• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medications after surgery

chris2710

Hi
At present I'm taking a number of perscribed tablets etc:
Insulin glargine - diabetes
Metformin - diabetes
Simvastatin - cholesterol
Bendroflumethiazide - blood pressure
Amlodipine - blood pressure
Doxazosin Mesilate - blood pressure
Omeprazole - reflux

I was wondering if any of you have had experience of these medications and whether you were still taking them after surgery, I'm down for a bypass?

Oh, I'm taking Orlistat as well but can't see that continuing after surgery

HI,

I am unable to answer from experience but would think as you lose weight you may no longer need most of the meds you listed, I would suggest you speak with your surgeon or gp.

Good luck with your journey. x

I'm not on those meds, but I am on blood pressure tabs, and straight after my bypass op, these were reduced to half strength. I think its due to the absorption of the new tummy.

And now they are looking to take me off them totally.

Omeprazole is fine post op, most of us take lanzaprazole as standard post op anyway so just make sure they don't give you that too and in effect double up the type of med.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I was not a bad T2 diabetic so my metformin was stopped straight after surgery with regular prick tests. These have all been fine, so no more meds, as you are on more meds they will probably check you closer, and they may not all go at once.

My Omeprazole was changed to zoton fastab, which is lovely to take, just melts in the mouth.

I did have rampril for blood pressure, but again, it wasn't THAT high, but did have high spikes in the night, anyway that also was stopped straight after surgery. But PG's were reduced.

Simastatin made me suicidal after 10 days so they were stopped straight away! I never did get onto any alternative, as they were trying to get other meds sorted first.

Good luck with your progress, I am sure that you will be on less meds straight after your op, and hopefully after a while drop them all !

I'm guessing as your weight drops you'll lose the need for most of them. Us bypassers have Lansaparole to stop us developing stomach ulcers, but since 6 weeks post op i've not had to have metformin for my type 2 diabetes also xxx

Thanks everyone for your responses, will be nice not to rattle so much, although I realise these will be replaced by multivits etc. Seen mention of B12 injections, will probably need these, there's pernicious aneamia on my mum's side of the family, and I did develop this when pregnant, 26 years ago, (baby fine), but after one injection after giving birth went on to produce my own.

Back