wEll straight after the op I had ursodoxcysallyic acid for gallstones for 6 months, (prevention of) Continued Lansoprasole for the first year after op, took a-z vitamin, iron tablet, adcal tablet, think that was it now I have the adcal still iron and vitamin, regular 3 monthly B12 jabs they aren't as bad as folks say I am a softy. Will get mine next week and flu jab one in each arm ha! how brave xx I have never looked back since op. Good luck with your milk diet didn't find it too bad. Ticked each day off on the calendar one by one. Will be thinking of ya nad will keep checking this page. Check out the bypass daily menu page lots of ideas on there for food if you trawl back through probably find some puree menus. xx
Wow that sounds complicated I will check out the recipes thanks for your help

Although waiting times are less in other areas my GP referred me to Sunderland specifically because he felt they were more likely to accept me and because they are the best in this field. I have another (quite unusual) condition which will impact on having surgery and they are probably more able to deal with this so if that means I wait a bit longer then so be it.
I guess I wll feel much better about it all after I have had my first proper appointment and have more of an idea what's happening. In the mean time I will try and get some weight off for then....

From seminar to surgery i was told 15 months. i saw the dietician 4 months after the seminar and she said the surgeon should see me within 4 months or they get fined now as they have to keep waiting times down, then after that surgery should be within 6/8 months or they are fined again.. I seem to be on track to these guidelines, so fingers crossed...

Hiya everyone, sorry I havent been on for a few days been a bit busy.

Had my pre op appointment today all fine I think milk diet starts on Wednesday then I have to go in on Friday 8th for op on Sat 9th can't wait for the next chapter to start

Good that's how I felt. Family were worried sick but I was quietly confident. Very calm throughout, even on the morning of the op. Yet today one of my teeth I just had repaired bout 5 weeks ago has come lose can't get into dentist till tomorrow afternoon and yet the world stood still at that moment that's what a worrier I am yet the wls surgery cool as a cucumber. Thinking of ya xx

Thats Great News Safcrazy, Not to long to weight now x

Hi

I was done at Sunderland. Fab. I was referred and it took 2 years, however I live in Middlesbrough. I couldn't transfer to James Cook or North Tees but I don't regret that now. I think that because these hospitals, plus Darlo are now doing bariatric surgery the waiting times will now come down, as everyone from the North east was being referred to SRH as the only option, and now there are others.
Best think I have ever done!

I had my bypass on Tuesday at North tees it was 6 months from start to finish and I know a few people at my first seminar had transferred from sunderland x

I'm not sure I asked at pre op but they said it was just one of the team it says Balpuri on the letter so hope I find out today hope I go down early tomorrow

hi I WAS UNDER bALUPURI BUT IN HOSPITAL IT WAS mR mAHAWHAR. H e was lovely xx thinking of ya xx

Back