• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello

poppyowner

Hi
I am 37 years old and have been following Slimming World since 2002. I asked my Doctor twice before for Gastric surgery and both times he refused and once referred me for self esteem counselling and the second time put me on Xenical for a month. This last week I approached him again and he has sent a referral for me to get Gastric surgery.
I have type 2 Diabetes and this in particular is spurring my decision for the surgery - I have already lost some sight in one eye due to Diabetes and have been told that losing weight especially due to surgery would help my blood levels no end AND maybe stop the need for my medications.
Here is the referral he sent:

" Dear Colleague,

I would be grateful if you could see this 37 year old severely obese patient with a BMI of 42.6 who is keen to have Gastric Bypass as other measures of trying to lose weight have failed. She has been a member of Slimming World since 2002 and has tried Orlistat medication without effect.

She also has type 2 Diabetes but is well controlled on Metformin 500mg bd. Her HbA1C on 23.08.10 was 5.6% . She is a non smoker and is normotensive with blood pressure 131/80 on 09.09.10 and her total cholesterol is satisfactory 3.6 mmol / L on 23.08.10

I would be grateful if she can be considered for Bypass Surgery. please find attached patient's computer summary details.

Yours sincerely "

I ideally want the operation that prevents you over-eating with the result of vomitting as I do tend to struggle with portion sizes and never feel full ... there is one which I hear prevents you from ever regaining lost weight due to the calorie restriction. I appreciate there is a diet to still follow after the op but in my heart feel this IS the way for me.

Just hoping I get seen and get the op. Any tips / suggestions gratefully received.:)

Fingers crossed eh?!!?

Jill

Hi Jill x Welcome to the forum, you have come to the best place here for bypass info as we have a great group of really helpful friendly folks and the majority are bypassers.

You mustn't worry as you will find you are satisfied on a much much smaller portion of food...but the bypassers will be able to reassure you x

Hi Jill and :welcome: to WLS....Im a couple of weeks out from a bypass, there are loads of us on here so any advice or info you need please feel free to ask :D XX

Welcome to this site. There is loads of support and good advice on here. x

hi Jill and welcome to our lovely supportive site. Post-op after a bypass isn't so much a diet as a new way of life! Feel free to ask all the questions you need. The more info before your first appointment, the better! I look forward to following your journey. xxx

Hi there & welcome to the forum. I am pleased that your Dr has finally agredd to refer you..it may be a longish wait but it will definitely be worth it. As Charis so eloquently said, it's isn't so much as a diet, as a new way of life! As you have type 2 diabetes, a gastric bypass usually offers slightly better results in terms of insulin deficiency & hyperglycaemia, and yes, you are right, in turn this will hopefully prevent progressive sight problems related to diabetes. Good luck on your journey xxx

Hi Jill and welcome to the site. I am 4 weeks post op and learning to live with my new petite size tum!

Like you I was an overeater (large portion size not snacking) and I am loving the fact that I physically CANT eat too much.

As Angie above puts it so well this is the best op you can have for your diabetes issues so good luck on your journey.

Hello Jill and welcome to the site.

I had a Gastrib Bypass in May and have never looked back.

Good luck on your journey and if I were you I would have a good look round the site to see all the different options. You will learn loads. xxxx

Back