• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

medication

Tracey37

Hi Everyone

Just want to know after gastric sleeve surgery , how easy is it taking your normal medication ? do u have to get all medication in liquid form for the first few weeks , and if so do you have to arange this your self with GP or dose the hospital arange this on the day you leave hospital ,

thanks guys :confused:

This is something that I would also like to know, someone will deffo know on the site . there are so many really helpful people so you will find out soon .

Good luck with your sleeve I'm due to have mine this Tuesday 29th Nov :) xx

cathykats said:
This is something that I would also like to know, someone will deffo know on the site . there are so many really helpful people so you will find out soon .

Good luck with your sleeve I'm due to have mine this Tuesday 29th Nov :) xx

Good luck with your surgery Hun , are u having sleeve also xx

Welcome to you both and good luck to both of you with your surgery :)
When I had my sleeve I couldn't tolerate any tablets unless they were dissolved or crushed for the first week or so. But, I soon discovered that the taste of crushed tablets was worse than trying to swallow them! :eek:

I left hospital with dissolvable paracetamol given to me by the hospital pharmacy and a pill crusher. Needless to say the crusher didn't get used on more than a couple of occasions.

Your GP should be able to prescribe any medications you have in a liquid form as long as they're available. I take an antidepressant which unfortunately was not available in a liquid form. I took a dissolvable multi vitamin until I was able to swallow them again without a problem. You may not be able to tolerate swallowing tablets at first but it definitely gets easier ;)
Hope this helps xx

I was on a LOT of meds; painkillers of various kinds for my arthritis, bp medication, and a LOT of food supplements also to help with my joints. I was also very worried about what to do.

My surgeon sent me home with what amounted to baby paracetemol , but chewable tramadol and lamaprazole. As to the food supplements/vitamins I found myself breaking open two dozen capsules every morning and mixing the disgusting bitter powder into yoghurt. It was absolutely gross but I did it. At my two week post op, my surgeon said I should carry on doing that till four weeks but I thought NO WAY, and I experimented with swallowing capsules one at a time (instead of the usual handful at a time) and it seemed OK. I can now swallow two at a time but sometimes I get sick afterwards.

Back