• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medications after op

jaxx

I currently take anti depressants which are slow release. I was told by my bariatric team to get them in liquid form for after my op. I went to see my GP regarding this and she's told me my particular medication doesn't come in a liquid form. The medication comes in capsules and has little pellets inside them, would I be able to open the capsules and have a few pellets at a time while I'm healing or would I have to come off them all together?

What about after I'm all healed, would I still be able to take these medications given they're a slow release?

Any advice would be very helpful, thanks.

I currently take anti depressants which are slow release. I was told by my bariatric team to get them in liquid form for after my op. I went to see my GP regarding this and she's told me my particular medication doesn't come in a liquid form. The medication comes in capsules and has little pellets inside them, would I be able to open the capsules and have a few pellets at a time while I'm healing or would I have to come off them all together?

What about after I'm all healed, would I still be able to take these medications given they're a slow release?

Any advice would be very helpful, thanks.

You will need to speak to your GP regarding this, i pressume the drugs have to be slow release, therefore liquid drugs may not work, to be honest a week or so post op you will be able to swallow tablet with no problem really.

not a good idea to open them i dont think as the slow realease doesnt work. im on the same sort. im ok now but had some issues best to talk to ur team x

I advise talk to your Gp & team prior to your surgery for advice....

I was lucky that all my meds were able to be transfered into liquid form which I took in hospital with me for their staff to administer...

On my post-op diet sheet it says you can start taking tablets again 4 weeks after surgery, but when I was in hospital & at dietician post-op appointment I was told under no circumsatnce take any tablets before 6 weeks...

I am now 5 weeks post-op from having my bypass...

It seems each team have their own opinion, but all seem to be very helpful in offering advice in these situations..

I hope you get it sorted hun..

Good Luck

This is something I've been curious about too as I take the anti d's and they give me dreadful heartburn on an empty stomach. I would rather go without for a couple of weeks than suffer that tbh but have yet to speak with anyone as not close to any op yet.xxx

I'm struggling with this issue myself, I still haven't been able to take my anti depressants since my op 5 days ago and the effects of not having them are now awful.
I don't know if it's withdrawal from the Vexarin, but I can barely sleep, I keep bursting into tears, I'm sobbing at the tiniest thing and just feel dreadful. Should I risk taking them?

I take blood pressure meds, including capsules, and I have been find, the Hospital and GP have told me to keep taking them.

I was off my anti ds for about a month after the op, as they couldn't get it in liquid form:(I was v depressed and couldn't wait to get back on them;)

Since earlier today I've spoken to my doctor and she is able to give me the anti depressants in tablet form, she rang them through to the chemist and my daughter picked them up an hour ago, I have taken one and so far so good fingers crossed.

I'm struggling with this issue myself, I still haven't been able to take my anti depressants since my op 5 days ago and the effects of not having them are now awful.
I don't know if it's withdrawal from the Vexarin, but I can barely sleep, I keep bursting into tears, I'm sobbing at the tiniest thing and just feel dreadful. Should I risk taking them?

Venlafaxine have terrible withdrawal symptoms and should never be stopped without tapering off the dose gradually. I'm surprised your GP didn't explained this to you. He should also have told you that with the XL capsules you can open them and sprinkle the granules onto food, just as long as you don't chew them.

Venlafaxine is the best antidepressant on the market, the main problem with it is that you have to be weaned off them SLOWLY you should never suddenly stop them. I hope you have got this sorted now.

Best Wishes

Rx

Back